“Ideal location”

Hotel Cafe Restaurant de Posthoorn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dokkum
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The hotel sits on the side of the Dokkumer Ee, a barge canal that runs through and round this historic and pretty Friesland town. The rooms we had were in a modern building about 30 metres along the street. They were large and comfortable. Our arrival welcome was good (we were expected!) and we were able to store our bikes in a secure garage. We didn't eat in the hotel in the end - but the food looked very good. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was disappointing though - the croissants looked nice but were rather stale, and the rest of the buffet selection was rather limited. Overall though a good nights stay and reasonable value at €91.50 a room. Dokkum is fascinating - we were only passing through on our way to Ameland, but looks worth spending some more time here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I walked off the street an booked this hotel for its location. The hotel was better than expected, helpful staff are courteous and casual. Good wifi coverage. Check in and out was a breeze. Walls are a little thin but passive sound is manageable. Good eats, beer and wine right on the canal.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel sits beside a canal in this well preserved, pretty old Northern Dutch town. I spent 10 days there - initially on my own, and then with a couple of friends who joined me. The rooms are simple clean and comfortable, with bathrooms. In fact the room I had was quite spacious, but my friends had a smaller (but quite adequate) one. I had a road-front room - which gave a prettier view - over the canal - but the road - normally quiet at night - did provide the excitement of the odd under-silenced car/bike zooming past at night, but nothing to complain of. The other room was at the back, and therefore quieter. This hotel not only provides its rooms on site, in the main hotel, but also at a couple of neighbouring buildings that you are given the front door key to. Possibly the neighbouring campus rooms might be quieter because of the very popular bar and restaurant, late in the evening. The food is very good, and wine selection very adequate and reasonably priced. Above all the staff were unremittingly friendly and good humoured. Once they knew I was on my own, the restaurant staff took trouble to make me feel very welcome. They all speak English, of course. I would stay there again, if in the area - no question.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street might be quieter, but a view of the canal and its banks is worth having.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Dokkum is a really cute city. Friday nights the stores are open late there, its good to know if you can choose what night to stay there. The hotel has a good location within the city, its a small city so nothing is that far, but the hotel is right in the center.
The rooms were fine. It was very hot and they didn't have air conditioning or even fans. Our room was right over the bar, and it was a bit loud, but it was a Saturday night. The service was not bad at all, but not great either. I think the staff was really busy the night we were there. The staff was pleasant for sure, but didn't go out of their way to do anything extra.
We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and both were good. Again, the service was fine, but nothing above and beyond.
I would stay at this hotel again, and I would love to have the chance to go back to Dokkum.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We were in the separate accommodation just down the street which isn't a problem, but if you don't like stairs make sure you book a low floor. Rooms are a good size but our bathroom was small even by European standards, but very clean and the shower rose was high on the wall which is often not the case here! We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was great as was the service. The hotel has a great view on the canal in an upmarket area and some great clothing shops just up the road.

Room Tip: No lift in the offsite accommodation so you may want a low floor. View of canal would be lovely but...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were driving through Friesland on a Sunday afternoon and decided to look for a place to stay over. Going through Dokkum we happened on this friendly and inviting hotel/restaurant with a lovely outside terrace overlooking a canal. We got a room in the old hotel building(500 years old, so no air conditioning) which was basic but clean and convenient. We spend a lovely time outside on the terrace before enjoying a really great dinner inside in the restaurant. Very friendly staff and good service and free street parking till 11:00am. My only regret was that the St Bonifatius Bitters was all out, so I will have to go back one day to enjoy it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BarryvJ
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel when I was traveling on business. My company picked it, because it was the only one remotely close to our site. Upon check in it was a little confusing. No parking except on the street and if you didn't get there early you were parking all the way up the road. The front desk is actually the bar and they speak a variation of Dutch called Freislandisch. The rooms are not in the same building as the bar they actually walk you next door to another building that is kind of creepy at times. The doors are hard key locks not card locks and you must use your key to lock your room when you leave. The room is painted in all black and the bed leaves something to be desired. The flat screen tv is small, but my view was of a nice little courtyard. The room is actually larger than most that I stayed in while in Europe though. Across the street is an old ship makers building and provides a rustic feel. If you travel here in the fall the fog rolls in pretty heavy at night over the channel and through the streets. Everything is pretty silent during the weekdays so it will make you feel like your in the movie "The Fog", "From Hell", or "The Mist". If you don't know these movies GOOGLE IT and trust me they aren't romantic comedies. The bar is good to hangout at. They have Heineken on tap and even have the extra cold version. There are two bartenders that are primarily there one male and one female and both are exceptionally polite and nice once you get to know them. It seems a lot of the locals especially the younger ones like to hang out here. The food is amazing, but take a left out of the hotel walk over the channel and on the left is a restaurant that serves amazing kangaroo steaks even though pricey. Overall this is a good hotel considering all factors. Just don't expect too much from the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dokkum
Hotel de Abdij van Dokkum
#4 of 11 in Ameland
Hotel Graaf Bernstorff
Hotel Graaf Bernstorff
#2 of 6 in Schiermonnikoog

Been to Hotel Cafe Restaurant de Posthoorn? Share your experiences!