“Great honeymoon”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great honeymoon”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just come back from 11 nights at this hotel and we had a great time, as it was our honeymoon we got a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room when we arrived. The staff were friendly and helpful if you needed anything. The food was nice there was lots of choice. The only downsides of the hotel were that the night time entertainment was held downstairs in the basement which was really hot and there was no air conditioning in there. We were told that gentlemen had to wear long trousers in the dining room for dinner which my husband did but whilst we were in there we noticed quite a few people were just going in in shorts and nothing being said to them. And also there was notices up saying not to save sun beds as the towels would be removed but if you didn't get a sun bed by about 9.00 you'd got no chance of getting one so I do think more sunbeds are needed.
But we would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
1 Thank Sharleen G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Please note!! We travelled June 2009 as a family of 2 adults 1 child (4) apologies for the delay but this hotel is really great!!

Our holiday was the first one as a family on our own without other family and friends. We were very nervous. Fortunately there was no need to be.

As we arrived and walked into reception we were told to put our luggage to one side and it will be brought to our room. It was really hot and we were served ice cold glasses of fresh orange a really nice touch, and something that we hadn't had before. We checked in and then made our way to our room.

The rooms were great simple but immaculately clean. We had a sea view which is worth every penny! The room was spacious and well maintained.

One of the highlights of this holiday has to be the food it was amazing!!! There is so much choice and the quality is of an excellent standard. We loved it.

Playa Blanca is lovely and a short beautiful walk overlooking the sea. Once in Playa Blanca the place is beautiful with restaurants across the marina nice to relax and have a cold one.

All in all this was a great holiday with great food, a great hotel, a great resort and great entertainment. Entertainment is professional every night with kids disco before well worth attending every night!!

Would I recommend............ I already have to many many people :)

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BigDenz69
Paisley, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked this hotel for my mum and dads 50th wedding anniversary. They just arrived back today and loved this hotel. On arrival their room was not acceptable as they were looking at a brick wall after speaking to the reception staff they were moved to a room with a pool view which they loved. They loved the food, staff, entertainment and location of the hotel and would go back without hesitation. Thanks Papagayo for making this a memorable trip for my mum and dad on this special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool or sea view
1 Thank mclaumi1
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here with my wife at the start of July, just before most of the schools broke up for the summer. We went all inclusive and stayed in one of the junior suite rooms overlooking the sea. The location of the hotel was fine; just a short walk to the nearest town on a flat sea front route.

Firstly, the room was clean and fine. I'm not sure what you get extra for a junior suite, maybe the sofa? Possibly the walk in wardrobe? The one thing that surprised me is that there was no included minibar with the all-inclusive (this was the first all-in I've stayed in that didn't have it - including other Iberostar). This just seems a little tight - I like a beer while my wife gets ready for the evening. Having to pre-order beer at about 3.50 euros, this just seemed excessive.

The food was very good and all buffet style. Yes it's mass catering and will never be up to al a carte standard but it was fresh, tasty and changed from day to day. The pool bar served a smaller selection but this is to be expected.

Drinks very good, I can't give you a comprehensive list but you had either local gin, beefeater, gordon's or bombay in the all inclusive (there were others that you had to pay extra for). A good selection if you ask me. One word here is that the pool bar only served local spirits.

Right, now the facilities. I didn't go to the downstairs song and dance room - it's just not me. What others have said about the pool is spot on, there's signs up everywhere saying that you can't reserve sunbeds and towels will be removed. They never were. About a third of sunbeds were in use at any one time with towels on all the rest; including two people reserving three so they had something to use as a table.

The only other thing I'll say is a general point about all-inclusive hotels that dawned on me during my stay and isn't specific to this hotel. People in all-inclusive hotels don't tend to leave the complex as much as other hotels. This means the pool area becomes the kids playground and I would rather not spend my holiday sat opposite a playground. It is fine for families though. How about an adults only section? The rooftop would do, I would think more people would use it for adults only than as the current nudist section (it is used, I checked looking for somewhere quiet - I didn't think anyone would be there!).

Overall, a very nice hotel. Possible better for families than couples.

2 Thank stuartR001
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

To give the hotel it's dues, it was a good, family friendly hotel, especially for the price (£450 half board, 6 nights). It was in such gorgeous area in between Playa Blanca and the Papagayo beaches that we didn't mind the 2.4km walk to either, especially as the coastal path was beautiful. The hotels pool area, although completely oversubscribed, was very nice and the hotel came across as a clean and safe place for families.
However, I think the 4 star claim is incredibly bold. The food quality was poor in our opinion, the reception staff weren't always helpful or friendly, the facilities in the room were standard at best. We were also quite annoyed you had to pay around £15 to rent the safe and also £5 to hire the tennis courts for an 1hr - a fact not made clear on their website. To me, a 4 star would have these facilities as standard. The biggest disappointment for me was just the general business of the hotel - to be fair at the time they were at capacity however the facilities they have cannot physically hold that many people. Dining and the buffet evening meal was like feeding time at the zoo and the poor waiting staff were rushed off their feet - a system really needs to be looked at to make this more efficient. Also, did not appreciate that fact the hotel had a rule of "no reserving sun beds" yet because of the sheer amount of guests, people were getting up and reserving at 6.30am! Another system that needs to be reviewed.
In summary, I can completely understand how this place is ideal for all inclusive families as from what I could gather, the entertainment for the kids was good and the hotel was built completely with children in mind. However as a young couple who wanted a bit of quiet (hence why we didn't end up in Puerto del Carmen!) and a bit of 4 star treatment, we didn't feel that at all. It just wasn't for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dannii P
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at THe Mirador Papagayo Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Although we deeply lament reading that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel did not live up to your expectations, we would like to thank you for sharing your observations with us because this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service, which ultimately is the goal of IBEROSTAR.

We also regret that our buffet couldn´t meet your expectations, mainly because the quality and the diversity of our culinary offer counts to our strengths. We take your comments regarding our cuisine very seriously, because we wish that our gastronomy remains a very special treat for our guests.

As you well say the reservation of sunbeds is forbidden by our house rules, we sincerely apologize if this happened during your visit and commit to enforce the respect of our pool rules so as to avoid receiving this kind of feedback in the future.

Moreover, we lament hearing your comments on our reception staff, their professionalism and genuine attentiveness count to our strengths, nevertheless we will not fail to share your review with our head of department for revision, and of course if necessary, for improvement.

On the other hand, we are grateful for your highlights on the safety and cleanliness of our hotel and overall installations; as you well say, our hotel is mainly family oriented and we strive to give total confidence in these important areas.

Last but not least, we thank you for pointing out our location affording amazing views over the ocean and the lovely island of Fuerteventura.

Hopefully we will be able to fulfill your expectations in the near future, and remain at your entire disposal for any request you might have regarding coming vacations. Our main commitment is to offer the best vacation to our guests, based on the service provided by professionals and the delivery of high quality products; therefore we are always willing to guide you in our call center or through our webpage to make sure that you book an IBEROSTAR hotel that can make all your wishes come true.

Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Papagayo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Will be honest here no flowering things or miss out any faults.
Arrived at hotel and was impressed by how clean and impressive the hotel looked, and we had booked a junior suite with sea view. Wow what a view, very few in Europe have views like this hotel.
Junior suite had folding down bed in sofa for kids which was ok, parents had two single beds pushed together. Large bathroom and what a view!! Damn said it again.
Air conditioning not working properly which resulted in my daughter passing out, but to be fair to the hotel within 10 minutes of reporting this we had mobile air con unit at our door, so to be fair they resolved it very quickly.
Also patio door would not lock but again within 10 minutes the maintenance team we at the door and fixed!

First few days no issues with sunbeds but within a few days this changed as large numbers of Spanish families arrived and tried to take title from Germany for how many beds you can reserve without ever using them. Again to be fair the life guard when anyone complained about beds not being used but reserved, took the towels off as reserving beds is not allowed ?
Sorry but this is not real world every day beds were reserved !!
On the drinks FAB, all international brands no local plonk.
Oh and go all inclusive so much choice on drinks and saw so many people being asked 6 euros for a cocktail on pay as you go, with free ice cream and soft drinks for kids so much choice.
The food oh where do I start?
To start with we were very happy and there is a very large choice of meals but goat and rabbit?
On the plus side starters and desert choice is one of the best I have seen , however on mains I found myself with pizza and chips some nights but the paella is to die for and is on every night .

But so is pork, in every guise you can imagine !
Is there a fire sale on this stuff as there was so much of it, every sitting!

The staff in restaurant are very nice and also at bars at night but it can be very hot in the main restaurant , but you also have poolside bar which serves drinks and food but there is some days where you are shown how to make paella and sangria also mojo sauce which is fab with potatoes or meat.
Hotel in the main very good but the night entertainment is dire, with the team doing their best with shows but singing along to songs being played it is not great, but all other hotels bring in other acts the ones here are terrible with exception to Spanish dancers who were very good!
There is a main bar on fourth floor with no music even though there is a piano, with no other background music at all what do you do at night when shows suck?
A pity because hotel very very smart and very clean with marble floors you could eat your dinner from!
Pity because views are incredible ,

Room Tip: Room 358 had great views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Craig M
Dear Craig,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your recent holiday experience at our IBEROSTAR Papagayo hotel as we are continuously striving to perfect our services for our valued guests.

At IBEROSTAR we believe that nice leisure activities and entertaining evening shows are part of the real holiday feeling this is why our animation team strives to offer a wide range of activities for our guests to join in, we lament hearing that our shows were not to your liking and shared your comments with our head of animation for revision and of course, if necessary, for improvement.

The gastronomy is one of the prime pillars of our company and our talented Chefs strive to surprise our guests with both local and international; for instance, pork, goat and baby goat, are typical Canary Islands ingredients together with other meat such as rabbit, chicken or veal; we of course ensure more popular dishes such as Pizza, Paella, Pasta and grilled meat and fish in order to please all palates; we are glad we were able to conquer yours with our wide array of starters, homemade paellas and mouthwatering desserts.

Moreover we are grateful for your kind comments on service which of course have been shared with the entire team. It is always a great source of motivation for our staff to hear that our guests appreciated their services and genuine kindness.

Last but not least, we are delighted to read your comments on the beauty of our hotel, the comfort of our rooms, the cleanliness of our overall installations and of course your triple highlight on the unbeatable views from our sea view accommodations.

Thank you again for making us your choice hotel when visiting Lanzarote; we remain at your entire disposal for any request you might have regarding coming vacations and encourage you to contact our call center to help you choose your next IBEROSTAR holiday among a wide range of beautiful destinations worldwide.

Sincere Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Papagayo
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Hi folks , we are just back from a 10 night All Inc holiday , after reading a few of the reviews prior to going and having a running email battle with the hotel regarding the bizarre ruling of men MUST wear long trousers at dinner !!! I was more than slightly apprehensive about our holiday to say the least. Well here goes , I will rate the different aspects of the hotel out of 5 and give some of my reasons
1. Room 4/5 , we were given a family suite in the annexe building over the road from the main hotel which was of a good size for family of 4 , I marked the room down as the air con wasn't great , a tad noisy and in the bathroom the shower head was burst in the cubicle , so I had to change it with the other shower head in the bath and the shower door kept coming off its runners , no big deal I agree , the kitchen area was fine if a bit tired looking , but again , who spends there holiday in the kitchen !!!!
2. Pool Area 4/5 , the annexe building has a kids pool and a bigger pool that was cleaned every day , with plenty of sun loungers that no one found the need to reserve at silly times of the morning ! What a refreshing change , the other pool in the main hotel was different completely with people rushing out at 7 in the morning to throw towels on loungers and for the record it wasn't the Germans !!!! I would have loved the hotel to have removed them and leave them in a pile . Back to the sanity of the annexe area , to be picky , some of the tiles need to replaced as they are cracked or broken and the plant life needs to trimmed backed as I whacked my head on a cactus !!!! Bloody sore
The drinks shack could also open earlier than half 12 and close later than 6 .
3. Restaurant 5/5 , the food and staff in the restaurant cannot be faulted , it's the best selection of food I've ever had in an all inc , with plenty of choice for even the most fussy customer .the staff work like Trojans to keep the placed spick and span even at the busiest times . Only gripe , why oh why must the guys wear long trousers !!! Drop this draconian rule , it's OUR holiday and WE are the paying customer ( Rant Over )
4. Bar . 5/5 again the staff are the stars of the show keeping everybody served and amused . Couldn't fault .
5. Location 5/5 right on the front with fantastic views over to fuertaventura , lovely walk along the promenade right into the marina or the main hub of playa blanca .

Would we go back to the Iberostar Papagayo ? We probably would , but not any later in the year as it was getting a bit overcrowded for my liking . We travelled here on the 6th of July for 10 nights .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family