“Go elsewhere.”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in La Seu d'Urgell
Jersey
“Go elsewhere.”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I don't like to post unfavourable reviews.
I'd much rather write about the places I like.
I visited this hotel with a bunch of friends, and it was not I that made the booking, nor had I read reviews of it previously.
I arrived at the hotel to find that our 7 room booking had become a 5 room booking.
No problem, 2 extra rooms were easily found. I was given my key and went up to find the room occupied by someone already. They were not in evidence but their stuff was. I went back downstairs and was given another room key.
My room was old and dated and had a strange smell, sort of like the boozy smell that drifts out of an alcoholic's pores. Wanting a shower, I ran the tap on the basin but could get no hot water. I left the tap run to see if it would warm up, but after 5 minutes I gave up. Tried the bath tap, but this was just the same. I went down to speak to the owner and was told in sign language, he spoke no English, that I had to leave the tap run for a bit, for the water to get hot. No...Really ? I'd never have thought of that! How long is an acceptable time I pondered as I went back up the stairs and washed in cold water.
Going back downstairs afterwards, I then had a beer in a scruffy kind of lounge/breakfast room. Going outside I discovered a swimming pool. The dark green algae was about 2mm thick on the sides and the water murky.
It was October so perhaps I was being over fussy. What do you think dear reader ?
I went out for a walk, in a bit of a temper I'll admit.
When I came back, the owner accosted me with a grin and told me the water was fine now, (sign language and "agua calliente"). I went back to the room and out of curiosity tried the basin tap. After about 5 seconds the water became hot. I'm not a plumber but it seems to me that either a water heater previously off was now on, or some valve had been turned. Maybe it was off when I arrived, to save money or something. This seems to be high on the owner's mind as all the stair lights are on a timer, presumably to save money, and you need to be quick to use them, or you need to be quick to find a switch to reactivate them.
Does this make me sound like a whiner ?
The food.
Well. we had a home-made paella, (Rabbit meat only), and a plate of sliced local sausage which appeared to have been standing for some time.
Now, I know dried sausage is ...well...dry, but does it have to be tasteless as well ?
The only reason I have not rated this hotel as terrible, is that some of my friends who were with me claimed they liked it and had nice rooms. It's true it's a budget hotel. €42 or so.
I personally think they are charging twice what its worth...at least.
It is on the edge of La Seu, in a residential part, so there are no local amenities nearby that I saw,
Breakfast was lousy.
Poor choice, careless offhand service, all served, (well you could forage for it over on the Formica tables), in the scruffy lounge/breakfast room I mentioned earlier.
That's my experience of it.
Reading the other reviews on this site, I wonder if I stayed at the same hotel as some of them.
Oh.. I can confirm to "Bristol-England49" that the dog that kept him awake all night is in fine fettle and will doubtless welcome him back if he returns.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Renfield333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is a "value find" that delivers clean, serviceable rooms for less money than you'd expect with much more personal appeal and charm than an F1 or other lame Euro chain. This place is not glamorous and does not include any spa amenities; the pool is unheated (but a nice way to cool off in August). There's no air conditioning, which is not a deal breaker in this higher altitude area -- but it's noteworthy if you come in peak heat of July/August. The owners are charming and friendly (but speak no English). And the location is quiet (but a longish walk to the center of town and the cathedral). Overall, it's not going to blow you away, but it's a pleasant place to stay during a longer trip to the Pyrenees. I would recommend it as a one or two night option, or if you are on a restrictive budget, a very good alternative to the much fancier options in nearby Andorra, a half-hour drive away. (While Andorra is a tax-free haven for merchandise, lodging is more expensive than anything in a similar class of hotel in France or especially Spain.)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paris2Patagonia
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 20 August 2013

According to the owner, this hotel got its start as a customs house. About 150 years ago, the customs agents got to wondering what to do with all the goods they had confiscated, and decided to open a hotel/restaurant. Staff was courteous and helpful, breakfast was very simple (croissants and toast and coffee and juice), room was clean and in fairly good condition. There is no A/C, but opening the windows (and closing the shades when needed) controlled the temperature well despite the August heat. We enjoyed our view over the river and looking at an old fort. It was a quiet evening; we enjoyed our walk into town to find dinner.

Room Tip: Our party had 4 rooms between us, all facing different directions, and all were pleasant. I persona...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MaraisFamily
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I can confirm all previous reports, cleanliness, good food, however during our two day stay there was very just lukewarm hot water . Owner cannot speak English so did not find out why.Avoid rooms facing the river as there is a dog which barks most of the night.

Room Tip: avoid rooms facing the river as there is a dog which barks most of the night.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bristol-England49
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Myself and a group of friends stayed for a night here in April 2012 whilst visiting Andorra. It was very quiet when we stayed but the rooms and hotel in general where spotlessly clean. There weren't many staff on but those that were were all courteous and helpful. They do a nice simple breakfast in the morning to set you off for the day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
#8 of 8 in La Seu d'Urgell
Dolcet, l'hotel
Dolcet, l'hotel
#1 of 2 in Alas

Been to La Glorieta? Share your experiences!