“Was OK but left with a bitter taste.”
Review of Hotel Meridional

Hotel Meridional
Zurich, Switzerland
“Was OK but left with a bitter taste.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hello Fellow travelers,

As I am quite new to this community I like to give you some of my experiences from my latest trip to Spain.

I know the region quite well as I have family with summer houses in this city, but as we were all going to be in Guardamar at the same time we decided to spend the two weeks at the Meridional Hotel as its very well positioned with front view to the Sea and no other Option is possible.

I will split this down in the different areas so you can build up your own idea about this Hotel. And also for the Hotel to possibly take this as a constructive critic to their services.

Reception:

Helpful and friendly. Unfortunately they have clear instruction from their management to only change Beach towels every 2 to 3 days. This is the first time I see such restrictions in any hotel which I think it’s a bit un-hygienic. Towels should be changed every day as you lay on those sweaty and wet for hours.

Rom:

Clearly the rooms are not big so we decided to have a Junior Suite with sea view. We got the second floor room which was ok size for a family of Four people. Unfortunately we spend our first day complaining about the cleaning as the room was not done properly and that’s sort of started of our vacations on the wrong foot.

Complains where:

• Rom was full of hair on the floor and bath
• The ventilation in the bathroom was full of Ducts which clearly haven’t been cleaned, the same case in the room ventilation (if not cleaned regularly this causes allergies).
• Beach Sand was all over the room.
• Hair dryer has sticky with old fat and disgustingly full of hair. As they could not manage to clean this they immediately change this leaving big holes on the wall
• Toilet lamp was broken and the switch was old so it has to be switched (look like a switch from a public toilet which never been changed)
• The Bathroom walls where all dirty.
• The hand wash sink broke several times during this two weeks.

After spending over 3000 Euro for two weeks I should be able to expect more from a Hotel which claims to be a 3 star Hotel. The Reception acted immediately on the above complains which sort of calm us down a bit as we were about to move out. We came back afterwards and most of the points where actioned. One very strange point was that there was not Mini Bar in the room? If you have family you normally need cold drinks for the kids during the night so we fixed this issue by buying a Pick-nick cold box to keep drinks.

Suggestions could be to keep a vending cold drink machine on each floor at least….right?

Breakfast:

The morning buffet contained different choices and you could enjoy this In & outside. I could have which a bit of Varity as this became very much of the same after spending two weeks, but I have to say it was OK.

The things which I don’t think is correct was that Butter, ham & Cheese where not on a cold plates to keeps this fresh. I see this in many pensions and Hotels specially when its warm you need to keep things cold which was not the case. We did the observation but to be honest this should be the people running the restaurant thinking of this obvious things?

Restaurant:

I have to say that eating Lunch and eating in the evening was a great experience. I tested this restaurant back in May when I visited my parents and was very impressed with their fine cousin. The menu has a bit for everyone’s taste and whatever you get its done with lots of know-how and love.

The service was good and the personnel was very friendly.

Sky-Bar

Really cool idea to have a chill-out Bar looking out over the Sea. I was worried this bar was going to make a lot of noise but this is not the case. In fact the whole are is done with a lot taste and the drinks served are fantastic.

Reception Toilets:

Toilets are something I normally look at as an indicator for how clean or well maintained a place is. Everything looks very nice and clean but WHY on Earth do you not change the door handle as it looks like the original which got installed for 40 years ago???….small thing but just give a very cheap impression for a newly renovated toilet.

Overall:

The critics is mainly on how clean things are and also small details like reparations in the rooms which looks like it has been done in a rush some years ago but as no one complained this never got properly fixed. This unfortunately leaves a bitter taste after spending more than 3400 Euro in your facilities. I suggest that the management team of this hotel once in a while takes a look on the rooms if they have been cleaned or if reparations have been completed and services restored to the original state in special on your flag rooms like a Junior Suite.

Guardamar has one of the best Beaches I been to and this town deserve a good Hotel where you can organize company conference and sport events. I feel like with minimal management and maintenance you can have nice little hotel where you can enjoy and fully relax during vacations.

I did not wanted to make a huge deal about this during our stay as I wanted to enjoy my vacations but unfortunately we do feel disillusioned as we do expect much more from a 3 Star Hotel or from any category Hotel.

When we are going for our yearly summer block leave we do like to be served and not think about anything else than enjoying our vacations. For us renting a house in Gurdamar was not an option as we did not wanted to deal with cleaning or cocking.

All the best for the future

Igor

Room Tip: If you want full front facing room to the Sea for a familly ( 4 persons) you need to choose the Juni...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elmaco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rojales, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2014

A lovely hotel, excellent location just a minutes walk to the beach, charming staff, we could not fault anything, close to bars and other restaurants. But the hotels restaurant is outstanding with excellent choice to suit everyone. We will return in October.

Room Tip: Request a sea view, just perfect
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brian Q
Margarita R, Director General at Hotel Meridional, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Brian
Thank you for your opinion about Hotel and its restaurant "El Jardin". Our restaurant is recommended in the most important gastronomics guides.
We will continue working to make your next stay in October will be better.
Best regard from Guardamar!
Troon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Was looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of Nights and came across this gem of a place, staff are extremely friendly, couldn't fault the cleanliness of the Hotel, room had balcony with great views over the beech and pool. Restaurant was first class, would even go there just for a meal. Close to the town if you fancy a wee walk round the shops. Will definitely be going back

Room Tip: If you can, try and book a room on the corner with a balcony, great to sit out in, day or night
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank B20rky
Dear cliente
We are very pleased that your comment and your stay at our hotel was nice.
The hotel has a fantastic location and as you say it is near the village giving a nice walk.
Hope to see you again soon!
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

A very clean hotel and great views ,would stay again but as a 3star it should have a fridge in the room. My friend stayed in a 2star hotel the same time and they had a fridge the only thing that let you down Meridional.very friendly staff on reception

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Barbara D
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just walk across the road to a lovely long sandy beach
very pleasant local town 15 minutes walk away
has nice promenade and good tapas bars
Fishing port with good food Restaurant
double room on the first floor with a large balcony,
luxury bathroom with bath and shower, air con
the parking was great and just over from the hotel
aalso has out door swimming pool area
back next year and every year
Corinne & Tony Barker
6th to 12th May 2013

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a Gastronomique Evening Meal in the El Jardin Restaurant
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spanish-antonio
Somerset
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for three nights as I was a guest at a wedding being held there. I was on my own but had a double room on the first floor with a large balcony, luxury bathroom with bath and shower, air con (that worked!) and a tv (that also worked). Breakfast started at 8am - my only real gripe as I would've liked to have a drink earlier - the breakfast was excellent, every possible item was covered and totally fresh. The service was friendly at all times and I can honestly say that I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Mistytor
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Went here on the off chance having see it on tripadvisor. Certainly will not go back. Told we could have a 'suite'! The view from the balcony was good and the parking was great and just over from the hotel in a private car park. Apart from these 2 good points......very disappointing. The room appeared to be dirty if only because the furniture was badly marked, dirty stains on seats, covers on bed ripped and worn, Walls marked and very badly decorated (must have been decorated over a log period of time, badly marked and worn). Bathroom was not closed from bedroom and cold really do with a revamp. Shower head was a hand held attachment, not easy to use, hold shower head AND try to shower at same time! Asked for lemonade at bar.....no soft drinks available! Breakfast choice was very poor even tho we were down in plenty of time......decided to stick to coffee! All in all must be one of the worst places we have stayed in Spain for the same price as 5 star hotels!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Quino
Hotel Quino
#5 of 9 in Guardamar del Segura
Hotel La Laguna Spa & Golf

Been to Hotel Meridional? Share your experiences!