“Mixed review”

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
uk
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have just returned after spending a week at Flamingo Beach. When we arrived we thought we were being dropped off at the wrong complex intially as the name on the sign did not say Flamingo Beach it was Blue Village, but we were in the right place.
I was also a little confused that Thompsons had given it a 4T rating but its official rating was 2 which I didn't realise till after I'd booked it
My initial impression of the reception area was it was a bit dated and did not fill me with promise. I had e mailed prior to departure to request a quiet room with a nice view.
We were given a bungalow which matched my request which was in a nice location.
There is a safe in the room which costs 15 euros a week & 5 euros refundable deposit.
The air conditioning remote control was 10 euros refundable deposit. As we were there in November we didn't need it. There was a ceiling fan in the bedroom which was noisy initially then quietened down when it had been in use a while.
The bungalow consisted of a roomy living area, a kitchen with fridge/freezer, 2 ring hob,microwave,kettle,toaster & coffee maker.The bathroom had an over bath shower.
The bedroom was ok for storage, the beds were not that comfy both myself & my husband had a stiff back after a couple of nights.There was a hairdryer in the room above the dressing table unfortunately if you sat on the chair to use it the chair was to low to see in the mirror and if you stood up to use the mirror the hairdryer lead was too short. Also the lighting was not good for applying your make up, but this I find a common occurance in hotels.
The balcony was a decent size with good views, especially for the sunsets.
We were well looked after by our room cleaner who came in 5 days a week and was always very pleasant
There were several restaurants on site. The buffet restaurants were El Chef & Bella Vista. After 19.30 hrs the Bella Vista was adults only. I enjoyed the meals we had. The staff did seem to be working hard,I don't know if they were short staffed but I did find on several occasions the clearing of the tables in the Bella Vista was slow. We went in one evening about 20.15hrs about half the tables were occupied the rest of the tables had been used but not one of them had been cleared it looked a mess. We ended up getting some cutlery & serviettes and setting a table ourselves.The was some food on the floor which must have been noticed by the staff because whilst we were there several of them walked round it.
We also dined one night in the Green & Grill which is in the AI package but you have to book.. The first night we had a steak cooked to order which was very nice so we went again a few nights later for a repeat sadly this was a tougher piece of meat & was not as nice.
We were also entitled to one meal in the Tavern By the Sea which was a set tapas meal with wine and we both enjoyed it.
There are several bars onsite.We were always served at the pool bar by the Green & Grill by a very pleasant always smiling young lady.
The evening entertainment for me was a let down. There was the Blue Moon Bar which had not my choice of entertainment .If I'd gone with my young granchildren it would have suited us. The Atlantic Bar was manned by a hard working bar man and was adults only. Unfortunately it consisted of 3 TV screens showing different sports and loud music. The chairs were a hard plastic.A nice lounge area with comfortable seating would have been nicer.
The was an excellent range of pools from the main pool area which had some small slides,a laned activity pool and a quieter pool.We did go in one of the pools the water was quite cool so as long as you kept swimming and didn't stop still for more than a few minutes it was just about bearable.The beach towels were 10m euros refundable deposit.
The hotel was in a good location located next to a nice beach,9 euros for 2 sunbeds & an umbrella. The harbour was about 10 mins walk and then another 10 into the centre.We walked to the Marina about 40 mins walk but you can get a bus. We also walked in the other direction to the lighthouse which took about 50 mins.
The weather was cloudy but warm about 23c in the day, cooler with the breeze
I wouls consider going back to this hotel if I was taking my granchildren but would probably look elsewhere if we were going as a couple

5 Thank helenfUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our second stay at this hotel on an All Inclusive basis. This year we were also accompanied by my parents and my wife's sister and partner, none of whom had been to Lanzarote before.

We were pleased to see the hotel still maintained it's high standards. We were in apartment A49 this time, right next door to A50 where we stayed last year. We found A49 to be slightly better as it kept the evening sun on the balcony for longer. My parents were in A44, but my sister-in-law had requested a quiet area away from the pool and were in bungalow 18, which was simply huge!

The army of cleaners and maids were evident the whole week, keeping the place pretty spotless despite the hotel being full to capacity. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful to a fault, and actually seem to enjoy their jobs!

A couple of changes had occurred since last year, in that the Bella Vista restaurant was no longer open for lunch time, but a new restaurant, the Green and Grill has opened adjacent to the lane swimming pool. Also, the El Chef bar area no longer serves drinks during the day as it is now a coffee shop (not included in the All Inclusive), but drinks are obtained by self-service from the new Green and Grill. This new restaurant is also open from 11am-5pm for a good range of snacks outside of normal meal times.

An observation we did make was that the Bella Vista restaurant where opted to have our evening meals as it's adults only after 7:30pm didn't seem quite as well run as last year. Tables were taking longer to clear than our previous visit as there didn't seem to be enough staff in evidence. The food was still good, but again not quite as good as last time. Having said that, there is such a range on offer at all meal times I am sure that all but the most fussy eaters would be able to find something they liked.

One mistake I did make was not informing the hotel of my lactose intolerance. Soya milk is always available so it was no real problem (even though I don't like the stuff) but halfway through our week, cartons of Lactose Free milk suddenly appeared so I guess I wasn't the only one, but someone else had obviously mentioned they had the same intolerance to the hotel staff. I'll make sure I do next time!

We were pleased to find out that pool towels were still available free of charge for a 10 euro deposit, and the air conditioning remote controls are also free with 10 euro deposit, so it's nice to hand these back at the end of the week and get some money back. The only thing we paid for was use of the safe in the room which was 15 euros for the week with an additional 5 euro deposit.

The kids club was more active than last year, but we were a month earlier this time so I assume the hotel was busier. There seemed to be plenty of entertainment for the little ones, with daytime activities and evening entertainment, though no proper entertainment for adults once the kids had gone to bed.

We had a superb holiday once again at this hotel, and will be returning next year. We were pleased that the rest of our party also liked the hotel as much as we did, and loved Lanzarote.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room away from the pool areas, let them know by email before you travel as my...
1 Thank Mark B
sunderland
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Great place, I have just returned from a week at the flamingo Beach Hotel, having stayed there with my wife and our 9yr old grandson. We picked this hotel because of the kid’s activities, and to be honest it was a great choice.
Yes it is the end of the season and the hotel is tired but clean and no major problems, with great staff throughout. Rooms, large enough, well laid out and most of all clean and cleaned.
Food, plenty of it and varied, always well cooked, plenty to drink with your meal, but I am glad I went in November as I could see it being hectic in the peak season.
Free flowing; serve yourself lager from 10:00am what can I say. Ice cream and softies all day for the grandson, only downside the spirits leave a lot to be desired.
Plenty of things to do for the grandson whilst me and my wife could relax, loads of kids clubs around, plenty of pool activities, loads of lifeguards also,
A very large complex with lots to do for the kids, right on the beach and supermarkets right next door, not part of the hotel
night life limited but great for kids and if the kids are happy it makes a good holiday
It’s close enough to the main town (15min walk away) where there are plenty of bars and restaurant’s to eat and drink in.
I would recommend this as a good family resort.

Room Tip: depends what you want as there are that many,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan M
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Returned yesterday from a 10 day break at the Flamingo Beach resort. Absolutely perfect holiday, could not fault the place in any shape or form. Apartment was fabulous, very spacious and clean with good facilities in the kitchenette, even though we were All inclusive it was lovely to have a full size fridge/freezer, along with a kettle and crockery, even toaster and microwave if needed. Washing up liquid and sponge was even provided, which added a personal touch.

Food was plentiful with lots of choice on offer at each meal time. I have read reviews that state the village is over run with children, but have to say, go in November, although still a lot of families, everyone is catered for and there were always plenty of sun beds available around every pool on the complex.

The animation team were excellent, and included all children, irrespective of nationality, I have been to resorts over the years where this hasn't happened and British children have had to sit on the sidelines.

The beach is absolutely prefect for a long lazy day if you do not want to stay round the pool, and is only a stones throw away from the complex so you couldn't wish for a better location. Craft market at Rubicon Marina was really quaint with lots of hand made goods for sale at reasonable prices. Taxi to the Rubicon is less that 5€ so well worth a trip.

Staff are all very friendly and go out of their way to make your holiday experience enjoyable.

All in all a very relaxing holiday and I will definitely return again next November, as just what you need before the rush up to Xmas and to give you a nice little glow before the bad weather sets in.

Room Tip: We were in B66 which wasn't too far from the pool area and restaurants but far enough away for p...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate G
JJonayAfonso, General Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear customers, Thank you for your email. I am very happy that your experience in Flamingo has been as expected. Hope to see you soon again.
Kind Regards
Jonay Afonso .
General Manager.
Newquay
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Returned yesterday (7-14 Nov). The Flamingo Beach Resort was lovely. Couldnt find anything to complain about. Flew from Exeter. My husband and I both in our middle sixties. We were in apartment D3, which was the ideal spot for us. Our bedroom overlooked the main pool and the lounge/balcony over Playa Flamingo and the wonderful island of Fuerteventura. You could sit there all day and enjoy the view and watch the boats sailing up and down, if you wanted to. Air conditioning brilliant and silent and even a celing fan in the bedroom but too noisy to keep on at night. The food in all three restaurants was great, so much choice at all meals. Always hot and fresh. The Bella Vista was adults only from 19.30. Although there were lots of families there, mostly scandinavian, and few British, it was no problem for us. There were always plenty of free sun loungers and hardly any towels reserving them, as usual in other places we have been!! Apartment was clean and had everything you needed even though we were AI. The bus stop into the centre of Playa Blanca is just outside the resort. It costs 1.35 euros each to the centre or a far as the Rubicon Marina. You can walk to the marina all along the promenade and it takes about an hour each way. The adult evening entertainment started about 8.45 to 9.45 and although there were still children there, it was very good. Certainly a holiday to remember. We wanted a holiday with sea, sun and relaxation and we certainly had that. Would love to return with our children and grandchildren who, I know, will love it. Thank you First Choice.

Room Tip: D3-the top floor of two floors. Wonderful views and very quiet despite overlooking the main pool fro...
1 Thank ColwellNewquay
Surrey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I just Its been over 3 months since we returned from 2 brilliant weeks at the Flamingo Beach resort in Playa Blanca. I couldn't recommend this place high enough - the food, accommodation, entertainment - everything was just excellent. We have 3 kids - 6,4 and 1 and they all had a ball and are STILL singing the songs from the nightly entertainment and talking about the reps they just adored. It was worth every penny and we have excellent memories forever - thank you all at Flamingo Beach!!

Room Tip: We have bungalow 46 at the far end of the complex - nice and quiet which suited us and plenty room f...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 123-deeds
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I tend to go a bit overboard on writing reviews, mainly because I personally like to read long reviews with lots of details, however as not everybody does I’ll write a brief summary of the hotel first, then a more detailed one below. If you’re just enquiring to decide if you want to book the brief one will do, but if like me you’re booked for next year and like to start doing your homework on the place, read the detailed one.

Brief Review –
Excellent resort. Plenty of food choice, all well cooked and tasty. Good selection of drinks and snacks too. Location of the resort is one of the best features, being right on the beach, and only a short walk into Playa Blanca. Rooms were good, but don’t bother upgrading to the Superior rooms, you barely get anything extra, not worth the cost. The entertainment teams of the First choice kids Clubs were great, and the Evening entertainment team (who also work throughout the day) were amazing. Holly, Mel, Jamie & Frank, you wouldn’t believe they’d only been performing together this season, very good shows. Would recommend this hotel, particularly if you have kids and want somewhere where they’ll never get bored and where you will always have something to do, as much or as little as you’d like.

Detailed Review –
I travelled with my partner and our 3 kids (all boys aged 13, 9 and 2) and my partners parents. We went for 2 weeks from the 20th October until the 3rd November.

Hotel grounds and facilities –
The hotel itself is very clean, the grounds are well maintained and generally everything is well looked after. The only small issues were some broken parts of a fence near the kids clubs, which I had to quickly grab my son from before he fell through and down to the path below. Hopefully these are just minor maintenance issues which will be resolved quickly, but they weren’t in the two weeks whilst I as there. Otherwise the staff are always cleaning, the grounds are tidy and has some nice places to walk around.
There are toilets in most areas, which are generally well looked after and clean. There is a laundry room with 2 washing machines and 2 dryers, (€3.80 per token for one cycle in either), there are luggage scales in reception to check your bags on return (€1) and a couple of airport style luggage trolleys to get your cases to and from your rooms. There is a games room, with pool table, air hockey, arcade machines etc, as well as another pool table and air hockey table outside the games room near the Blue Moon Bar, and another 2 pool tables next to the main swimming pool.
Most of the resort is flat, with ramps in most places, although we stayed in 49A and from I saw most of blocks ‘A’ and ‘B’ had steps up to them. A is the first floor, whilst B is the ground floor, so ‘B’ had a couple of steps and ‘A’ was up 1 full set of stairs. I think some of ‘C’ and ‘D’ block were different but it might be worth checking if you use a wheelchair, or have a child in a pushchair. Based in reception there is an internet area with 6 or 8 pc’s (€1 per 10 mins I think), and this is where the first choice and ‘Blue Village’ reps are based.

Restaurants & bars –
The food at the hotel is great. I think any bad reviews are generally either fussy eaters or people who expect too much from an all-inclusive resort. As long as you have been to an all-inclusive before and know to expect a buffet where some things might be repeated once in a while then you’ll be pleasantly surprised by this place. There is one main restaurant (below reception) which is open from breakfast, lunch and dinner. This serves a good variety at all meals, from full English breakfasts and fruit, cereals etc, to lots of meals and salads at lunch and dinner. Evening meals always had a chef cooking meat fresh to order, beef, pork etc. self-serve drinks including beer, wine, hot drinks and soft drinks. Obviously fruit juices at breakfast, even champagne for breakfast.
As well as this everyday restaurant there are 4 other restaurants which you are booked into when you arrive, although you can easily change the date or times and even re-book to visit again if it is not too busy.
The other restaurants are the Tex mex restaurant (above reception) which serves Mexican food and is also a buffet style. This was one of my favourites and if you like burritos, quesadillas, fajitas, etc., then you’ll enjoy it. This restaurant is also open for breakfast and generally is a bit quieter and a nicer atmosphere than the main breakfast restaurant downstairs. However the choice is slightly poorer but still more than you could wish for.
The next one is called the Green & Grill. It serves generally meat, and has a chef cooking steaks to order. It also has ribs, lamb pork, roast veg etc., and plenty of deserts. In my opinion this is the nicest restaurant in terms of look and feel. It is very light and airy, nice views of the sea, and always seemed very relaxed. This one is also open in the day as a snack bar, although it more like a fully stocked restaurant than a snack bar. It is also where the poolside bar is located serving all types of drinks, from cocktails to coffees and beers to slushies’. The restaurant in the day does requires you to be dry and dressed with shoes on, fair enough, however there is an outside seating area where the dry one of your group could bring food to the other as we did when the kids were just dragged out the pool long enough to eat. The snack bar is open 11am until 5pm so could even be great for an early evening meal if you prefer. The evening meal was the one we re-booked into most, 3 visits in all, as the steaks were delicious, and as good as I’ve had at any restaurant at home and even some good steakhouses.
The other 2 restaurants we table service restaurants and they were the ‘La Bambola’ Italian pizza and pasta restaurant and the ‘Tavern by the Sea’ Mediterranean style restaurant. There felt very different as they were much quieter and more personal. The tavern by the sea is right on the sea front and has lovely views at sunset. The staff are very friendly, however the choice is very big. I enjoyed the food but if you’re fussy you may struggle to be satisfied. The same can be said for the ‘La Bambola’, which is behind the tavern by the sea, and only really does pizzas and a few pasta dishes. I enjoyed it but again, if it’s not your thing you may be disappointed. The ‘Tavern by the Sea’ is open in the day to the general public and it not part of the All Inclusive in the day, however we were told you get a discount as an AI guest.
The other places to eat and drink were the bar near the quiet pool. This serves drinks, and I saw some people getting food from there, just chips and cakes I think though. This is also where the carte d’or ice cream is, which is nice. Finally the evening venues are the Atlantic Bar, which is behind the Green & Grill. This has a kid’s playground outside so good it you want to let the kids burn some energy while you relax. It also has a pool table, and a TV showing sports. However it is adults only after 9pm. This doesn’t seem to make sense in a family resort but may suit some people. The other venue is the Blue Moon Bar. This is the big entertainment venue where the show are put on. I’ll come onto the entertainment teams later, but this bar serves all variety of drinks, has pool tables and air hockey right outside, again great to let the kids play while you relax. It has an outside area with a TV showing sports and plenty of seating inside.

Rooms –
This would be my only negative, not because the rooms were bad, just because we upgraded to a ‘Superior’ room which cost almost £200 extra and to be honest I don’t think it was worth it. Other reviews have said it was worth it but maybe they got a better room because I wouldn’t recommend it. Anyway, the room we had, which was near reception was a 1 bedroom apartment. It had a decent kitchenette, although not sure when you’d us this. But did have microwave, hob, kettle, coffee machine, full sized fridge and freezer and the kitchen had a good selection of crockery and cutlery. The main room has a sofa bed, sideboard and wardrobe with good storage, iron and fan, ironing board, small table and chairs as well as a TV with a selection of channels, some which you have to pay extra for though. The extras you get for the superior rooms were a flat screen TV, DVD player (which was useful to keep the kids quiet while you get ready), bathrobes and slippers which were not the best, and some of the extra TV channels which you would otherwise have to pay for. The bedroom had a double bed, which as usual is made up of 2 single beds together, so can be slightly annoying if you roll into the middle, but otherwise quite comfortable. We had a cot in our room which made it a bit cramped but otherwise would have been ok. Had hairdryer and good sized wardrobe, which is where the safe is. You do have to pay €15 per week for the safe, plus a €5 deposit for the key which I think is utterly ridiculous to be honest. Most hotels I’ve stayed in offer a safe for free, or maybe just a deposit for the key, €35 for my 2 week stay was very steep. You also have to pay €10 deposit for the air con remote, but as you get all of this back it isn’t so bad. We had a decent sized balcony with table and chairs, parasol, 2 recliners and a clothes airer. Most buildings are 2 storey with some being just one storey, mostly block c I think.

The local area –
The location of the hotel is fantastic. Right on the beach front, even from our room right at the back of the resort is was about a 2 minute walk to the beach, other rooms are literally looking at the beach 20 yards away. The seafront promenade is a lovely walk, and is just 20mins to the centre of Playa Blanca, or about €4 in a taxi which can be booked easily at reception. The beach in front of the hotel is very nice, crystal clear waters and has sun beds and parasols to hire, pedalos, and a beach front bar (not part of the hotel AI). We walked into Playa Blanca several days and evenings and it was always nice. On the sea front by the hotel there are a couple of shops and restaurants if you fancy a change, and out the front of the hotel, there are other shops, and doctors and pharmacies. There is a doctor on site, however if you do need to see a doctor speak to the first choice reps who will direct you to a local doctor, about 5 mins away in a taxi (€3/4), who is totally free as long as you have you EHIC card and passport. We took our son as he became unwell and we were seen within 15 mins.
Last but certainly not least – The Entertainment teams –

I cannot say enough about the entertainment teams. Unfortunately due to the way first choice rotate people, many of the team will be elsewhere next year, however I have visited 2 holiday villages now and I must say if you have children, or even if you don’t, they are fantastic, work hard all day and all night and do a thoroughly amazing job. Whilst we were there it was the change over from the First choice season, to the Thomson Blue Village Team (predominantly Scandinavian), however despite the First Choice reps being in their last weeks, the effort was still top quality. If you do happen to go out of season the Blue Village team are also brilliant, very good performers, from the clowns, to Lisa Fillip and Leila (apologies if they are wrong) who put on some great shows.
The Holiday Village I 5 Live team were great. A big pat on the back to the very talented team, Frank who was so down to earth, excellent with kids, and a great showman on his swing night. Jamie who was again great with the kids, never seemed to stop and put on some great shows too. Mel who was very small in size but massive on personality, crazy and very talented. So much fun. And last but not least Holly, again so friendly and down to earth yet put on some great shows, brilliant voice and my little boy couldn’t get enough of Mel and Holly. The daytime kid’s teams are great too. Everybody works so hard and you would think that after having to entertain and impress all the guests all day every day for the last 6 months, they’d finally start getting a bit less enthusiastic but they don’t. They keep it going until last thing at night, until the last night of the season. Anyone who isn’t a regular holiday village person, and wonders why the extra cost compared to a normal hotel with their own entertainment, I cannot recommend it enough. If you have kids, they will love the fun and specifically tailored kids clubs. Far beyond anything any other place has to offer. The I 5 live team work all day and night doing quizzes, family games, shows and anything and everything. Finally, I quick mention of the crèche. We were keen to let our little boy visit the crèche to give him time with other toddlers, however we were slightly apprehensive as he doesn’t yet go to nursery and wondered how he’d cope in an unusual environment. We didn’t need to worry, the girls working there were so friendly, absolutely great with the kids, and always had loads for him to do. He didn’t come out once with a picture he’d painted or a crown he’d made. He never wanted to leave, just wish we’d booked him in for more sessions. For anyone interested, it was €11 per 2 hour session I think, works out slightly less if you book a few sessions at once.
If you spend your time on holiday all together, visiting markets and exploring outside the hotel on your own, then this place would still be good however you would make the most of what it has to offer. However if you, like me, want you kids to be able to make friends with kid their own age, have fun doing things they wouldn't normally get the opportunity to do, whilst also having chance to do things together as a family.

Would defiantly recommend this hotel, I would go back but as we enjoy Holiday Villages so much, we would probably try another one. We went to the Tenerife Holiday Village last year and loved it, we didn't believe any others would come close to the Tenerife one, but Lanzarote did, and surpassed it in most areas too.

Room Tip: Don't Bother upgrading to the Superior Rooms, they are barely any different, certainly not worth...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank jmedavis
Dear customers, I wish to sincerely thank you for your recent review on our hotel. Guest Feedback is extremely important to us and my staff and I use this information to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable stay with us. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments on our staff and hotel Many Thanks
Jonay Afonso
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada
Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
#6 of 37 in Playa Blanca

Been to TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!