“One time, but never again ...”
Review of Hotel Aromar

Hotel Aromar
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Platja d'Aro
Roeselare, Belgium
“One time, but never again ...”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Booked an appartment (me, wife & two 14 year olds), upon arrival my reservation was nowhere to be found. I could prove my payments through the use of printouts, and we were assigned to an appartment ... luckely there was one free. Booked lateral sea view from the balcony, what I got was street view, on level 1, nothing more. Entered the appartment, it was nothing like the pictures as shown on the hotel's website. Maybe the pictures were taken 20 years ago? Feel free to compare my pics enclosed to the ones shown on their website, go to Google and search for hotel Aromar, Platja d'Aro. "Delfin Appartments" There were clean sheets and towels, and that's all the positive I can say. Spider in the corner stayed there for 6 days, dust clod above my head (ceiling) in the bedroom stayed there for 6 days, microwave was dirty, oven was dirty, freezer was not clean/defrosted, walls were dirty, windows were dirty, etc. But staff cleaned the room every day!? What did they clean??? The website mentiones fresh towels & sheets every 3rd day ... we received clean towels every day, except for the 5th day ... no towels at all anymore! AC unit did a good job, nice &cool however no climate control ... whether you set the AC to 20°C or to 30°C, made no difference ... meaning that temp during the day was OK, during the night it was freezing. Our room was next to the hotel kitchen! Noisy : plates, cups, etc banging all morning during breakfast hours. Next, the food : why they got their 4th star for the food, God knows. Nothing special, every day similar to identical buffet. Sometimes the hot food was cold, and the cold food was hot. Drinks needed to be paid separately at time of check-out. Dinner : all tables were assigned, which was great. Breakfast : no management what so ever, sit down where there is room ... as a result, noisy & all tables (cloth) were dirty, not inviting to have breakfast. Terrace : drinks were very reasonably priced compared to the home country however ... when there was live music the minimum consumption was 3.50€ each. Meaning that a glass of water 10 minutes prior to the live music was sold against 1.80€ , during the "show" the price suddenly increased to 3.50€ ! Even for the attendants, having a room or appartment at the hotel. When you took a seat on the terrace next to the hotel, you could still see and hear the singing (she was trying her best), and the cost of a normal drink remained unchanged. The secured parking against 10€ per 24 hours ... pls check the pictures! They should have paid me 10€ a day to park my car there ... and to make matters worse, the parking lot was closed between midnight and 5AM ... no security, no access to our car. And for that we needed to pay! as the title reveals : once, but never again. The only good thing worth mentioning is their location ... 5 meters to cross a boulevard and you are on the beach. To make a long story short ... I could tell you more, but I believe it's clear that this hotel has had its glory days. Maybe nobody bothers anymore because of economical recession, that hit Spain bad? I could understand, but why take more money in a hidden sneeky way, and not use it to revive the hotel?

Room Tip: Simply book a room @ another hotel ...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel late on Thursday evening and from the moment we arrived the service was excellent.
I will admit I have stayed here before but it is always a pleasure.
Location is great ....however the beach is a bit far away - 20 meters
I will use the hotel again and have recommended it to many friends.

Room Tip: Fly into Girona airport transfer is only 30 mins
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 August 2010

First of all, we arrived here and the reception was reasonably friendly and helpful, once told were our rooms were we waited at the lift for at least 5 minutes before nothing happened and we had to carry our suitcases up the stairs (we did not use the lift once because it wasn't worth the wait). We got to our room to find that we had to pay extra money for the key to the fridge that we needed to keep medication cold.. What kind of hotel charges to use the fridge ? ? ? The location is the only really good thing about this hotel, we literally walked out the door and were on the beach. Although being on the 1st floor and looking on to the roof of the restaurant wasn't a pretty sight as it was covered in rubbish. The air-conditioning didn't work in our room as the air-conditioning doesn't work when the door to the balcony is open (our door was broken and didn't close) they told us at reception someone would fix it while we were out which didn't happen until about the 3rd time we asked. We had been in Spain for 6 days and we had stayed in two other hotels during this time which were the exact same price and to compare them is just unreal... who cares about location location location its wasn't worth it in this case. . After all of this we arrived back to our hotel at about 8p.m and decide to go down to the restaurant/bar for a drink as they had a band playing which was good... until they didn't stop playing until 1.00a.m. . when you are on the 1st floor.... and your door doesn't close properly it was so loud there was no chance in sleeping until it was finished.... this happened everynight we stayed there.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL ...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MELZ_10

Travellers are raving about these Platja d'Aro hotels

Oporto
Reviewed 21 October 2008

To start with the receptionist made a complete mess of telling me where to park (I had reserved a place). Twice sent me to occupied spots and another that was impossible to enter.
Room would have been about OK as a single but it was a double. More like a cupboard. Chrome bath fittings cruddy, tiles loose and generally tatty.
And only one lift - this in a hotel with eight floors i.e. P, 0 and 1 to 6.
If you want TV they want 30 euro deposit for the remote control. This sums up their approach to customers - life would be a lot easier if there were none I suspect.
Seems OK for pensioners with low expectations. I certainly did not want to eat there.
Needs investment and decent management.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — See my review. Oh and the glass in the room never got cleaned until I complained.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Notts,U.K.
Reviewed 18 September 2007

Hotel Aromar is well situated towards the southern end of the pleasant long beach at Platja d"aro. We stayed for 2 weeks and really enjoyed it. We paid extra for a front facing "club room" on the 6th (top) floor. It had remote control air conditioning , a jacuzzi bath and a great sea view - so close to the sea that the noise of the waves might bother some people but not my wife and I! We stayed on half board (breakfast and dinner) and would rate the food as average. Plenty of choice and buffet ,so you could eat as much as you liked. Bar area was a bit dull and could have done with brightening up. Main downside of the hotel is that it had only 1 lift which meant long waits at busy times. Hired a car for the 2nd week and managed to park in the surrounding streets, but would be a problem at peak holiday times as the hotel has very little parking and charges about 10 euros a night to do so.

Stayed September 2007