“Hit & Miss - Poor Wheelchair/Accessibility Service”
Review of FrontAir Congress

FrontAir Congress
London, United Kingdom
“Hit & Miss - Poor Wheelchair/Accessibility Service”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Sorry for the long review - there's so much to say about this place!!!

The reason I've given this a 2 rating is because on arrival (28/7/14) we double checked that we had a wheelchair accessible room and were assured that we did. We had also called the hotel in February before booking to check that they could accommodate our needs and were told that they could.

We got up to our rooms (quite a trek for someone with knee problems having to push a wheelchair and carry luggage!) to find that the shower and toilet were not accessible so my 15 year old daughter who is the wheelchair user could not go to the toilet without crawling on the floor as her wheelchair could not pass a wall and she could not use the shower at all because she cannot stand and I can't lift here. We immediately went down to request a room change and were told nothing could be done before morning.

At 9am my mum went down with my other daughter and reminded them that the room needed changing and were told it would be done at 11am and were to come back for the keys. When they went down at 11 no-one knew anything about it so it hadn't been organised. Eventually it was sorted out but it was a lot of hassle changing rooms despite not having totally unpacked we did still have to repack some things. Also, on the negatives, we booked the hotel transport to take us to the airport for our return flight (5/8/14) and were told it would be at 7.45pm. It's a good thing we were ready and had checked out AND that my mum thought to check when she saw a minibus pull up at 7.20pm as this was the bus we needed and we would have missed our flight had she not noticed and enquired about it. Staff were pleasant at all times but not always knowledgeable and considering it was an airport hotel, the standard of English was quite poor.

The gym facilities were absolutely atrocious, they shouldn't even advertise there is a gym! At first glance it looked good but most of the equipment was not working properly. The rower had a piece of the foot plate missing so we had to strap my daughter's foot to it with string (my daughter cannot walk so it's important for her to get exercise. The recumbent bike had a strap missing so she could not use it. The only things she could really do in there without any major problems was the seated rower and the boxing bag although no gloves were provided. The treadmills needed replacing as only one of the two worked and it didn't work well in terms of being able to program it and it had buttons that were worn away. I did manage to use it on manual though and the fans on them are a great feature but could be stronger. Since I'm not used to treadmills with fans it wasn't a problem! Judging by the emptiness of the gym I guess not many people use it...

We could not get English channels so the TV in our room was not used. The TV in my mum's room had settings we could adjust to hear audio in English which was a bit unfair as she's an early to bed early to rise person and we're late to bed late to rise people!! The food was not great so we ate out every day. Usually in one of the two Chinese buffets which are far superior to UK Chinese buffets with fresh crab, clams, salmon and other seafood and vegetables cooked to order.

Wi-fi was quite slow and often cut out but it was free and as I'd put a hold on all of my work I only needed to use Whatapp so it allowed me to do what I needed to, although I could not connect at all the first day. To get wi-fi in the reception area you need to ask them for a code, this wi-fi works much better.

The roll in shower in the room we were eventually transferred to was hard to use without wetting up the whole bathroom floor and the layout had not been thought through properly as there was nowhere to hang towels except for the rails by the toilet. There wasn't even anywhere to hang shower scrunchies/flannels etc. and I absolutely hate bathrooms with clear doors, my kids do not want to see me or my mother on the toilet!!!

Cups of coffee are tiny for 2 euros 15 cents and I had to get 2 each day but then, cups of coffee in Spain seem to be very small everywhere and there was no coffee shop in sight - oh I missed my Caffe Nero ;o)

On the positives, it was a nice, aesthetically pleasing and fairly clean hotel (the cleaners left dirty cups and saucers in our rooms totally ignoring them, did not clean the mirrors and under the beds was very dusty!). The safe was a nice good size and the only problem we had with it was that the batteries needed changing once. Bathroom supplies were replaced regularly and razors were replaced every day, needlessly mind you!!

The lifts were working at all times and had good information on a screen regarding facilities.

I booked spa treatments for myself and my 2 daughters in the Wellness Centre, although English was extremely poor here and my daughter and I ended up with each other's facials. Despite this, I had a great body exfoliation and a nice facial as well as a hydro bath massage - basically a whirlpool and there were really good facilities there with access for 12 euros per day.

What I did like was that you could get a hotel bus into town for 2 euros each although that went up to 3 before the end of our trip but still, it was good value for a drop off and pick up.

To be honest, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again and would choose one nearer the town as there's not much to do in the evenings. Shopping was good and we got some great bargains in the adjoining shopping centre but there was no fridge, kettle or other drink making facilities in the room which was a great disappointment as I really want a coffee when I wake up and the whole debacle on our arrival really put a downer on the beginning of our holiday. Not that this is unusual, but it would be nice to go away to somewhere that says they can accommodate our needs and actually find that they can! If there hadn't been a mix up with the rooms I'd have given them a 3.

Room Tip: |If you have walking difficulties be sure to ask for a room fairly near the lift as some of the room...
2 Thank Nicolette G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 1 August 2014

3rd time staying in this hotel: bad-worse-worst!!!
Asked for NON-smoking room: got a smoking room which smelt awful!!!
Breakfast was included in my prepaid voucher: at check-in they they said it was NOT because it was a cheap price I paid!!! (Got my breakfast!)
Bathroom was dirty and a spider on my towel!!!
Had to wait 55min for the pick-up shuttle at the airport!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Lies377

Travellers are raving about these Sant Boi de Llobregat hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here overnight with two kids, in preparation for our early morning flight out of Barcelona. My experience here was good but there were some odd bits that made me think I'd rather not stay here for longer periods of time.

For the pros, our room was clean and everything was new.
- Room safe worked perfectly, so I felt good about leaving my valuables stored there.
- Our beds (total of 3) were good, although not as soft as I'd have liked.
- Check-in (and check-out) went fast with no lines, and in my reservation it said checking time 1pm. From other reviews I get the impression it depends on where you book your room from.
- Wi-fi was pretty standard for a crowded hotel, painfully slow for actual work but OK for IM and lightweight surfing.
- AC was adjustable and worked just fine, which is a must in July

As to the cons,
- The hotel was difficult to reach by public transport so once you get there you might not think of leaving anywhere else. Did not test out the city shuttle provided by the hotel.
- Our room had a view of the opposite wall.
- At 11pm during our stay, the fire alarm went off so I had to scramble to get my kids awake and out of the room; luckily it was false alarm.
- During check-in the hotel charged local tax for two adults (they should have charged for only one), but I didn't bother to start complaining as it was approximately 1 euro loss there.
- Our shuttle in the morning was 20 minutes late to leave, which was another negative.

So with all these mishaps occurring during a short overnight stay, I can image how many incidents one could come across while staying there for several nights.

Overall though, I would recommend* it (with an asterisk) as a last-night stay in or near Barcelona. There's a huge Alcampo hypermarket next door, plenty of other smaller stores, a Decathlon (sporting goods), Toys'r'us etc. There's also at least 3 fast food restaurants nearby. So you can get your gifts and souvenirs the previous evening, get your sleep and then catch the free shuttle to the airport the next morning. Don't forget to book your place in the shuttle the previous night.

1 Thank Sydwest
Pune, India
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I had the bad fortune of staying at this terrible hotel 10 days ago.

The moment I presented myself at the reception, Maria, who is a complete apology of a receptionist, started shouting at me. Even though check in is at 2 pm and I arrived at 3 pm, she screams at me 'but you're supposed to be here only after 5 pm!!!' Then she arrogantly takes my passport from me and takes a full 30 minutes to give me my room key.

The room is not bad, but for a hotel claiming to be 3 star I expect at least a basic minibar. The room size is okay.

However, practically nothing at this pathetic hotel works. 2 days in a row the towels in my room weren't replaced in spite of leaving them on the shower floor. (There is an environment card in the bathroom that says 'leave towels in the shower and they will be replaced')

The free wifi in my room doesn't work! The brilliant response from Maria - 'Apple iPhones are designed poorly. The wifi works fine on other phones'
Seriously?

On the 3rd day, my business associate had no power in his room(#362). When we went to the reception we had to unfortunately deal with Maria again. After making us wait 45 minutes, she asks 'do you still need a replacement room?'
Of course we do! There's no power in the room.

At this time I saw her scream and be very arrogant to other guests as well. There was a sports team checking in (KTS, I think). She shouted at them too.

This woman is a complete disgrace to hospitality. In India, she wouldn't even be employed as a fuel pump attendant.
I still do not know why she repeatedly shouts at guests.

The breakfast was average. Surprisingly they do not serve Cortado, which is a very typical and very simple coffee.

Two of out of three days I didn't get the wake up call I asked for.

Do NOT stay here even if the room is free.

I'm a travel professional and I routinely travel across the globe. I've seen outstanding hotels and really bad hotels. This has got to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

If TripAdvisor let me, I'd give them minus 1 out of 5.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SaketPandit
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2014.

To my surprise this hotel stands in a retail car park. Very unusual for a hotel to be located.

First of all they gave us a twin room, when clearly my wife had booked a double room.

The hotel is a large block, so our room was on the second floor, and a very, very far walk away, as the hotel is compromised of an entire block. So we carried our luggage all the way to our room and realised that they had given us a twin room.

We tried to call reception to notify them of their mistake, but no one answered the phone, and this was after numerous tries. We then carried our luggage all the way back to reception and were told that we couldn't change our room. So then we carried our luggage all the way back to our twin room.

The rooms were OK. No mini-bar, which was rather frustrating as it was very warm and you had to walk out of your room and go to one of the vending machines in the corridor to get a drink.

The best thing about the hotel was that they run a shuttle to and from the hotel.

The hotel is very far from Barcelona and the main City Centre, you you have to use buses or taxis to get around.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jpuar14
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in Barcelona post cruise for a couple of days. Unfortunately, due to thunderstorms, our flight was delayed 24 hours. Our travel insurance opted to put us in this hotel for the night.
It was very disappointing right from the start. Check in was a fiasco, there were only people checking in and the line was literally out the door. However, we were even more taken aback with the room. To be fair, it appeared clean, however the bathroom door is partially frosted glass...can you say see through door? Also, the bar of soap was the size of a mini Hershey bar, (1" x3/4"). Try taking a shower with that.
Our view from the room was industrial high power electrical towers, the area is very industrial.
We ate in the restaurant (had the buffet) and all I can say was the salad bar was good.
Since our room was pre-paid by the our travel insurance check out should have been easy...not so. Finally had to talk to the hotel manager to make sure charges would not be placed on our Visa.
This hotel is OK if you are stuck with no where else to go, other than that do yourself a favor and find another option.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, make arrangement to stay elsewhere!
Waimea, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of it's proximity to the airport and the pool for our daughter as this was just a quick flight connection. Pin checkin we were informed that children under 12 are not allowed in the pool!! Shocking! This should be clearly stated in the hotel description. Really really really bad!

• Stayed July 2014
#2 of 4 in El Prat de Llobregat
NH Sant Boi
NH Sant Boi
#1 of 3 in Sant Boi de Llobregat

Been to FrontAir Congress? Share your experiences!