“Good value”

Van der Valk Hotel de Gouden Leeuw
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Voorschoten
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel is good value for money. Rooms in the building opposite main reception are big and spacious. We had a small balcony which was nice as we could open the balcony doors for fresh air. Breakfast was comprehensive but staff seemed to be more busy re-stocking items than paying attention to customers. Plenty of parking and good transport links to both The Hague and Leiden. Voorschoten village with shops and restaurants is 15 mins walk away.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Van der Valk Hotel de Gouden Leeuw

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Okay, if you are a light sleeper then I would recommend the rooms in the same building as the reception. Although the rooms in the other building next door are more modern I found the buzz of the ventilation system there really annoying! I finally got peace after changing rooms twice. This room was very quiet. I was very grateful to Edoardo the night receptionist who sorted this out for me. He really knew the hotel well and took my issue seriously. He was proactive and understanding. Thank you Edoardo! The girls on the day reception were okay but I think they thought I was really high maintenance and they did not know the building well enough to move me to a room that was going to be okay for me.
On the positive side the food was good and the rooms were spacious and the bed comfortable. I found the wifi excellent.
Apart from the noise the thing that put me off was the decor. Really old fashioned in some of the general areas. Seems like it is a fairly elderly clientele so maybe that is fair enough.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floor of the adjacent building to the main reception seem to be the noisiest...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2014

When we arrived, front desk said we hadn't paid for room and had to pay again. (We had already paid through booking.com) Although we knew they were wrong and we had paid in full, we complied as we were in no mood to stand and argue. When we returned home, it was clear we could prove paying twice but it took a few phone calls and emails to get the money back. Why could Hotel Gouden Leeuw not see our payment on their system?? This would have stopped bad feeling all round.
The room was adequate but cold. I rang down for some extra blankets as we were tired from travelling. They never appeared. We just had to wait for the heating to kick in.
Although the breakfast was good, on the final day we needed to catch an early plane and wanted to eat as soon as restaurant opened - 7am. They were not ready for us. No hot water for tea. I kept asking but they were 'waiting' for it to boil. I eventually explained our predicament and one kind waitress went into their kitchen to provide boiling water!
We don't normally stay in these 'chains'. I'm afraid it just strengthened all the negative feelings I ever dreamed this type of hotel would be like. No service or care.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlassJan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

3 times changed room , the first room i had the idea a horse had slept there, the smell, than we get smoke free havana room, finaly I got something, has been better before, sorry to say they need to redo their act of playing hotel. Restaurant is fine, always good no complaints there, service extremely slow, we had neighboring tabel who tried to stay nice, but at one moment started to comment on the time spend waiting. price is what you pay value is what you get, well that is definitivley out of balance. Valk has wonderfull places all over holland where it is good to stay, de gouden leeuw need a kick in the right direction to get back to splendor of before, if it ever goes back. Hotel is not for business, internetservice you can forget. in room wifi, i could see i had a connection, but e mails did not even open. Comments of the front desk, yes that is our free service. So do not give service when you do not have it. will go to other Valkjes in the future. volendam is nce. most of them are good sleep overs, good plain understandable food, perfect breakfast I must say, really that is super. not honest to say all was bad.

Room Tip: eat don't sleep
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bob s
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed in the hotel in August as we were meeting friends who were staying at duinrell park. The hotel was fairly easy to get to from voorschoten station, it was a bit of a walk though, 20 mins the first walk as we werent too sure where it was. We were checked in very efficiently and the receptionist was very helpful when we asked how to get to duinrell.(Theres bus stops right outside the hotel that go to leiden and den haag) We'd booked a comfort deluxe with bath, room (through booking.com) and it was exactly how it looked in the pictures, although we were a bit dissapointed that the room didn't have a balcony (1st and 2nd floors only have balconies) but the room was clean the bathroom was lovely and the decor of the room was great. The bed was a little uncomfortable as it was 2 single beds pushed together(the booking said the room came with 1 double bed) but this seems to be the norm with hotels in holland. The hotel has a well known resturant and it seems people come from all over to use it as the big car park did fill up around dinner time. We didn't use it unfortunately as there seemed to be a lot of older people using the resturant and in fact the hotel, so we went to Leiden to eat both nights. Both nights sleeps were interrupted quite early in the morning as there seemed to be a distribution warehouse in the hotel grounds which happened to be outside our room and my partner got woken up both mornings by trucks coming in, palettes reversing and general loud chattering. The nice thing is in the fields they have a sort of animal sanctuary and we were really suprised to see kangaroos, Ostrich's, and deer amongst the chickens, sheep, ducks and lambs.lovely for the kids to see. One other negative is the entrance to the block where are room was, smelt very badly, like mould, the carpets could benefit a very good clean. All in all this hotel is very good value for money, we paid €99 for 2 nights, excellent public transport near the hotel that takes you basically everywhere. If your looking for value for money outside the city then this is an ideal hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LauLauDon
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel yearly. Standard rooms are ok, but the comfy-rooms are better equipped, especially room 319 on the 2nd floor. Plenty of parking spaces. Breakfast is excellent. Lots of choices, cold and hot. Great portions for dinner at not too pricey. One can help as much as one likes from the free salad counter.

Room Tip: Rooms 319 (comfy type)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank volendam
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This was a stay moivated by practical reasons, I needed somewhere cheap and cheerful to rest our heads in the vicinity of The Hague. At 89 euros (through booking.com) for myself and two kids it was a great deal. Shame they tried to charge me 20 euros more for an extra bed (which was already included in the booking.com price). to be fair, this was solved fairly rapidly. Room was dated but adequate. Bathroom could do with renovating, but again, at these prices... Breakfast was a pleasant surprise, the most elaborate I've ever seen in the Netherlands.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank spoiltbrat69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Voorschoten
Van der Valk Hotel Leiden
#7 of 16 in Leiden
Hotel Den Haag-Wassenaar
Hotel Den Haag-Wassenaar
#1 of 5 in Wassenaar

Been to Van der Valk Hotel de Gouden Leeuw? Share your experiences!