“Poor service old rooms”
Review of Hotel Playafels

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Castelldefels
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Service not perfect, had an event with soe customers there and we were not followed properly. Cold rooms, bit old style. Breakfast room with very good view, good coffee, but with poor furniture and big round table.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Enrica C
Toni L, Propietario at Hotel Playafels, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Customer

Thanks for your time to write your opinion about our Hotel.

Similarly we say we will look to improve the points that we discussed in your opinion.

Regards

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We've just come back from a weekend staying at the Hotel Playafels and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. We stayed in another Grup-Soteras hotel previously (Ciudad de Castelldefels) and were impressed but fancied somewhere right on the seafront and were delighted to be given a massive room with a sea view. We had booked a triple room for ourselves and our daughter but the hotel had upgraded us to a two-bedroomed 'suite' of rooms, which was huge and very comfortable, warm (necessary in January!) and spotless (Room 115). It was my husband's birthday the day we arrived and I had requested a cake, which they provided and offered me numerical candles too to put on it! Nothing was too much trouble and the staff were always courteous and friendly - the right mixture of professional yet personable. We didn't opt for breakfast so I can't comment on that, and the restaurant wasn't open because it was a quiet time of year (I think there were only several rooms occupied) but the restaurant overlooks the massive expanse of beach at Castelldefels so it would be a lovely place for a meal. In case this helps, here are some pointers.

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, which took around 20 minutes and cost 26 euros. It would have been 18 but they have to add an extra airport levy to the cost.

We took the bus into Barcelona, which is cheap and easy, costing around 2-3 euros each and leaving every half an hour on Sundays, more frequently on weekdays and Saturdays. You can choose either the L94 or L95 - both take you to the Placa Catalunya but the L95 takes longer as it has a more circuitous route. The bus stop is just up the road from the hotel - 2 minutes' walk.

In summary, a great hotel in a lovely resort. Good for Barcelona and for a more relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: Room 115 is very good - two bedrooms that can sleep 2 adults and 2 children (or possibly 4 adults...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SazOxford

Dear Customer.

Thank you very much for your comment about our hotel and service given. We appreciate especially your comment to our staff as they are the engine and reflection of the hotel.

Also appreciate your comment about the location in 1st row from the sea.

Regards

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I chose this hotel for a one-week break because we wanted something that was close to Barcelona and also easy access to the beach. Another reviewer had stated that it is only a 20 Euro taxi fare from the airport to the hotel. We did not find this to be so...the taxi fare was more in the region of 28 to 35 Euros, as they charge extra for baggage and then there is the tax. The hotel is a half hour bus ride to Espanya metro and an hour to Catalunya (for Las Ramblas...etc). We just bought a 10 fare bus ticket which cost 9.95 euros and got around that way (normally 2 euros a ticket). We stayed in apartamentos 3002, which was fine, except when the next door neighbours smoked and we were exposed to second hand smoke through the air conditioning ducting. I would agree that the "maids" that cleaned the room were good, however I found our floor needed a good hoover as well. Apart from that, they were good at leaving the right amount of towels and accessories. The only thing that was not so great was the bathroom. The bathroom had a smooth floor painted in black colour. My problem with this is that with a dull black floor, you can't see mould/dirt as easy as a lighter coloured floor. Also there were stains from cleaning chemicals and some black things running along the edge of the shower area floor near the glass which I didn't want to look closely at!! The bathroom was really at odds with the rest of the apartment, however I would agree that these apartments are needing a refurbishment. The great thing about this hotel was the wonderful receptionists, particularly a lady named Sol who was extremely pleasant without being overly friendly and very helpful. I asked her so many questions and she never got impatient once!!
This hotel is close to all the amenities and so was a great location to stay at and of course, the beach is lovely - a boardwalk also runs right alongside the water, which is great for a jog along it. Just don't run on the sandy bit with the vegetation growing as there are sharp barb like plants that stick to your feet!! I would definitely go back to this hotel if they refurbished it. We also went up to Gran Hotel Don Jaime (their other hotel in the hill) to swim in the in-door swimming pool. This was free, however you have to take a taxi to this hotel as there is no bus service there. The pool is definitely in need of a good clean and refurbishment.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KrisMacG
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The Hotel Playafels apartments are in a separate block to the main hotel - a short walk up the road. The entrance to the beach is no more than a few metres walk so a superb location.

It is a small 2 level apartment with a living/dining area with a kitchenette on the ground floor and a bedroom with balcony and good sized en suite on the top floor. The furnishings are modern and the sofa and beds are comfortable. Everything was very clean although there was quite an overpowering smell of soap everywhere.

I would recommend taking an apartment over one of the hotel rooms which I stayed in earlier in the same week and that I found needed some improvements.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I had a one night stay at Playafels so I only saw the main parts of the hotel. The location is excellent and the restaurant overlooks the beach.

My room was ok, it needed better lighting and a bit of renovating. It was clean apart from the floor which needed sweeping - I had to make use of the slippers provided to stop the sand and dirt sticking to my feet.

The bathroom was huge and the bedroom also a good size. I found one plug socket I could use but it was from that I noticed the tv plug was hanging out of the wall. This should have been repaired.

There was air conditioning but I found it too noisy to sleep with it on. The pipes were also noisy when my neighbour had a shower.

The pillows and bed were comfortable. There were sheets on the bed and blankets available in the wardrobe, although I prefer thin duvets to blankets.

I think with a bit of attention the room could be brought up to scratch but for one night and a cheap price it was fine.

Breakfast was standard continental buffet with some cooked options. There was quite a lot of choice and it was good quality.

My taxi driver didn't know the location very well, if you're coming from the airport I would recommend having some printed maps available to show the taxi driver.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Amy810

Dear Customer

We appreciate your favorable comments about our hotel. The truth that we always want to improve and try to make customers feel at home during their leisure periods.

Thank you very much and hope to see you soon at our hotel in Castelldefels.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Situated right on the beachfront, that certainly made it for us. The rooms were basic and simple, but what they lacked in decor they made up in cleanliness. The staff was constantly avare of our needs and were so incredibly helful in every way! Must be the spanish atmosphere:) It is just in the centre of this small town, and a trains ride to Barcelona, so was wery pleased to choose a hotel a bit out of the big town. Thanks for the great experience!

Room Tip: Sea-view !!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank thalassa t
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I have visited this hotel many, many times for both business and pleasure. It is a 20 euro taxi ride from Barcelona airport and sits on a MAGNIFICENT beach. The beach is very busy at weekends and after 6PM but otherwise is almost deserted.
Good restaurants abound in the small town. Ideal location to get away from it all of but be aware there is no theme park on the doorstep for youngsters!
A lick of paint has been given to most rooms to freshen them up.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach side room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business