“We simply loved it.”
Review of Royal Monica

Royal Monica
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our stay at the hotel started with the receptionist inviting us to take lunch, which was just finishing, and to check in later, since we were probably hungry after the flight. And then it just got better.

We had a seaview suite in the main building and loved it - it was clean and spacious, lacking luxury perhaps, but we expected no luxury for the price we'd paid.

The food was great, far beyond what you may expect of a three-star hotel catering for 500 guests. You could have your breakfast British, German, French and American style: fried meat, eggs, toasts, pancakes, cereal, yoghurt, milk, cheese, cold meat, marmelades, nutella, honey, fresh fruit and vegetables, great bread and buns and yoghurt-fruit shakes in abundance. Lunch and dinner always included poultry, beef, pork, pasta, two kinds of soup (I so miss gazpacho!), rice, fish or/and seafood, fresh fruit, vegetables, cheese, salads (German style), bread and buns, wine (definitely not top quality, but white wine was OK). Every few days there was a themed dinner. The desserts could be a bit more varied, perhaps, but you could have ice-cream (always 4 flavors to choose from). And the small things - dates, prunes, dried apricots, sunflower and pumpkin seeds for breakfast, that was just perfect. Some food - eggs, fish, some meat - was being fried in the restaurant to be as fresh as possible. Most importantly, however, no matter when you came, the food was there. Even 15 minutes before the closing hour fresh fish were being fried and bowls of salads were being brought in. And the restaurant staff - quick and nimble, always there, always ready to joke with a child or talk to the adults. (Miguel, if you're reading this, thanks for the tabasco hint for gazpacho!)

We never used the animation - we simply wanted to enjoy our books and our swimming, but the team were young and smiling, always ready for a joke, chatting and even remembering people who never took part in the recreation.

The pool was OK - the heated one, that is, for I never had the courage to get into the other one.

The location was good - nice and quiet. In our room no discos were heard and no music from the bar. The shops were within a short walk, along with plenty of car rentals and pharmacies.

We loved the cats - well-fed and taken good care of, some friendlier than the others, not a single one bothering the guests who didn't want to be bothered.

The poolbar snacks were OK (especially pizza!) but with the great restaurant food we rarely ate them. The cooking-show paella was awesome. Drinks were OK, and nobody objected to taking them to the room, pool, or wherever you wanted to take them.

The downsides? Sure there were some. I'd have appreciated some tea-making facilities in the room, a bit more variety when it came to desserts and tea/coffee in the restaurant with lunch and dinner, and, since I'm at it, better coffee quality. I found the bed too stiff, but that's individual preference. The hotel could perhaps be refreshed a little, Most importantly, the hotel was built with the warm summers in mind, and on colder February nights the bathroom and bedroom were far colder than I'd have liked (nothing that an additional blanket didn't help with, though, but you may want to consider bringing some warm pyjamas if you come in winter).

All in all, despite the few drawbacks, the best value for money we could imagine. Nice room, beautiful views, great food, awesome staff. We regret having stayed just one week and we wholeheartedly recommend Royal Monica.

Room Tip: Seaview suite much recommended. You may lack privacy in regular, ground-floor bedrooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Er_the_witch

Reviewed 26 January 2014

A wonderful clean hotel with energetic and courteous staff.
I had a sea view room and was very happy with it - especially given the price I paid.
The rooms are generous but the lack of basic drinks making utilities in room, and no ice machines was a little annoying. The on site shop is predictably over priced, and with the shops about half an hours walk away that can be irritating for some. However, I'd hired a car and there's a spar 5 minutes drive away that's as cheap as you can want for having a few things in room or to get snacks for when you're out and about.
I've seen a couple of complaints about the food being lukewarm (both reviews in January 2014 when I was there). This is perplexing to me. The only time I encountered lukewarm food was on the occasions when I entered the restaurant very close to the end of the serving time. If you dined an hour or more before the end of the session, the food was plenty hot and they were refreshing it regularly. I imagine in high season they would be refreshing more regularly. There was always a couple of meat choices that were being cooked fresh at the food station anyway.
The variety wasn't bad - you can't expect fantastic variety when you're providing a buffet to an entire hotel of varying nationalities - especially when there seems to be a large German bias toward the guests. However there was a good rotation in meat - beef, chicken, pork, tuna, sword fish, muscles, meatballs and so on, and a variety of pastas, paellas, rice potatoes, meat in various sauces, differently cooked vegetables and so on.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Saitir
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Great hotel but on the outskirts of Playa Blanca. A perfect location if you're wanting a quieter time and about 30/40 minutes walk along the seafront Playa Blanca town. We found a lovely bar about 10 minutes walk from the hotel near Faro Park residential area called 'The Lounge' which has a very relaxed atmosphere & great hosts. There were also 3 good restaurants in this area.The Royal Monica has private sandy alcove's for sunbathing on the beach front (which is a bit rocky) but great for snorkelling or fishing! We stayed all inclusive & have no complaints about the food/drink available. There was always plenty of choice at meal times with meat, fish & vegetarian options always available. The salads were to die for! There are 2 bars, one which is only open from 5pm & is located near the restaurant, the other is the pool bar which is open during the day & night & offers nightly entertainment. When staying all inclusive you do tend to get a bit 'stir crazy' & need to have a break so unless you can/want to walk out at times, this may not be the best choice for you. The hotel has several resident cats but they were never a nuisance & are very well looked after by the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We have just recently come back from this hotel (13/01/14). It wasn't the hotel we booked as our original one had damped but they accommodated us rather well. We were given a room which was quite dark and the balcony faced another balcony when we had been promised a suite overlooking the sea by the original hotel. Once we complained about this we were moved into a suite overlooking the sea which was lovely. We stayed all inclusive, the food was okay for 3 days but I think you would be sick of it after a week - you definitely need to like ham and cheese as there is a wide selection of this. My complaint about the food was it wasn't hot enough for me but that could just be me. There were a lot of stray Cats the complex but they didn't bother us and nerve jumped up when you were eating outside. The hotel has a lovely sunbathing bit looking over the sea which is for hotel guests only which was lovely. There is an entertainment team who try and get everyone involved. The staff are very friendly and wil try and accommodate you.

It is quite a way away from the shops but the seafront walk is lovely in the sun so you can walk to the beach, harbour and shops.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank JennyI2
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We spent 3 night here - the room was on the 2nd block back from the prom and on the top floor so gave good sea views and of Lobos and Fuerteventura in the distance. The room although large was tired with furniture that had seen better days and there is no kettle or fridge in the room to make a drink. The Hotel is All Inclusive but the breakfast and evening meals tended to be cold / lukewarm and unappetising we did not go for lunch so can't comment on that, there are 2 bar areas the pool bar which is slightly away from the hotel complex and the 1 night we went there we were the only customers and a bar in the centre of the complex which was open in the evenings and i should expect in high season would be extremely crowded and busy but whilst we were there in January it was also quiet.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JanNorthWalesUK
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This is a fantastic hotel and the perfect location if you're wanting a more relaxed feel, but only a 30 minute (ish) scenic walk along the promenade to Playa Flamingo (lovely!) beach resort if you want more amenities. About 10 minutes more to the marina and Playa Blanca town for shops etc.
The hotel has it's own rocky but partly sandy beach, including private alcove's (perfect for sunbathing out of the wind!)and a lovely spot for for swimming and snorkeling (lots of fish!) despite the rocks!
All staff were very friendly. The receptionist did a great job in organising a trip for us to Timanfaya, which picks you up from the hotel and brings you back.
A great thing about this hotel is the resident cats everywhere, which were well looked after by the hotel and never a nuisance.
There are 2 bars to chose from, one being the more lively that provides entertainment (including Flamenco dancing and Acrobats). The other bar is more chilled out. Both offer excellent cocktails and really good sangria!
The hotel Animation team organised a range of activities during the day including Zumba, volleyball, a quiz as well as activities for the children. They also organised evening entertainment several nights, nevertheless not to be taken too seriously.
Food was excellent offering a good range of choice with fresh fish and meat cooked in front of you. You can borrow/swap books/magazines from reception and leave your own.

I would recommend this hotel for people looking for a more quieter and laid back holiday.

Will return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Sandra D
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I booked this hotel expecting something nice. My 2 friends had booked hotel next to this (Rubicon Palace) but I had seen the part of the hotel on previous trips to Lanzarote from walking on the promenade and thought it looked fine. I got a room right on the front facing the sea. We were only staying for 2 nights anyway having already spent a few nights in Fuerteventura.

When I arrived at my room the door was not only unlocked but also partly open (thought it maybe was wrong room I had entered). I subsequently found that the lock was faulty and you had to spend several minutes "jiggling" the key - both on entering and locking from the inside...bearing in mind this is ground floor right on the promenade it doesn't make you feel secure for leaving your valuables inside the room.

Anyway cut long story short....it is cheap looking and nasty. 70's style woodchip paper on the walls, tired, scratched and chipped furniture, dilapidated bathroom, old style t.v. (if you want a remote you have to pay a deposit - how insulting is that?), for some reason there is a small dining table and "Greek" style pine and rush seated chairs (why they have that in an All Inclusive I don't know - fine if it's S/C). "Pool Bar" is sort of out of the hotel - a short walk along the prom and you are in a rather depressed area that passes itself off as the "Pool" area. If you want a beach towel - pay a deposit and if you want to change it during during your stay there is a 50 cent charge.

Oh and the "Ridge"...Did I mention the "Ridge"?
What is he on about I hear you ask ?
Well the answer is - there is no "F" in Fridge....!!!
That's right, in this day and age and in a country that has a lovely all year round warm climate -
NO ******* FRIDGE IN THE ROOM...! Ok maybe for a 2 star or if the room rate had been cheap (I was being charged 73 euros a night - single occupancy) - I could have been in the Rubicon (albeit half board) for the same rate (and how much does a bottle of wine or vodka in the supermarket cost).

Anyways I caused a bit of commotion at reception (rather rude German guy with a beard - the receptionist, that is, - not me - I am the rude Scotsman with a moustache) who agreed to cancel my booking and refund my money. My friends came and collected me by car and we drove a very short distance to the Natura Palace on the other side to the Rubicon. It was close on 9.00pm by this time so I booked 1 night B& B and the next H/B for a total of 153 euros (only 7 euros more than the horrible Monica). The sheer scale of difference as to the quality has to be seen to be believed.

Do yourself a favour DON'T BOOK THE MONICA. Go instead to either the H10 Rubicon Palace or the Natura Palace - both are effectively the same location - all 3 hotels in a row.

Room Tip: Stay at another Hotel...or take your own fridge with you LOL.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo