“Everything you want for not much money”

H.TOP Caleta Palace
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Platja d'Aro
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed at the Caleta Palace for a week on 28 Sept - 6 Oct, 2 adults and 2 kids and had a great time, and would def go back. Like most others i was concerned by some of the bad reviews but please don't let them put you off this great hotel.

The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach albeit with coarse sand, but the views are amazing. A tip is to go to the far left of the beach where you will find steps leading you along a cliff walk to some amazing coves that you can swim in.

The rooms are basic granted, but have everything you need and cleaned every day and fresh towels are left if required.

The restaurant is a buffet style and there was always something for all of us to eat at each sitting. There was always a chef at the grill section cooking fresh fish or steaks. Waiting staff were always friendly. The restaurant could get busy so be prepared to queue if you don't get there early for a table to become available.

The bar staff were always friendly and worked hard all day long. Sometimes you had to queue for your drinks but not usually that long. Ask what the cocktail of the day is as its included if A/I.

Pool area was great with lots of sun loungers, which fortunately we didnt have to get up at dawn to "reserve" one, although not sure if this is the case is high season.

Evening entertainment was mainly catering for elderly Spanish and French who seemed to be brought in by the coach load, so not much to do if you have young children.

Platja D'Aro is just down the road with many upmarket shops, and lots of places to shop, grab a coffee or ice cream.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a sea view as quieter and views of the sea are amazing.-
1  Thank BarryBoy71

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We returned a week and a half ago from our second holiday at the Caleta Palace Hotel and I am pleased to say that we enjoyed this holiday just as much as the one we had last year. This time we did have a little problem with the air conditioning in the first room we were given, in that the air conditioning unit was located right above my bed and it dripped water onto the bed, but somebody was sent to fix it without delay. The fix didn't work unfortunately, neither did the following three fixes, but in the meantime the room was quite spacious enough for me to move my bed over, and although the hotel was very full we were moved into another lovely room, overlooking the pool and the sea, just as soon as one became available. As before, we are always very happy with the attitude and helpfulness of the staff at this hotel. We found every single member of staff to be friendly and polite, right from the housekeeping staff up to the hotel manager. An example of their helpful is attitude is that on our last evening there was a beel dish at dinner which I enjoyed, but which had was I considered to be quite an unusual flavouring and I wanted to know what it was. I asked the restaurant manager, but his English wasn't quite good enough for him to understand completely my rather involved question (remember this hotel tends to cater more for guests from the other European and Eastern European nations than for the English) so he went to get one of the bar staff who understood more English than he did (she was Eastern European and spoke about 6 languages I think). She explained to him what my question was, and he took me back into the restaurant and went to get the head chef to talk to me. We had a very interesting conversation and I think I now understand what the beef was flavoured with, but I will check out a few recipes online before I attempt to cook it myself. It was just a little sad that the restaurant manager said to me that it was unusual for somebody to say to him that they liked the food, they are more used to people complaining about it. In actual fact, when you consider that huge quantities of food are cooked, on what I think is probably quite a tight budget, and the restaurant serves the meals for several hours, the food is amazingly good and there is actually a very wide choice of things to eat. As with any similar restaurant system, it is easiest to find a table if you get there early, otherwise you may have to wait until one is vacated and cleared, but the staff rush around like mad things trying to ensure that the tables are cleared so that they are ready so they are doing their very best to ensure that you don't have to wait too long. I see one of the previous reviewers said there were no fresh croissants or bread at breakfast. There are certainly no fresh croissants, but there are fresh bread rolls and sliced bread to toast, as well as a selection of sweet buns and biscuits (for the more continental guest), cold meats, tomatoes, fresh fruit, cereals, usually a couple of different kinds of eggs, something in the sausage line, the local version of bacon, baked beans and much much more! Plus - on some days, there were even bottles of cava in the chillers with the (UHT) milk. You should try the local version of black pudding, it is very garlicky and spiced with something like cumin I think, very different from the British stuff but very tasty. There is a grill where the chef cooks things in front of you, and this was operating at all three meals while we were there. At breakfast he might be cooking fried eggs, omelettes or tortilla, at lunch is coould be fish or pork chops, and the same in the evening. I can definitely recommend the pork brochettes, they were so yummy I wish I had asked what they were marinaded in.
As with all this type of holiday hotel, 4 star doesn't mean the same as 4 star in a hotel in England, it is different. The beds won't be as comfortable (I ususally find them excrutiatingly hard), there won't be carpet on the floor, quite frankly the rooms could usually do with a bit of fresh paint, but think of the bonuses. This hotel is quite literally right on the beach, the sea views are fantastic, the weather in September is lovely and warm and the sea is a very nice temperature. The rooms are a decent size, as are the bathrooms, at least in all of the 3 rooms I have been in. Most of the staff speak two or three languages, and some of the staff speak even more, all the staff are friendly and polite, food and drink are unlimited and for cost effectiveness it just can't be beaten. Children are welcome and the staff like to make a fuss of them (our children have flown the nest but we could see that they like children there). Because this hotel is just a little more difficult to reach than some of the other hotels in the group further south, it wasn't overrun by all inclusive long-weekenders, just there to see how much booze they could drink for the cost of their holiday and to stock up on fags. We had a lovely relaxing break and we are looking forward to going back again if we can.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VisitorExeter
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed 10nights 24thSept-4thOct 2012 2Adults and 2Kids for £770 All Inc with Flights, The Area is fantastic (Not for people who want Benidorm or Manchester in the sun) The Hotel is on a beautiful beach with coves dotted all around, The Hotel is clean friendly and staff are helpful, Be prepared to try a little Spanish as English isn't widely spoken! I have always said I'd never return to the same place twice but that was before I had kids, This is 2 hours flight to Girona and half hour transfer... What more can I say? great time met great people and the whole family returned happy! If you want to do lots outside the Hotel book before Sept16th though as most attractions are closed after! Gavin, Tracey and 2 tiered kids

Reviewed 4 October 2012

the hotel is in a good location, close to town and right on a lovely beach. but the hotel it self was really disappointing. The room needed decorating, the bathroom wasn't clean enough and the fan didn't work. But a real problem was the noise at night. the room was ground level and above the laundry, so all night there were pumps coming on. They wouldn't let us change rooms. The pool area looked not tidy and clean, the sun chairs too dirty to sit on..breakfast had a lot of food but all bad quality.. no fresh croissants or bread, orange juice just tasted of water etc. And the terrace outside would be a nice spot for breakfast but you have to eat inside, in a hectic atmosphere. Unfriendly service stuff told us quit directly that its forbidden .About 9.30 they start to take things away from the buffet already, and 5 past ten you cant get anymore coffee.. so if you want to have breaky, you will have to be there at 9..all in all i can't believe we stayed in a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Myself, my family and friends (5 of us in total) have just returned, 4th October, from the Caleta Palace, I have got to be honest i was really worried bout this place as the reviews over the past couple of months have been awful. I booked a 4nt break all inclusive with flights, cost just under £700 with private transfer for all of us. We arrived sunday morning after a really good flight with Ryanair, transfer great (Shuttledirect), Hotel lobby and reception area was lovely, we booked 2 standard rooms, when we booked in they asked how would you like to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment with sea view, they told us to take a look first of all, view was amazing, ok as previous reviewers have said......yes rooms did need updating and desperate for a lick of paint, but these rooms are very clean, huge and massive bathroom, 2 sinks, 2 showers and a hairdryer. We asked for more towels in room, that was sorted straightaway as was everything else we asked for. Reception staff were amazing so were the girls behind the bar and restaurant staff, as for the food, it was always hot, the breakfasts were amazing and always a huge choice. The all inc card system worked ok at the bar, myself, my hubby and son had a card each, we could go to bar with all 3 cards and have 9 drinks, 3 drinks per card as there were 3 of us, our friends had 2 cards so could order 4 drinks as there were only 2 of them, apparantly each person is allowed upto 30 drinks per day, each day they have a different cocktail and that is the only choice of cocktail, so dont forget to ask them what that days cocktail is, our first day it was the Coco Loco, omg i was drunk, beware they are strong.

The town itself is on your doorstep and mostly upmarket shops but we still found bargains in them so dont be afraid of going in, It is great to sit outside a bar to have a break from the shopping or a walk and people watch, the locals walking round with their little posh dogs, expensive cars parking up everywhere, a policeman in a car called my hubby over and told him to put his top on as it is forbidden to walk around without one. Anyway hope you find my review helpful guys, we would love to go back and prob will, have a great time and as people say, you get what you pay for, i think we had our monies worth and alot more.

By the way pool is lovely but if your a man its not advised lol and the beach is very painful to walk on but really exfoliates and leaves the bottom of your feet as soft as a babies bum, enjoy

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Chick007
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed here with my wife and young son at end of September and loved every minute of it.

Check in was smooth and when we asked if our room had a sea view she changed us free of charge to one that had! The room needed some updating but it was clean, spacious and the view was amazing. The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels and the bed linen was changed once during our ten night stay.

The all inclusive food was varied enough in our opinion and was always hot and tasty, bottles of wine & water at both lunch and dinner times. The staff in the dining room were great with our son and always helpful and smiling. At the bar i never had to wait more than a few minutes to get served, staff again very pleasant and the hard plastic glasses not a problem either.

The beach is beautiful and the pebbles not a problem, beds are 5 euros a day to hire on it. Didnt lie by the pool as our son would keep wanting to jump in lol.

Car parking when we arrived was 9 euros a night and had gone down to 4 euros when we were leaving, we parked in a side street across from the hotel and didnt have any problems there. The town itself is lovely and my wife got a few bargains as well, we found the locals and other tourists very friendly towards our son. Various shops including your usual souvenir type ones to top end designer ones, lots of nice bars and restruants.

Hotel is excellent value for money and we would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Has to be a sea view room, the view is amazing..
1  Thank larneboy
Reviewed 2 October 2012

just spent a week at the hotel with my wife and 2year old daughter , cracking place great location good food and staff friendly and the waiters loved entertaining my little one at meal times , im sure these people that write bad things about this hotel must work for a rival hotel chain or are just people that want 5 star for 3 star money ,we will be going back there for sure
spider cazza and jasmine