“Quiet location”

Royal Marina Gardens
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Castelldefels
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Most helpful tip I can provide is catch the L95 bus in Catalonia square Barcelona I took the train then needed to find my way out from Castelldefels as I only had metro & train guides .had I known the bus journey planner it would have saved me time and confusion Sound proofing is very poor I wished to retire early but it was impossible with noise from adjoining apartments in the moring and evening The . staff were helpful when I requested a blanket I was told all were sent away for cleaning but next day one was left in my room , Shops too far for me to walk so not great for someone with mobility problems even with the bus stop outside the apartment it did not assist the walk over the bridge to the shopping centre and back . Beautiful gardens with well maintained pool . There were still maintainence issues in my room rusty bin , hook in bathroom loose and the bed only having two flat sheets with an uncomfortable rough bedspread . I did like the shower but there was no kettle and sparse cooking utensils in the kitchen area . I was lucky to have a small outside area that was a bonus as the gardens were an attractive feature to these apartments . Now I know about the buses I would find this apartment a less troublesome option as the L99 takes you to T1 and a shuttle bus to T2 but the bus drivers unhelpful twice took me past my stop and drove off before passengers could dismount need help ask in the bus most locals willing to assist

Room Tip: Find out about the buses before you go I made huge errors and great inconvenience for myself
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here in early June in a studio apartment (hotel room with kitchen units). Apartment is confined due to no balcony which is a disadvantage for drying clothes. The area is very residential and quiet so if you are looking for nightlife and action this is not the location for you. There are no shops within a 20 minute walk but there is a bus service every 20 minutes outside the apartment to the shopping center. The kitchen utensils are sparse and there is no kettle however the receptionist kindly gave us one when we asked. The apartment is very clean with a good size bathroom. The apartment is cleaned once a week and reception gave us extra towels when we requested them. Very poor pillows on beds and one tiny bar of soap in bathroom. The soundproofing is poor and this may not be a problem if you are a sound sleeper but unfortunately our neighbors rose at 7am every morning which meant we were woken by them moving about, flushing the toilet etc. There is a bus to Barcelona outside the apartment every 20 minutes(journey time can take up to an hour). You can purchase a 10 trip ticket for €9.60 which can be used on the Barcelona metro. There are some nice restaurants along the beachfront but no bars or shops. There is a lovely long beach only a 2 minute walk away and it was very quiet when we were there. Beds are €5 each.
The pool at the apartment is very clean and with lovely gardens surrounding the apartments.
The A/C and Wi/Fi were excellent, only English speaking channel was the BBC world service. Reception staff were very nice and helpful, unfortunately I didn't get the girls name on reception but she was very kind and pleasant (dark haired girl). I would recommend this apartment as a quiet location away from the hustle and bustle of beach life.

Room Tip: Choose an apartment with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aannem
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Apartment is 45 mins on a bus ride (right outside the door of the apartments) to central Barcelona... we stayed in a 2 bed apartment with 2 young children, which was ideal for us all - apartment clean and tidy on arrival.. Kitchen was functional - though could have done with a kettle for a cup of tea! Lovely pool on site... A short walk to a beautiful beach, which has numerous restaurants along the promenade... although not an outstanding property would happily stay here again - was good value and preferable in my view with a young family to staying in the city centre....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 751ChrisC
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Quiet village but bus took us only about 45 minutes to Barcelona centre (Plazza de Catalunya). Lovely beach, not too crowded, shopping centre on a 20 minute walk. Swimming pool was very clean, receptionist very friendly and spoke different languages. Good experience, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank MartijnBarcelona
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had a Grand Suite at Royal Marina Gardens - with two twin bedded rooms [pushed together to make a double], an open plan living area [with a dining, kitchen and lounge areas] and a table and chairs on a small terrace outside.

The apartment was perfect for us [2 adults and 2 young children], it had plenty of bedroom storage, was clean and it had air con which was useful when it was hot. There was a sofabed in the lounge but I reckon it would feel cramped with 6 people in the apartment.

There are two blocks of apartments on site which shared a pool. The pool is a good length, warm and very clean. We were told we could also use the smaller pool of the aparthotel Bardon next door. Most of the time we had the pool to ourselves and this was in August!

The apartments are within walking distance of the nice sandy beach, we went there one late afternoon but generally preferred to cool off in and by the pool.

If I go back to Barcelona I'd definitely stay here again.

Disabled access-wise the place was very accessible with ramps into the buildings, it was level into the apartment, the toilet and shower room were separate and not wheelchair accessible in terms of their size, there was a medium sized step into the shower and another onto the terrace, there were steps into the pool [no hand rail] at one end and a ladder at the other end. There were plenty of dropped kerbs to enable a wheelchair or scooter user to get to the beach which has a boardwalk to get you half way onto the beach itself.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank EmmaBowler
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Lovely place, right next to the beach. The staff was very friendly and service-minded, both in the reception and the people doing the rooms. The beach is great and just a few minutes walk. The apartments were very nice, the pool area a favourite for both the kids and adults after a long day on the beach. Bus to Barcelona just outside the hotel. Very convinient place to stay for pleasure, sun and bath, and lots of oppurtunities for mountain biking in the mountains behind Castelldefels.
Strongly recommended for families gojng to Barcelona area. We will surely come back to the Royal Marina Gardens.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank erikjr
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here since nearly every room in Barcelona was booked for the Mobile World Congress. It turned out to be a nice little hotel with easy access to the heart of Barcelona.

Taxi ride from the airport cost us around 30 euros. 7 were tacked on as an airport surcharge and for the amount of luggage we had with us, about 3 large check-in bags. It's about a 15 to 20 minute ride to the hotel depending on traffic. If you take the bus to the hotel from the airport you need to transfer at least once. Taking the taxi back to the airport early in the morning without any traffic cost around 25 euros.

The hotel was fantastic. We had a suite with two twin beds and a sofa sleeper that could accommodate two more. It's laid out like a tiny little apartment. The kitchen had a toaster and everything needed to cook a meal. One weird thing was that the toilet and shower/sink are in separate rooms. No biggie, but my main deduction for this hotel are the paper thin walls. It was pretty easy to listen to conversations in other rooms. Nothing really prevented me from sleeping well at night but it entirely depends on how loud your neighbors are. Overall the room as well as the entire property was clean and a pleasant place to come back to after a long day of exploring.

One huge plus about this hotel is its proximity to the L95 bus line into the heart of Barcelona. The stops to get on and get off are literally a stones throw from the hotel. Check out my picture to see the proximity. We paid 6 euros for three people to go directly to Plaza Catayluna, the end of the line for the L95. Youll be across the plaza from El Corte Ingles and its easy to find your stop since its across the street from the KFC. It's also the same stop you use when going back to the hotel. From here we simply picked up some two day passes to a hop-on and off tour bus and never even used the subway. it's about a 40 minute ride depending on traffic.

When coming back to the hotel on the bus we were given a card from the hotel and were told to show it to the driver so that he would let us off at the correct stop. Unfortunately, not all drivers are so helpful. Ours, who I've named "skeletor," ignored all the tourists asking for help about their stop. FYI he has long curly hair he keeps in a ponytail and some sort of triangular pattern shaved into the side of his head. Anyways, when you look at your map of stops only the streets/areas are listed, not the individual stops. For example, the hotel is located on Marina, but there are several stops along this street. Im not a bus person, but I think we only stopped if someone was needing to either get on or off. Regardless, just know that the stop for the hotel is Pg. de la Marina carrer 18. There's a little led board at the front of the bus you'll need to watch for the upcoming street. If its broken as it was on one of our trips, the hotel is lit up at night on the edges so it has a TRON effect going on. You should be able to see it and hit the button with a few seconds to spare if you'd like to get off.

Overall, if I was looking for a place to stay outside of Barcelona with easy access to the city, I'd stay at this hotel. It's a short walk to the beach and in a quiet residential area. Our trip was brief it the beachfront looks like a great place to visit in the summer. The staff was great... our requests for extra blankets were promptly met and one even recognized it was my birthday and wished me well. If staying in Barcelona is not an option then give the Apartamentos Royal Marina Gardens a try!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family