“Excellent Hotel, Good Service...This is my Fifth visit, which says it all!”

THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel, Good Service...This is my Fifth visit, which says it all!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I keep returning to this hotel, as I feel very safe and comfortable here, and as a solo traveller this is very important to me, unlike some larger hotels which are too big and impersonal.
This is my fifth stay since 2011, which speaks volumes.....

The thing that struck me during this stay is lots of the staff are still at the hotel and have been since my first visit. This shows to me that Iberostar must be good to work for and the hotel must clearly value their staff. All the staff are so friendly and helpful and really work hard. Nelson is a great barman, and Manuel and the animation team, as well as everyone else whose names I can't remember.

I had requested a particular room area, which I was delighted that yet again I got which overlooked the pool and sea. Also I had a bottle of wine in my room on arrival which was a lovely gesture for I assume being a return visitor.

The bedrooms in the main hotel are large, clean, and comfortable, with a lovely big balcony. The bathroom was a good size and the shower had a good power too it. I didn't have enough coat hangers in the wardrobe for all my clothes, so I contacted reception, and they arranged for 8 more to be brought up.
If I was to find any criticism it would be the lack of drawers to keep tops/undies in, and no full length mirror to see what you look like, and perhaps a more powerful hairdryer.

I see a few people have complained about the food and lack of choice. Personally I find the food at this hotel very good. I tend to only eat salad, rice, fresh fish and lots of fruit and don't really eat meat. There does always seem to be lots of other choices though. I can't comment on the desserts as I never have them. I like the fact they have a selection of cheeses and crackers including blue cheese, which is my favourite. Another touch I like is that at breakfast they bring round fresh coffee/tea in pots, whereas some other 4* hotels have weak hot drinks that are self service from machines!

The soft/alcoholic drinks in the dining room are self service red/white/rose wine and beer as well as water and fizzy drinks. I was all inclusive but I understand you can uprade from half board to all inclusive on drinks at the dinner table for a few euros if you so wished. There is a good selection of alcohic drinks included in the all Inclusive price. My only criticism on the drinks is that there is only one diet drink and that is coca cola light. I would like to see diet lemonade, no added sugar squash/cordials or slimline soda or bitter lemon.

The animation team were friendly, happy people who always tried their best to keep people amused and to encourage people to join in the games in the day such as boules, archery, table tennis, aerobics. This was nice as they were not in your face, but it was all there if you wanted to participate. They also remembered peoples names and made you feel so welcome. Fernandos, Sol, Laura, and Billy do an excellent job, and Vikki who was new. There was a mixture of outside acts and the animation team doing shows such as Grease and Mamma Mia.

My only criticism is that after the entertainment finished at 10.30pm everyone either went to bed, or went upstairs to the Piano/Balcony bar. It is such a shame that the large hall downstairs isn't utilised as much as it could be. A suggestion would be to have a DJ after the show playing current music and the team to encourage people up on their feet dancing, as opposed to piped old music and a small drop down screen showing black and white old movies.

There is a spa area in the hotel, which I didn't use on this occassion, but I did use the Gym, which I noticed had some new equipment in, which was good.
The swimming pool is lovely and has jacuzzi jets in and built in seats/loungers which is a nice touch, but sadly due to the weather I didn't go in it this time.

There are a couple of areas in the hotel where you can borrow books/magazines to read. One is on the fifth floor and the other is inside where you get towels from by the pool bar.

A new addition to the hotel this time was SAGA. It was great to see that another room in the hotel was being utilised as a SAGA lounge, where the over 50's could go to do quizzes, have tea and cakes, meet their rep, and play games.

What I like about this hotel is that the hotel overlooks the sea, and there are good walks along a promenade that runs to Central Playa Blanca. The marina has a market on a Wednesday and Saturday, which is nice to visit, as well as a Marina with restaurants and designer shops to visit (takes around 10-15 minutes to reach depending on speed of walking). The main central hub of Playa Blanca where the shops, bars and more restaurants are takes about 25-30 minutes by foot to get too. There is FREE shuttle bus that runs three times a day from the hotel and back which drops you by the beach, near the Princesa Yaiza Hotel.

Thankyou Iberostar Staff for making my stay so welcoming yet again. See you all next year x

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank cojoba
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We first would like to thank you for your loyalty and trust in our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel, as well as for the time you spent to share your recent experience on Tripadvisor; it is very rewarding to read that, once again, we were able to make your stay special form the moment you arrived until the moment you departed.

Moreover, we thank you for your very kind words towards our staff, their great attitude and genuine kindness are undoubtedly one of our hotel’s main strengths and we will not fail to congratulate them all on your behalf for making you feel at home among us and for their contribution to your wellbeing during your holidays in our hotel.

We also greatly appreciate your positive mention for our buffet restaurant because the as you may know at IBEROSTAR we lay high value on the choice of our products and the preparation of our menus, striving to offer a wide range of options in order to please all palates, we are glad to read that we could conquer yours.

Furthermore, we also thank you for your nice comments towards our animation staff, their enthusiasm is contagious and they strive to offer a wide variety of leisure and sport activities throughout the day as well as entertaining evening shows for our guests to bring back some unforgettable memories of their holidays among us.

Last but not least, we are enchanted to read your satisfaction with the comfort and cleanliness of your room as well as with the location of our hotel, within an easy walking distance to the beautiful beaches and the many dining and shopping options of Playa Blanca.

Once more, thank you for your trust and for choosing us again and again. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

IBEROSTAR Papagayo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Troon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have just returned from our 2nd holiday at Iberostar Papagayo and we found it to be just as good , if not better , than our first visit last year . The superbly hardworking staff are the backbone of the facility from the front desk staff on arrival to the excellent cleaning staff for the bedrooms . The male and female staff that cover the restaurant , bar and evening entertainment bars are the most hardworking and dedicated team that you could encounter , Nelson , Luis and Ana are classic examples for the hotel .
It is advisable to pay the Full Sea View supplement as the views across to the Papagayo beaches and also to Fuerteventura are stunning and it also gives you your own private sunbathing terrace in the mornings in full sun .
We again went all-inclusive and the food choices are extensive to cater for the fussiest of eaters with the Mexican themed menu night being the best of the week .
The evening entertainment is mostly provided by members of the entertainment team who are neither professional singers or dancers but by nature of their job titles they try , through hard work , to entertain the customers . Yes its mostly mimed , but its a light-hearted , warm and a cosy way to spend an hour in the evening .
The hotel was undergoing some cosmetic upgrading in the lounge and reception areas and as this was highlighted as required by previous reviewers then it is hard to criticise the issue .
My one area of concern for the owners is the communication status - The hotel needs to have Sky TV installed giving the residents more choice of English programs , and some background music channels . Also as part of the comms refurb , the old televisions should be retired gracefully , being.replaced with modern flat screen varieties . A costly investment for the owners but would bring great benefits in customer satisfaction reports .
The paved walkway cliff top stroll to Rubicon Marina is a must and onwards into Playa Blanca takes approximately 35 minutes . The hotel offers a courtesy bus almost into Playa Blanca and can be used to break either the outward or return journey .
Overall , a fabulous holiday experience and we will return next year .

Room Tip: Full sea view rooms are well worth the supplement .
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin m
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Colin,

We highly value the time you spent to share your experience and suggestions about our hotel IBEROSTAR Papagayo, we took into consideration all the suggestions you brought up to our attention and will definitely look into them. Your wellbeing and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

Your enthusiasm for our staff is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation; we will certainly not fail to convey your very kind compliments to all of them.

In IBEROSTAR we have a true passion for gastronomy and are fully aware that meals are an aspect of primary importance for our guests to enjoy their holidays abroad, this is why our expert team of chefs strives to surprise our guests with high quality culinary delights both local and international, so as be able to savor many different flavors at every single meal and make it one of the best added values to their holiday among us;

Once more, thank you for your heartwarming review; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and look forward to welcoming you back next year, ensuring you in advance of our utmost commitment to offer you another “fabulous holiday experience” among us.

Warmest Regards,
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Mmmm. Where do I start?? I read a lot if reviews on here and I like to have an open mind when I go anywhere but unfortunately some of the negative points rang true! The air conditioning was awful and it wasn't just my room as we had 3 rooms! My mini bar fridge was actually warm with mould in! When I told reception they said it wasn't a fridge but a mini bar!!!The hotel decor is dated and tired looking but overall it's pretty clean. I thought 1 tennis court and no football pitch for the kids was inadequate for a hotel of its size.The food wasn't too bad on fact my wife and I agree it was one of the good points of the hotel. I did see atleast 3 people complaining about the food but I didn't find it that bad! The walk to playa Blanca is a nice one, not too long but long enough to feel like you've earnt that ice cream. The entertainment wasn't bad, the magician they had was really good and very talented! We didn't go in the pool it didn't look to inviting with its black tiles, down to taste I know but it just didn't look that great to us! Overall not a bad hotel but could spend a bit on updating and improvements to become a lot better! Probably give it 3 stars would be fare.

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank Munkeymilk
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your personal impressions on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

We lament hearing your dissatisfaction with the lack of air conditioning however the temperatures in December being cooler we use the equipment to heat the pool so as to make it more inviting for our guests; The mini bar in the room is a maintainer, not a fridge; following your comment of course we have controlled all the mini bars and found them to operate properly.

We also took good note of your comment on the activities for kids and although we understand that you would have expected a football pitch or a tennis court, we do offer a full entertainment program in our Mini Club for our little guests to be entertained and meet other children from different nationalities and enrich their holiday experience among us; nevertheless a full description of our hotel amenities and services is available both on our website and brochure.

On the other hand, at IBEROSTAR we believe that nice leisure activities and entertaining evening shows are part of the real holiday feeling this is why our animation team strives to offer a wide range of activities for our guests to join in, we are glad to read this was a pleasant aspect of your stay among us.

Moreover, the passion for gastronomy being one of the prime pillars of our company, we are glad to read your satisfaction with our restaurant where our professional Chefs strive to surprise our guests with a high standard gastronomy and the possibility to savor the best of the local cuisine as well as the finest international delights.

Last but not least, we thank you for pointing out the cleanliness of our installations, being fully aware that this is an aspect of primary importance for our guests to feel comfortable in our hotel.

Once again, thank you for your time; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and would be enchanted to accommodate you again in our hotels all over the world and to assist you on the planning of your next holiday through our call center from where we can give you all the relevant information and help you choose the IBEROSTAR hotel that best meets your holiday needs and wishes.

Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This was our second time in 3 years at hotel Iberostar Papagayo. A very clean hotel with good staff customer service. Entertainment was a big let down and nothing had changed or been added to the hotel in the last 3 years. We found the staff were always helpful, polite and courteous. The biggest disappointment was the food in the restaurant - we had main meal pork for 6 out of 7 nights, when questioned we were told that this was because of the high percentage of German tourists and they liked this pork bonanza. Felt more variety on carvery was badly needed to cater for other needs. Also disappointed that there was no facility still for coffee or tea making in the rooms. Did get the feeling that the hotel may be struggling or penny pinching or affected by economics. We will not be returning to this hotel again - can do better....Martin and Karen

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Martin and Karen,

First and foremost we thank you for your return visit to our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel for your holidays in Lanzarote and for the time you spent to share your impressions on your last stay among us; your feedback is highly appreciated as it allows us to determine the aspects of our services that can be improved in order to satisfy all our guests needs and wishes.

We took good note of your comment related to our entertainment and lament your dissatisfaction however we have a wide weekly program that is adapted to the kind of clientele staying in our hotel depending on the season.

Moreover, we deeply regret your disappointment with our buffets in comparison to your last visit; nevertheless we would like to point out that, like all the hotels of our brand we do have in place a 2 weeks menu rotation so as to give the possibility to savor different flavors at every single meal throughout the week; In addition, every evening we offer 4 different types of meat in order to cater for all nationalities.

We also regret your dissatisfaction for the lack of a coffee/tea machine in the room; however it is possible to order hot beverages in our bars throughout the day free of charge for our All Inclusive guests.

On the other hand, we thank you for your wonderful comments on service which of course have been shared with the entire team. It is always a great source of motivation for our staff to hear that our guests appreciated their services and attention to detail.

Last but not least, we are grateful for your highlight on the cleanliness of our indoor and outdoor installations; at IBEROSTAR we strive to give total confidence in this area, being aware that hygiene and cleanliness are aspects of primary importance for our guests to feel comfortable in our hotels.

Once more thank you for your time and constructive critics; our goal is to assure our guests feel comfortable and fully enjoy their visits. We are eager to regain your confidence during another occasion if you gave us that chance.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Spent last week at this hotel and first impressions were ok. We were told that there were no basic rooms left but that we would be upgraded to a family suite. I believe this was because we travelled with my 3 year old grandson and they wanted possibly noisy little ones away from the main hotel.Family suite was good though except for the steps leading up to it - a ground floor one would have been better - having to lift the pushchair up each time was a bind.
Definitely not a great place for a family holiday - maybe in the summer its better. Very quiet and no music or entertainment round the pool. The water in the pool was absolutely freezing - colder than the sea. Mini disco for the kids was very poorly attended and as it was in a big and dark underground room was a bit depressing.Staff did their best though.
I think the hotel best suits older couples (60's and above). Food was reasonable although we were only half board which meant buying drinks was expensive.So a tip on that would be to spend 6 Euros each for adults, 3 Euros for kids to upgrade to all inclusive drinks for the evening meal.
Would I stay here again? No would want more of a "Spanish" feel around the place all in all hotel disappointing.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with children - chances are high you will be in the family suites - which are...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susie905
Dear Susie,

Although we regret reading your disappointment on your holiday experience at our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel, we are grateful for the time you spent to share your feedback on your stay, so we can take your vision into consideration in order to improve our daily services.

It is quite disheartening to read you concluded that we offered you an upgrade to a family suite because of the noise that may come from your room having your grandson holidaying with you because we just wanted you to feel more comfortable and placed you in a quieter area of the hotel for your little one to be able to have a quiet afternoon nap and undisturbed early evening sleep.

Moreover, we would like to point out that our animation team offers a wide animation program throughout the day for all our guests to join in and it is adapted to our clientele; unfortunately we cannot accept children under 4 years old in our Mini Club as reported in our website and brochure; the main pool is heated during wintertime, we are sorry to hear that you found it too cold.

On the other hand we thank you for pointing out the efforts of our staff to make all guests feel welcome and well cared after; their great attitude and commitment to deliver excellence in their services is undoubtedly one of our hotel’s main strengths.

Last but not least, at IBEROSTAR we have a true passion for gastronomy and are fully aware that meals are an aspect of primary importance for our guests to enjoy their holidays abroad, this is why our expert team of chefs strives to surprise our guests with high quality culinary delights both local and international, so as be able to savor many different flavors at every single meal and make it one of the best added values to their holiday among us.

Once again we would like to thank you for your feedback which gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service. We hope to see you again soon ensuring you in advance of our utmost commitment to offer you a very enjoyable holiday experience with IBEROSTAR.

Warmest Regards,
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

As a lone female staying at hotel I felt really safe and everyone had a smile on their faces.. couldnt of asked for more ( well maybe more sun as it rained a couple of days but it was the end of November!) Reception staff couldnt of been more helpful - I arrived early and had to wait 90 mins for my room which wasnt their fault but they sent me a bottle of wine to say sorry and up graded me to a sea view - which was really special.... its the second time I've stayed here and will definitely be going back - excellent value for what i paid - half board - the breakfast were amazing and there was always something to choose from the vast array of choices in the evening.. lovely walk to the Marina or use the free shuttle bus to town

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank B1gstuff
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your favorable comments following your last stay at our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel; we are sincerely grateful that you decided to come back to our hotel.

We are very happy to hear that you felt well cared for throughout your stay among us and will not fail to congratulate our staff for their commitment to guarantee that all guests fully enjoy their stay in our hotel.

Moreover, we highly appreciate your praising comments on our gastronomy offer because in IBEROSTAR we know that meals are a very important aspect of our guests' overall holiday experience, this is why our professional Chefs strive on a daily basis to prepare a wide variety of typical local dishes as well as the best international delights in order to please all palates, it is very enjoyable to read that we could conquer yours.

Once more, thank you for your return visit; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and look forward to welcoming you again at your earliest convenience.

Friendly Regards,
Siauliai
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel and were very disappointed.Just huge monster-no face, no soul,The location was quite good as we had a car, but its quite far from the center of the town if you want to walk.On the other hand- the beach was close. Staff was very friendly, but the room and the restaurant -sorry-never again.the food was quite good, but the restaurant was not cosy at all, .And I think we had to be informed in advance about "stone brick view" from the window of our underground !!! room. There were so many Canarian style cozy hotels... So it was the worst choice of the hotel and the worst way of spending such sum of money.No recommendations to anyone.

Room Tip: ask and insist for the higher floors
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Egle B
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Egle,

Although we deeply regret reading your disappointment on your stay at our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel, we thank you for sharing your thoughts here on Tripadvisor so we can take your vision into consideration in order to improve our services.

We are sorry to hear that our installations were not to your liking and that you may have expected a more “cozy” atmosphere; however a full description of our hotel and different views from the rooms as well as many pictures are available both on our website and brochure.

We encourage you for future holidays planning to have a look at our website or contact our call center from where we can guide you and give you all the relevant information for you to choose the destination, hotel type and services that best meet your holiday needs and wishes.

On the other hand we are glad to read your satisfaction with the friendliness of our staff and the quality of our gastronomy offer in our buffet restaurant as our expert team of chefs strives to surprise our guests with high quality culinary delights both local and international, so as be able to savor many different flavors at every single meal and make it one of the best added values to their holiday among us.

Last but not least thank you for pointing out the location of our hotel, right on the seafront and about 20 minutes walking distance to Marina Rubicon and half an hour to Playa Blanca.

Once more, thank you for your visit and time; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide ensuring you in advance of our best intentions at all times.