“Great family holiday”

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Great family holiday”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just back from a week here. We had a really great time. The rooms were really clean and due to the refurbishment, were new and modern with everything you'd need eg fridge, micro, hob, glasses, etc. We had an upper room which had a private balcony (the lower floors were not private) and a sea view over to Fuertaventura, which was lovely. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the sleeping situation for the kids. Their beds are the sofas (not a sofa bed) in the lounge area and the top layer could come off and go on the floor as a mattress if you were worried about them falling off. However it did worry me that their beds were in the room with the main door and the doors didn't have any childproof locking system, so I wasn't sure that it was safe for smaller kids prone to mischief sleeping there on their own. On the upper floors, there was a 'gate/door' on the balcony which locked, but again, I'm sure some kids could fathom it out. As a result, my husband slept in the lounge and I slept in the room with my daughter. The beds were new but quite 'creaky' due to their wheels, so I was glad to be on the upper level for noise purposes!!

I was alone on this, but I felt there was a really bad smell outside the le chef restaurant near the pool toilets, but this was a small issue for me despite my sensitive nose and you could only really smell it on the corner of the restaurant. Not bad enough for me to complain tho or not to go to the restaurant.

The entertainment team were great and worked tirelessly to ensure guests were happy. They were around from morning til midnight....I often wondered when they ate/slept!! And it was clear they all enjoyed themselves and they loved the kids.

A few people have commented about the sun beds, but they now chain the beds up at night and unlock them at 9am which I thought was great.....saved getting up at 6am to reserve a sunbed as we've had to do in other hotels. People would be waiting from around 8.30 but everyone had a fair chance of getting a bed when they were unlocked as there were batches of beds spread round the pool. However there were still the seasoned professionals lifting 8/9 beds at a time!! This was round the main pool, not sure about the smaller quieter pools. There's also a lifeguard on the pool which gives you peace of mind for the smaller/less confident ones.

I'm a fussy eater and I found the range and quality of food to be very good. The Green and Grill as best for lunch as you could get snacks like toasties, baked potatoes, pizza, hot dogs, pasta, burgers, baguettes, etc. whereas the le chef was more a place for having a meal. At night le chef was lovely and they would regularly take food away to replace with fresher food. There is also a chocolate fountain which all the kids love. The other restaurants were good too and when we arrived we had been pre booked into the restaurants, but you could change the booking if required.

Overall, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Upper levels were private and some had awesome sea views. I personally would stay away from the Blue...
9 Thank 324Family_of_3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Can only agree with LoriMO7. You can't beat this type of holiday if you have children in 3 - 10 age category. I do have a 12 and 10 year old and they still enjoyed this holiday. Having Escape the club for 12 - 15s meeting point out near the pool was a touch of genius as my shy girl could assess if other girls her own age were there before she chose to join in. My 10 year old was a bit past the younger club activities but went to a few she was interested in. As this was our third hv she knew what activities were on offer. Accommodation was clean and kept that way by staff our whole holiday. Due to refurb was in excellent condition. I too celebrated my anniversary while there and asked if we could go to Green &Grill to celebrate which we did it was fantastic and because the location is so good finished our evening with a bottle of bubbly on the beach. Perfect. The staff and reps throughout the village are welcoming and hardworking. They work long hours and are so pleasant. Lovely long promenade to walk if you wanted to stroll of an evening and ideal for early morning runs which I did quite a few times in a vain attempt to counterbalance the high quality and amount of food I was tempted with. As my children are older this will probably be my last hv although I did say that last year! Due to thinking this I asked the reps as our bus left to indulge us in a last Choco-latte which they happily obliged us with. As they said " who can resist a bit of choco-latte!"

8 Thank Lesley J
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived on opening day on the 26th June, we arrived about 22:30, Reps were there to meet us and say Hi....think they must have been at that all day so there was no dancing about for us! Receptionist was lovely and let us leave our luggae at reception as they kept the buffet open with cold food for guest who had arrived late.

We had 2 apartments and they were both clean and well presented, we had a lovely lady Gabriella come in nearly every day and she always made sure the place was spotless! I had some issues in my apartment with a leak and the room manager came right over with maintenance, within half an hour he had offered us a 2 bedroom apartment across from where we were so moving was a pain but it wasnt far.

The food choice was good as well, we found it quite varied and it was always replenished and the staff were always checking it, making sure there was enough. The Live Cooking was also nice. We preferred the Green and Grill for our lunch as the kids managed to get pizza and hot dogs here. Green and Grill in the evening was also lovely, steak was good. Tex Mex and Italian were both nice, my partner said the nicest meal he had was at the Italian!

As I said we arrived on the 1st day and were so lucky for the first 4 days as it was lovely and quite, always sun loungers but after this time it became quite silly trying to get a sun lounger around the main pool where the activities take place....it's where the kids want to be. We seen people putting towels out just after midnight so be prepared to be up early, they say they remove towels and we seen it happen a couple of times if no one has been back within half an hour or so.

Kids entertainment and clubs were great, my 4 year old wouldnt really go but my 6 year old loved it!! Especiialy the late kids club at 9pm, which is good because you get some peace to watch the show. Shows were good, really loud but good. The reps put in an amazing amount of work and they deserve to be recognised for that, they are happy ALL the time and when ever they see a kid they speak to them, get Hi 5's,everything. My Daughter absolutley loved Anthony who I seen mentioned here in another post with HV's Got Talent, he sang Let It Go and it was fantastic, everyone loved it and my Daughter thinks he is the funniest guy she has ever met and that's saying something! Lois, Danny, Mikey, Lacy, Anthony x2....so many to mention and I wish i could remember them all.

All hotel staff were so friendly and would give out lollipops to the kids, nothing was too much bother for them. Lovely.

Obviously there was some teething problems but Reps and Staff always about and they get it sorted really quickly.

1st Holiday Village experince and I would have booked for next year if they has my dates availible but we have now booked for Tenerife and I hope it's as good as here.

9 Thank Gemma1101
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Spent 10 days here in July 2014. Hotel recently refurbished and room was very comfortable and well furnished although the new shower did not have a full screen meaning the floor got soaked. Although the hotel offers free wi-fi it does not work very well. You have to constantly logon on as you move around the resort and you are given a ridiculously complicated username and password. The satellite TV reception is not much better, constantly buffering when you are watching. Small issues but nevertheless annoying particularly to my teenage daughter. The quality and range of the food is fantastic. The staff were all very friendly and the First Choice reps also very good although they could be a bit more pro-active in getting adults involved in the activities available. The evening entertainment is what you would expect - kids show, bingo and then the entertainment team. The hotel is right on the beach and within a pleasant 20 minute walk of the town centre along the seafront. There is unfortunately the usual fiasco to get a sunbed around the pool. There are really not enough beds but you get the predictably selfish families who take a bed for each of the parents and all their children who then spend most of the day in the pool or at an activity. Really the same as everywhere else you go so not unexpected. Overall a really good holiday. 8.5/10.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the activity pool and beyond are quieter. The rooms with A are on top so less noisy.
5 Thank Grant K
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a fantastic holiday at the Flamingo Beach Resort. It was our first time at a Holiday Village and don't really see how you revert back to any other holiday when you have children between the age of probably 4-10 years old.

We arrived on the 26th June were welcomed with canapes and bubbly. The First Choice staff were all dressed up and waiting outside the hotel when we arrived to welcome all the children. All the hotel staff were friendly and check-in went smoothly.

The apartment we had was perfect for the 3 of us and everything was lovely and new. The room was nearly everyday we were there.

Over the two weeks we never once struggled for something to eat, we thought the standard of food was really good considering the number of people they have to cater for. The breakfast choice was amazing, loved all the fresh fruit, hams and smoked salmon!
We had a lovely meal in the Green Grill and it was a nice break from the busy main restaurant. We had great pizza in La Bombola and another good meal in the Tavern by the Sea. It was our anniversary when we were away and we decided to go out but wish we hadn't as unfortunately the meal was no where near as nice as the food available at the hotel. All the staff that worked in the restaurants were friendly and they work really really hard. Also thank you to Javier, the food and beverages manager, who was very polite and welcoming.

All the First Choice team were excellent, my son loved them all (especially wee Laura!). A big thank you to Laura, the swimming instructor. Our son enjoyed his lessons and came on so much while we were on holiday, well worth the money. The activity group were great, I can't single anyone out as they were all excellent. Try the raft building/racing, guarantee you'll have a laugh.

Great holiday overall and didn't want to come home when it came to it! Would definitely consider going back.

6 Thank LoriM07
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a week at the holiday village,was a bit disappointed with the fact there was not a proper sofa bed as stated when booked the holiday, as feel when you spend a lot of money on a holiday my child should not be sleeping on a sofa .The reps were fantastic , and although was great entertainment feel was aimed at children aged up to 6/7 yrs old .My 8 yr old was bored for a couple of days as the childrens clubs was age 6yr to 9yr then another one 9yrs to 12yrs , as My son is nearly 9 he still had to go in the 6yr to 9 yr group so found all activities were a bit young for him .Luckily all the guests were great and friendly and he found friends in no time at all to play with in the pool ( which was fffreezing ) :-) Is a nice place especially for families of young children , and the holiday reps deserve a medal for all they done , The water park was fantastic only 5min walk away and bought tickets from reception ,But i would not return to flamingo beach resort due to not enough entertainment for the age of my children.

4 Thank JOLLYJO37
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Arrived on 26th June, met by the reps team dancing around. Didn't initially appeal to my miserable Scottish nature, but the kids loved it, and the reps turned out to be an amazing group. We've been on various holidays of this type but I have never seen reps work as hard as they did at the Flamingo Beach, they were incredible.

The accommodation was really good. No hot water on the first night, but mentioned it to one of the reps and it was fixed within an hour. The sofas were fine for kids sleeping on, don't believe the hype. They were only a foot or so off the ground anyway, but we just used some of the many cushions to give the kids a soft landing in the very unlikely event that they fell off.

The daytime activities were great not just the organised kids clubs and football coaching, but also the stuff that just happened at the poolside - lots of games for the kids.

The nighttime stuff was good, our kids are 8 and 10 so we gave the early stuff a miss, but the i 5 Live stuff was great for the kids. Some of the local 'entertainers' weren't up to much (the rock covers duo emptied the bar in record time) but the reps talent show on the first Wednesday was brilliant. Lots of acts from the reps, the highlight being Anthony running round the bar with a mop on his head singing the song from Frozen. Sounds a bit odd, but the whole place loved it.

Food was good in all the restaurants, especially the Green and Grill at lunchtimes. Local lager is decent, but the wine doesn't seem to have been up to much.

Overall, it's a great place, the staff were amazing, facilities were good, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room, and ask for one near the centre, some of them are a reasonable walk from t...
4 Thank David G
#17 of 38 in Playa Blanca
Los Zocos Club Resort
Los Zocos Club Resort
#11 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!