See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

The main house of the inn, is actually the old residence of the former owners of the island. It is good looking, large white house, that shows its history. The rooms are in a new wing, behind the old house. The style of it is somewhat simple and "eighties" modern. Bit artsy-craftsy. The rooms and bathrooms are small, as are the beds. The mattresses have a plastic cover, which does protect the matress, I guess, but can can get pretty uncomfortable, during the night! There are no views from the rooms on eather side of the hallway. I think all the rooms are on the ground floor. It attracts mostly peacefull and pleasant guests and I suppose that is the main feature of the house. The surrounding garden is large, sunny and peacefull. Nice to have a friendly chat or read a good book. Also an important selling point. The breakfast basic/alright.

Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Worst accommodation stay I have ever experienced.

My boyfriend and I arrived to the accommodation on Sunday 21st June, and were greeted by a lovely smiley lady, who walked us round the premises, explained what time breakfast was and showed us to our room. We then went about our evening enjoying what schiermonnikoog has to offer.

Premises are very peaceful, and as such my boyfriend and I slept through breakfast unfortunately, when we awoke it was 10:15am, I was unsure what time check out was but assumed 11am as per other accommodation we have stayed in within the country. We started to get ready and shower to leave the room when at 10:35am a lady entered the room and told us the following;

Staff member: "Why are you not leaving?"
Us: "We are just showering now, ready to vacate the room"
Staff member "No! You are too late, you must pay for another night"
Us: (from bathroom) "Er Ok"
Staff member: "You must also leave now, when are you leaving? It must be in next 15 mins"
Us: "Ok"

We vacated the room at 11am, 15mins after the lady had been so rude to us.

I went to speak with her at reception, she told me to pay €132. I tried to enter into a discussion with her to advise we had not been told of the check out time, she told me I was told, even though it was not her that greeted us. I said I would like to pay for our stay but not an extra €27. She said if you don't pay this then you don't pay at all.

I paid the amount and left the premises.

I was horrified in the treatment we received as paying guests. If we were in the room longer than we should have then there are ways to approach this. Being screamed at and our space violated is not the way to behave when running an establishment like this. If she had approached us in a different way we would have probably been happy to pay this amount.

I was very upset afterwards, and it ruined what up to that point had been a delightful and pleasant stay.

Granted this is a while ok, but when complaining to the hotel directly I never received an apology, only a further email from the same lady saying that she was not sorry.

Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed 4 July 2015 via mobile

I stayed here one night in June on a tour through the Netherlands with my partner from Canada.

Many people summarised it well: this is an inn (herberg), not a hotel. When I booked it, it was rather last-minute, and the room cost me 110 euro. I was hoping that it wasn't quite as old-school inn as the name would suggest, because paying 110 euro for that is rather hefty. However, the total experience left me with mixed feelings especially price vs quality.

The location is great, and it is definitely the most quiet place I have stayed in my life. The outside of the building suggests somethings grand and classy on the inside, which is certainly the case in all the communal rooms. However the bedrooms are just so... Tired. Even the thought of them now makes me sleepy. They seem reasonably clean, but because everything is so dated you cannot see if it is dirty or just worn. There are old carpet tiles on the floor and two very short single beds with a stuffy blanket reminded me of my grandmother's retirement home. The bathroom looks like a sixties communal swimming pool. It really doesn't feel as homely as the rest of the building which is just such a pity. I was wondering if this was a conscious choice - to keep the outdoors feeling of the island together with the inn-feeling, but then again, it's not reasonable to charge 110 euro for that. Just like another reviewer said: where is the 'gezelligheid'?

The staff was very friendly and the breakfast, I must say, was really excellent (simple, though!). It was a typical Dutch breakfast with bread and cheese and such, but I loved the detail to put in some suikerbrood and krentenbrood, fully in Dutch fashion.

In summary, the entourage, breakfast and staff made up for the rather dated sensation i got from the rooms. However, for that price I'd stay somewhere else next time. Too bad because it has great potential with some upgrades!

Date of stay: July 2015
1  Thank doortje_d
Reviewed 11 January 2015

It was absolutely great staying in this beautiful, historic and very quiet hotel. The room we stayed in (2 person room) was rather small, but sufficient. Rooms are clean, bed are ok. Breakfast is fine too. All in all, nothing really extra-ordinary about this hotel, but that shouldn't be a problem. It seems that everything they do and offer, they do it good.
For us, it was a very positive experience and we will be going back if we ever decide to visit the island again.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2014

Rijsbergen is not your average hotel. To start with, it's not a hotel, but a 'herberg', or inn. While the service is good, it is not a full-service place, as you cannot have dinner and I never quite worked out what the bar opening times are. None of this matters, as the self-service breakfast is really good, there is an honesty bar with good beer and wine, and there are plenty of nice restaurants within walking distance. The rooms are basic, and as a long-time Schiermonnikoog visitor, I like it that way. It is a great place for children, because of the big garden and playground next door, and because the atmosphere is free, friendly and informal. And when the internet plays up (perhaps this is fixed know), you can truly appreciate the isolation of being on one of the most beautiful islands in NW-Europe.

Date of stay: August 2014