1. The room is large and has a sofa, arm chair, desk and work chair. There is a good
lamp (for working) on the desk. There are tea and coffee making facilities.
2. Breakfast was above average with plenty of choice, lots of tables and good access to tea and coffee.
1. The address given for the hotel needs to be checked. The websites I looked at show the hotel as being on Ataturk Cd. This is also the address that my GPS has for the hotel. The hotel states (on its website) that it is located on Hastane St. Google maps has 3 Hastane Cds. in Sanliurfa – none of which has the hotel on it. Whereas Google maps shows the hotel as being at the junction of Sht. Nusret Cd. and Metoroloji Cd. This confusion lead me to make several passes through the town center in heavy traffic and heat – whereas the correct address would have gotten me here 25 minutes earlier and with a lot less hassle on a hot day. Getting the location of the hotel correct is fairly basic stuff.
2. I presented my paperwork at reception and the receptionist started to search. This took several minutes and he behaved as if he could not find the reservation. This involved calling colleagues, checking and re-checking my passport to ensure my name was correctly spelled. However, with 2 other colleagues involved, my booking was found. I was ignored during this time. During the check-in process I was told nothing about the hotel, breakfast hours, the fact that there is a pool and fitness center and so on. My room key was then handed to a porter: no mention of “The porter will show you to your room”. Having come 6,000 miles without anyone to show me the way and having got here on the right date, I am perfectly capable of getting a few floors to my room. So I asked for the key to my room. Instead of giving it to me the staff started to insist that the porter would take me. Of course, when I am paying such insistence only makes me decline more firmly. If I was to design a course on how not to run a hotel reception I couldn’t have done better.
3. There is parking at the hotel, but it appears to be only accessible by hotel staff driving your car. I got a handy receipt for the car saying that the hotel isn’t responsible for any loss or damage to the contents of the car or any damage to the car during the time that they are parking it. I think that has invalidated my car hire insurance terms as well as being completely unreasonable. Today on wanting to use my car, no staff member was available to find and give me the key. Again, large numbers of staff were involved, radios were used. The staff member appeared but he was then set to another floor while I waited at reception. Eventually that task was completed and I was finally given the key to my car. The valet had turned on the alarm (it is a hire car and I wasn’t shown how to operate the alarm) and so I opened the door and the alarm started to go off with me not having any idea of how to stop it. Some more searching and I found the valet and he turned off the alarm. Again, I was frustrated at this experience – valet parking is supposed to be a convenience - this felt like being treated as a nuisance and kept waiting.
4. I arrived at my room and decided to try the free internet provided in the room. I followed the instruction card and it doesn’t work. Back down to reception to report this. The receptionist writes out the instructions on the card in my room and gives them to me. I tell her that I have tried that and my notebook says that the wifi signal is too weak. She then takes me to the business center to show me how to follow the instructions she has given me – even though I can’t get the form she wants me to complete on my screen – because the wifi signal is too weak. After 30 minutes I say that I am not going to wait any longer and ask if there is a complaints system for me to record my dissatisfaction with this experience. Suddenly a manager appears, he reassures me that someone will come to my room and fix the problem. 5 minutes later a man comes to my room with a cable, plugs it in and the computer connects to the internet! By the way, he mentions that he knows that there are problems with the routers on this and other floors (but apparently reception staff don’t know this). I am pleased that I now have access to the internet but not pleased that it has taken about 50 minutes to get it.
5. A quick look around my room and both the windows are very dirty (looks like they haven’t been cleaned in a year) – shame because I am on the 10th floor with a potentially good view. I sit down and pull the desk chair towards me and the arm flies off in my hand. It has clearly been broken for some time. The shower is part of a bath – but the bath plug doesn’t work so it is only a shower with the extra inconvenience of having to climb in and out of a bath. I tried to use the bath plug and it became stuck – so I had a shower and the water wouldn’t drain. It just feels shoddy. On my last morning I find water standing in the bath from last night and the plug won’t shift – so much for the maintenance call of yesterday to fix this problem.
6. The room has no iron or ironing board.
7. There is a fridge in the room with a glass door and an internal light. It is very bright at night. I turned it off and worried that I was damaging the contents. But I found out that the fridge is turned off when I go out of the room anyway and I shouldn’t have worried.
8. I returned from diner on Friday evening at 22:00 and a live band was playing above the ceiling of my room. The drums in particular were loud and eerie through the ceiling. Fortunately, the music ceased at 22:50 – but not my idea of a relaxing 50 minutes late evening in my room. I believe that hotels should stick with being hotels; weddings, discos, live bands and hotels don’t mix. In Los Vegas I stay in hotels and visit casinos.
9. On checking out a manager said that I had that I hadn’t paid (I was new to Turkish hotels at the point and was soon to learn not to believe hotel staff). So I paid. On checking that evening I found that I had paid in full at the time I booked. I telephoned the hotel 7 times, emailed the hotel twice and emailed the head office of the hotel. None of these were acknowledged / I wasn’t able to talk to people who could help. Eventually I contacted the booking website. First they said that they would contact the hotel and get them to refund the charge. In the end they seem to have given up and the website itself refunded the charge to me. So, I have my money back from the double charge – but it has taken a long time and a lot of effort. It is hard to find words that adequately describe this poor customer service from the hotel. Completely unsatisfactory.
I would never stay at this hotel again. It is trying to be a full service hotel but the staff and systems aren’t up to it. I wish I had stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn – a bit further out of the centre but lots of parking on site and a new hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This prestigious 5-star hotel boasts an impressive all-round city view and provides contemporary accommodation and facilities. Relax in the heated indoor swimming pool or unwind in the fitness centre, before enjoying an evening meal on the terrace, a drink in the bar, or late night dance at the hotel's own night club venue. The Safran Restaurant serves a wide range of tastes, including local delicacies, in a la carte menu options. A rich breakfast buffet is available every morning. Certified as an environmentally friendly hotel, Dedeman Sanliurfa is about a 15-minute walk from the sacred site, Balikli Gol (Fish Lake). Dedeman Sanliurfa is 35 km from GAP Sanliurfa Airport and a 5-minute drive from the Sanliurfa Bus Station. A shuttle service can be arranged on request at an additional fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dedeman Sanliurfa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.