“best for self catering”

Caybeach Sun
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
“best for self catering”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

If you want fantastic all inclusive get your wallet out! Brilliant self catering apartments, no complaints at all. Reception staff were friendly, spoke English and couldn't do enough to help when we missed our bus for a trip. Maids in 5 times a week,no problem with pools, yes your towels were removed if u put them out too early but you sat on a bed until the guy had been round by 830 and then you could leave them safely.
Playa blanca has such fantastic restaurants I have no idea why you would go all inclusive to eat in the same place every night!
Only place I wouldn't eat in playa blanca is the Indian on the front (very expensive) and the place with the parrot outside (rushed meal and woe betide you complain about ur food)!
Would definitely go back here for self catering apartments!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank JaneNunnick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My husband and I took our two boys (aged 5 and 6) and stayed in a two bed apartment. In fact what happened was that we were given two one-bedroomed apartments with an interconnecting door which gave us a lot of space indeed. The TV was not brilliant and you had to pay extra for channels which we didn't do. We did however pay for the room safe.
The maids came to clean the apartment every few days.
The kids club running in February consisted of one lady - but my children got on well with her and they had 2 hours a day. During this time my husband and I went for a swim in the adults swimming pool and gym. Then the mini disco after dinner. My son even won bingo one night and given a bottle of alcohol!!
There was a little shop on site to get essentials but we found ourselves walking out towards the beach and hanging out there for restaurants etc.
Journey from airport was only about 20 minutes. There was no traffic. We stupidly booked a private transfer with the holiday company that set us back nearly £100! I think a taxi at the airport would have been a lot cheaper!

Room Tip: Don't book a private transfer with the holiday company you book with. Better off getting a taxi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank IreniePoo
Accrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have noticed the difference in reviews on this hotel from self catering customers and all inclusive ones. Self catering reviews seem to be mostly happy with the hotel because they go out at night and all inclusive customers tend not to be happy because the evening entertainment is so incredibly bad. Hopefully this review will help you in deciding whether to book this accommodation.

I will start with the good points first -

The rooms - Nothing like the pictures online but they never are. I would say these are one of the best 3 star accommodation we have been to. The towels where changed regularly and the cleaners were excellent. The only problem was they forgot toilet rolls once so we just popped down to reception to get some. They are more like apartments than hotel rooms and we found them to be fine. Yes you do have to pay for air con but these are individual air con units and must cost a fortune to run so did not mind too much but was a little miffed as it was supposed to be all inclusive.

Pools - We loved them. We could get beds easy enough even in the height of summer this August. They take towels off beds before 8am if left unattended. You need to go down about 7.45am and stay with them till past 8am and you will be fine. Most of the beds are falling to bits but about 25% are new so I just found a spot and swapped old ones for new if needed. The pool bar served your normal snacks but got busy at times. I know some have complained about floor tiles but the maintenance guy was replacing some of them on one day and I saw the pool cleaned out 3 times although they could of started doing it earlier instead of making the children wait when it was supposed to be open. The area could do with cleaning more as this area is very windy at times which blows litter/cups about.

Food - I honestly don't know what people expect. It's probably the best 3 star food we have ever had. Most of the Brits where complaining about the food but to be honest these where the type of people who want to eat burgers, hot dogs and chicken nuggets all day long. The only problems I found was the sweet island was almost the same everyday and could do with more choice and the usual thing with 3 star hotels of trying to find a clean plate. The staff in here are fantastic, friendly and incredibly hard working.

Location - Not too bad, about 10 minutes walk from the main beach resort area. I really liked playa blanca and may visit again in the future.

Now for the bad points -

Entertainment- Now it states the hotel has low key entertainment not non existent entertainment. If you are all inclusive you expect to be entertained on some level but this hotel has the worst evening entertainment I have ever witnessed and is a massive let down. It is just blatant cost cutting. They have one girl working all day and all night and at night she does not even have a microphone! We had bingo twice where we had to use tooth picks instead of pens and the worse quiz I have ever seen one night. It's the same music every night and kids are running wild because they are so bored! We spent far more than we would normally because we had to go out because we where so bored and it's had such an affect on us that we are thinking of going self catering for the first time ever next time.

Drinks - The wife said she could not feel any of the alcohol in the mixers and sometime the soft drinks did not taste right. The red wine was fine in the dining room but awful in the so called entertainment area.

To summarize -

The hotel is what you would expect of 3 star and most Brits just like complaining for the sake of it. If you want British food stay in Britain and some the moaning at the hotel and on here is way over the top. The hotel has real potential but as stated by me and others is badly let down by the evening entertainment which kind of spoilt it for us. If you are self catering you will probably enjoy it. If you are all inclusive take a few hundred more euros !!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank David-Holgate
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I read the reviews on here before I travelled but I wish I hadn't bothered as I was worried for no reason!! The reception staff were very helpful and definitely speak English! We requested our room to be away from entertainment bar which is what we got, it was lovely and clean and the maids came three times during the week to clean it. The pool area was lovely. The life guard was on duty between 10-6. There's a great selection of pools. There's a baby pool, a pool with water slides for bigger kids, a pirate splash area, and two large pools. There's
a pool bar which serves drinks and snacks. We were self catering so can't comment on the food. Having read the previous complaints about broken sun beds and slippery floor around the pool, I would say the floors are tiled so if children run they will slip. Some beds were broken however we had no problem getting three beds around the pool each day. There's a shop near reception which sells everything and reasonably priced. The location was excellent.The beaches are 10 mins walk and a great choice of restaurants about 15mins. As a 3 star hotel, you get what you pay for. If you want 5 star then you need to go to the yaiza or H10 just down the road. We were on a budget and very happy with the hotel. I was unwell the first night and had to visit the hospital and the hotel was so welcoming with my family. They passed on messages and arranged taxis. The downside of the hotel is that there is no entertainment on in the evening.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura S
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I was ecstatic that we had booked a holiday to Cay Beach Sun. The rooms looked amazing, and the food sounded delicious. But when we arrived, reality hit. It was atrocious.
The reception service was terrible, the receptionists didn't understand a word we said. She sent us to our room and it wasn't ready. We then waited and once we arrived, the bath was still dirty and we had no toilet rolls.
We then went down to the pool and the pool bar had no fizzy drinks, and whatever you asked for, they gave you something completely different. I was served rum and come twice, when I asked for a coffee!
The food was disgusting, nothing matched, I literally lived on a small plate of chips once a day because it was all horrible. The waiters were rude, and the entertainment was terrible.
Don't go, save yourself the boredom and hassle. SAVE THE MONEY!!

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Chloe J

Travellers are raving about these Playa Blanca hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I came Here with my Girlfriend and we both enjoyed ourselves but everything has its bad sides.

We stayed here in 2013 and this is the first chance ive had to review the hotel.

VERY CLEAN(everywhere including rooms), VERY POLITE STAFF.

food was terrible and im pretty sure the lunch food was recycled for dinner and there wasnt much difference between the two.

the drinks were great throughout the day.

nighttime is really dissapointing drinks finish at 11 and the only nightlife in the hotel is for kids only.

The one woman band who works tirelessly from the morning until the night

Room Tip: dont go all inclusive.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kane l
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at cay beach sun for 11 days (10th August-21st) overall it was an average stay, you basically get what you paid for, like other reviews this was one of the cheapest hotels to stay in Lanzarote in August. We'll start off with the positives: the location was great, only a 10-15 min walk to the beach (turn left and left again) very easy to find, once near the beach there are lots of bars and restaurants and shops! The staff are also very polite! We arrived late on 10th August, too late to have food at the restaurant as we stayed all inclusive, the receptionist gave us a sandwich, some fruit and a drink each which I thought was very kind although the sandwich was very dry! We stayed all inclusive so food was quite important when staying somewhere for 11 days. I am a fussy eater and I found something to eat every breakfast/lunch and tea! However food is basic and very repetitive! Chips are served at lunch and tea and they were even served at breakfast for a couple of days! There is always a choice of fish and pork seemed to be out every night, not always chicken but when the chicken is out it is very nice, however this doesn't include the chicken nuggets which were pink and gave me an upset stomach when I ate them! Snacks at the pool bar are okay, what you need really, chips, hot dogs, toasties, burgers! (Burgers are ham burgers which is why they a slightly pink, however if you are fussy then I wouldn't recommend eating those) if you are not all inclusive then eating and drinking at the snack bar can be quite expensive as it was €1.50 for a soft drink which was served in a small plastic cup and €1.50 for some chips, which you didn't get a lot however when you are all inclusive you didn't mind! There was only one member of staff on the snack bar and this can get very busy at around dinner time just before the restaurant opens, staff member had to phone down to get help as she was cooking and serving drinks!! The entertainer (only one lady) was very polite and very active, I feel sorry for her having to do activities, both day and night all on her own! There was football, basketball, table tennis and water polo activities to do in the daytime, however entertainment at night was very poor and this is the hotels downfall!! When paying all inclusive prices you expect at least some entertainment at night at it is obvious all inclusive people will stay on the complex most nights! There was a kids disco every night apart from Thursdays (as this is their day off so no entertainment in day or night) the disco included the same 5/6 songs on repeat for about half an hour 45 mins, some nights there would be a quiz or bingo, this was the only entertainment for adults and if you were sat outside which most of the people were then you didn't get told when it was starting! One night we stayed in the hotel to play bingo and we didn't even get told it was starting!! Entertainment was finished at around 9/9.30 and from then until 11pm the same music every night would get played, one night the bar man asked my boyfriend for music off his phone as he didn't have any!!! The bar closes at 11 and not a minute after! The first night we got there we went down for a few drinks, I went to go to the bar at 11:01pm and he said no and shut the doors on me!!! Rooms were at a great size, very spacious and even if you're all inclusive you get a kitchenette which was very usual! Balconies were huge however the cleaners did not know how to clean them! We had the same bird poo on our balcony for 11 days!!! Moping the floors in the only downfall for the cleaners! Floors were filthy and balconies never even got touched! However we always had clean towels and our beds were always made and bins were always emptied! Our view off the balcony wasn't great, we requested a pool view but jet2 didn't put this through (this wasn't the hotels fault) although we did ask to move rooms on our first day and we never heard anything for 11 days so I think we just got forgotten about! Cleanliness around the pool was a bit poor, we got the same sunbeds the following morning and the rubbish that was there from the day before was still there so we had to clean it up ourselves! Not something you expect to be doing when you go away on holiday! Sunbeds the first week we was there you did have to set your alarm for around 7-7:30 to get a sunbed, however it was August and very busy so I was aware this was going to happen, second week was much better, we went down at 9-9:30 and got beds! (Tip: try to avoid sunbeds with 'caybeach' on them as these are old beds and very worn! A few had broke on us! New beds a great though!) pool was fine though! I don't understand when people complain when the pool is 'too cold' when it is 40c you would want a nice refreshing pool to get into, and that's what it was! We only went in the main pool, didn't go in the pool near the children's slides so cannot comment although others we spoke to weren't happy with that pool! Overall, for a 3 star hotel this was okay, no more than a 3 star however it could easily become a 4 star if they looked at the entertainment!! Due to the lack of entertainment we will not be staying here again, maybe for self catering people will have different reviews!

• Stayed August 2014