“No doubt the best in Schiermonnikoog”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Graaf Bernstorff
Reviewed 28 July 2012

No doubt this is the best place to stay in Schiermonnikoog. It has the best restaurant, the best location and probably the friendliest staff. You will indulge in a fantastic breakfast which features a rarity in Dutch hotels: smoked salmon and (almost) full english breakfast.

However... it is not all bliss. Rooms are so-so: furniture with stains or tears, very small tv, beds are very basic small single beds. As we spent most time touring the island on bike or lazing at the beach, this did not bother us too much.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We spent 3 nights with our family (2 adults, 3 children) in a hotel apartment in Graaf Bernstorff. If you like exploring nature and bicycling, this is a wonderful place. It is very relaxing to spend a few days without traffic! The island has a beautiful beach and extensive dunes, and also some lakes with birds, rabbits etc.
Graaf Bernstorff is in the middle of the village. The terrace is the best of the island. The restaurant serves really nice quite sophisticated food, not cheap but really tasty. Breakfast is excellent with a good choice of nice bread, fresh fruit, yoghurts, and good coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs have a little terrace where you can enjoy the sun.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

What a treat my parents gave me, a 3 days stay in Hotel Graaf Bernstorff on the Dutch Island of Schiermonnikoog. My friend and I had such a relaxing time, biking over the island, visiting the incredible beaches and even a small forest, what a place to get away from it all in my own country. The hotel is excellent, quiet rooms, great food and friendly staff. Bikes included. We loved the bunker museum and can recommend the seashell museum, beautiful shells from all over the world (and of course the island) and expained with such passion by the owner who found these shells all with his family, what a life!

Room Tip: location closer to the beach in Bernstorff aan Zee but rather worn down, best stay in Graaf Bernstor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We went to Schiermonikoog for my birthday weekend last year. It's an absolutely gorgeous island with fantastic, expansive beaches and great cycling paths.

I had heard good things about this hotel so I called ahead to reserve a room for 2 for the weekend. Prices seemed extreme so I asked if I could put a room on hold and still cancel if required. They said yes as long as it was within a certain time limit.

I hadn't paid yet so I decided to look around at competitive prices. The same day, I found a rate online stating that there was a deal for 2 nights lodging at this same hotel in an apartment that included breakfast, 1x 3 course dinner on Saturday evening and a bike rental for 2 people for a total of 380 Euros. I quickly called back the hotel inquiring about this deal. They made it VERY difficult and even yelled at me for inquiring after they found out I already had a room booked.

I told them with this kind of treatment, I preferred to cancel. A few hours later, I got a call back from the same person, stating that she would give me the rate I asked for as there seems to have just been some "communications mixup". I ended up taking the deal since they made the effort to call me back and try. However, I did feel like it could have been handled a lot more professionally by just giving the best deal to the customer right from the start, or else allowing me to take the deal after I found out about it.

In terms of the hotel itself, here's what we thought about it:

PROS
Bus service to and from the ferry provided by the hotel. Excellent.
Delicious dinner with a great selection of wines.
Central location.
Bikes provided for the day were in good condition.
Size of the apartment was good (2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen & small living room).
Nice small outdoor balcony attached to the apartment. Great for quiet morning coffees.

CONS
Old apartment in need of an upgrade.
Small, TV with hardly any channels
Uncomfortable beds & pillows.

Overall, we had a great time because we spent most of the weekend outdoors and very much enjoyed the nice dinner at the Graaf Bernstorff. However, it wouldn't have been worth the money for the normal rate they charge.

Room Tip: Look up every possible deal you can online before you book the standard rate. Call ahead and negoti...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wanderfool44
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We can only say positive things about the Hotel Graaf (Count) Bernstorff on the island of Schiermonnikoog. We booked an arrangement which included 2 nights in a luxury room or a flat, with breakfast, a bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival, a three-course dinner, two bikes, an information packet, a coffee and a Bernstorff herbal liquor. We were given a flat for five persons, so really spacious for the two of us. There was a living room with a dining and a sitting area, open plan kitchen, with plenty of cutlery, pots & pans and kitchen equipment, a built-in dishwasher, microwave and fridge/freezer. Separate toilet. Decent bathroom with bath/shower and washbasin. Two bedrooms with comfortable beds and nice linen. Also a balcony. Other guests showed us their luxury double room, which was also spacious and very nicely furnished. Wireless internet is accessible from the lounge and library. Everything is very clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a verandah which is heated on chilly days. There is a varied breakfast buffet, with plenty of good quality food. The stylish restaurant also serves excellent dishes.
A free bus shuttle from Hotel Bernstorff takes you from the ferry terminal to the hotel, which is situated right in the centre of the village. Across the street is a small but handy supermarket. We can definitely recommend this hotel and Schiermonnikoog. The carfree island (but lots of bikes!) is a unique experience. It was our second stay in this hotel, and it won't be the last.

Room Tip: There is no lift to the apartments, so choose one on the ground floor if you are less mobile.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had our wedding in July 2011 at the Hotel Graaf Bernstorff, and the staff at the hotel deserves the highest praise for the helpful good cheer with which they helped us organize the wedding, as well as the gracious hospitality with which they received us all. The hotel is beautiful, with an old-world, wood-paneled charm that would appeal to any fan of Agatha Christie novels. It also has food that I think will soon start topping the charts of culinary critics in Holland - I am surprised that such a level of cooking has not yet seem to come to the attention of the food journals, as meals here far surpassed ones we have had at other establishments decorated in various food accolades. Marcel, the chef, cooks traditional dishes with a fresh take - not only by offering a menu full of local-grown products, but also through combinations of textures, spices, and ingredients that give depth and refinement to every single dish.

We found a dream partner for planning our wedding in Monique Talsma, from the staff of the Bernstorff. Over the course of months, she answered our barrage of questions upon questions with steady good cheer and unwavering helpfulness. She also served as our ceremony officiant, translating every part of the ceremony from Dutch to English and pulling it off with humor and grace.

We had originally planned for our ceremony to take place outside, but when the summer rains forced us to move the location indoors, the whole Bernstorff staff pulled through in an extraordinary effort, transforming the restaurant into a dream wedding location. One would not have noticed from the outside that anything extraordinary was happening - they handled a situation requiring quick thinking and complex coordination with astounding graciousness and calm.

Thank you again, Hotel Graaf Bernstorff, for giving us a dream weekend that we and all of our guests will never forget!

Room Tip: There are suites with living room and kitchen, and also regular rooms without. Room 48 is a penthous...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank travelingcello
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Very pleasant hotel. We stayed in a junior suite. Excellent food and athmosphere at dinner time. Staff is helpful and friendly.
The only drawback ( for an island that does not allow cars ), is the insistance of the municipal clerk at mowing the central square lawn at 8.00 in the morning......

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andresonville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiermonnikoog
Hotel Duinzicht
Van Heeckeren Hotel
Strandhotel ZandtaanZee
Strandhotel ZandtaanZee
#3 of 5 in Schiermonnikoog

Been to Hotel Graaf Bernstorff? Share your experiences!