“Enjoyable Experience”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duiven
Billings, Montana
“Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I was taking the scenic route (lost) when I spotted this hotel from A12 highway. I was tired and pulled in. I am so thankful as my experience with this hotel was outstanding. From the front desk to the dining area, both dinner and breakfast, the people, service and food was just great. Now that I know where it is I will make it a point to stay there at least once on my next visit. It's a little out of town but obviously a big hit with the business community as they were definitely in attendance. The room, bed, and view were great and the facilities available are much more than normally available in a European hotel. Again, the staff was extremely friendly which can be part of their training, their sincerity in doing their work and pleasing the customer was outstanding. They treated their job as a career rather than a job and that was definitely pass on to me.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Malo, Italy
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My second visit to this hotel, I spent 3 nights (Easter 2013) with my best friend at Van der Valk Hotel Duiven bij Arnhem A12 and I have to say THANK YOU for the very good service we received.
I stayed in both a double-room and a family room, I can say they're really comfy, as well as the bathroom, featuring both a shower and a bath, and we also had a balcony to smoke on. Priceless !
The breakfast buffet is enormous, regularly re-filled and there's something for everybody's taste. It is generally served from 6 or 7 until 11 a.m., which is awesome if you like sleeping a bit longer in the morning.
The Spa area is not so huge, can sometimes be a little bit overcrowded especially during the w-e, yet it's worth a visit, especially the steambath, after a long-day.
Smiling and helpful frontdesk: I left my Mastercard as caution when checking-In and paid later cash when checking-out. Everything smooth !

If I had to suggest anything to make people's stay even (when possible) better, then I would simply suggest to: provide information panels in the Spa area, so that people can understand how a sauna/steambath should be performed (I had to switch on the steambath by myself after sitting 10 minutes and waiting for steam) and ... where are the deckchairs to lie on and relax between a sauna and a stembath ? :) :) i haven't see any :) and the pool is a bit far away

I'm looking forward to having a couple of days-off more to enjoy at Hotel Duiven bij Arnhem A12 ! Seriously, I miss you already so much !
Dank U wel en tot ziens

Alberto/ Malo, Italy

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 26 March 2013

For 25 years I've been a regular patron at VDValk-hotels all over the Netherlands. After visiting this property near Arnhem, it immediately became one of my favorite VDV's.
From the moment we came up the driveway it was hard not to notice the blue flags announcing the chain as "The Luxury Valk Hotels Of the World", altough there's still a distinct difference with the "Small Luxury Hotels Of The World" it promised to be a GREAT stay.

Most VDV's are known for their friendly athmosphere and larger than average rooms, in this particular case the amenities also include ensuite bathrooms with jetted tubs and rainshowers; and, on the 14th floor there's a small but cosy heated pool overlooking the surrounding area, the fitness and wellness center with complimentary access for hotel guests includes large rainshowers, a steamroom and three regular sauna's. A wonderfull place to unwind.

We also chose to have dinner at the so called Live Cooking Event, which is a buffet style venue where first quality products like scrimp, salmon, veal, etc... are on the menu. The rate of €34,50 per person includes unlimited waters, juices, sodas, beers, wines and coffee. Needless to say, no one leaves without feeling hungry nor thirsty.

Despite of my overall satisfaction with VDV-hotels, I usually have some kind of little tiff (see my other reviews), NOT so for this property, in all honesty I cannot find anything negative to say about it... I do have a couple of pointers for the chef:

- unlike other VDV Live Cooking Events, the beef carpaccio here is placed on small plates. This drying out the carpaccio and making it lose taste, better place it on large trays and keep it chilled on the buffet. Dry carpaccio is a terrible waste of first quality products!
- the salmon and sole rolls also are proof that this hotel doesn't skimp on food, however they are placed in a heated recipient that causes the fish to overcook, once more a shame for expensive products. Maybe this item can be replaced by something which doesn't dry out so easy.

All in all I had a wonderfull stay, nice dinner and amazing breakfast. Yes they can be prepared to welcome me back anytime soon at the Van Der Valk hotel Duiven bij Arnhem!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeoRaeves
Leiden, the Netherlands
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times and enjoy the spacious rooms & friendly staff. The restaurant is OK but nothing too special, breakfast in the morning is varied but lacks some basics (natural plain yoghurt). Location wise it's perfect for business but not in an area where you can easily get to any other restaurant then the one in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
merchtem
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I travel several times a year to the Netherlands with my wife and my sister and brother in law .
I visited 30 hotels in the last 10 years and this is my favourite. Next to being a new and fully equipped hotel, the concept stands for a decent service and a (very) good stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Spent one night here on business, the room was lovely and very large, clean and well maintained. Would liked to have ventured up to the pool and spa but there was no time avaliable. The breakfast was good and all the staff greeted us with a smile. All round a pleasant trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 23 September 2012

stayed three nights at the duiven, and it was a very good experience.

rooms were large, and mine (on the 3rd floor) had a huge deck outside, that i made the most of to sit under the stars! the bathroom had a wonderful whirlpool tub, but the water pressure in the shower was dismally low.

wifi is free and blazing fast.

service was nothing to speak of; it always surprises me, especially coming from the east where we pride ourselves on the service provided by the hospitality industry, that in european/american countries service is either very basic, or is seen to be provided almost as a favour!

the food was excellent, and what a breakfast spread! service was horrid though - after long waits had to ask for menus, napkins, cutlery etc

the decor of the hotel is a little odd; very pink and orange and shiny black.

the spa was excellent, and the lady who did my massage had magic fingers!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duiven
Van der Valk Hotel Arnhem
NH Arnhem Rijnhotel
NH Arnhem Rijnhotel
#1 of 14 in Arnhem
Holiday Inn Express Arnhem
Landgoed Hotel Groot Warnsborn
Van der Valk Hotel Nijmegen- Lent
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Doorwerth-Arnhem

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Duiven? Share your experiences!