“Could try harder......”

The Airman at Meppershall
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: An independent hotel and restaurant in the glorious Hertfordshire countryside, The Airman at Meppershall is an idyllic dining getaway mere miles from the sprawls of Luton and Bedford. Classically styled in keeping with its idyllic location, The Airman is comfortable and spacious, perfectly turned out with immaculate white tablecloths, gleaming glassware and polished brass candelabra style lighting. Working closely with local suppliers and producers, the kitchen team at The Airman use high quality, well sourced, seasonal ingredients in a menu of British favourites with a homemade, hearty flavour. A superb, considered children���s menu has cemented The Airman���s status as a favourite family destination while the Sunday Roast is truly unmissable.
“Could try harder......”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for a week whilst working nights nearby. From the outside the hotel looks run down and unloved. To be honest it didn't get much better inside! On booking the staff were told that I was working nights and as such would be sleeping through the day, armed with this knowledge I was allocated a room without curtains just a blind! Luckily I can sleep anywhere so the fact that the room was light didn't really bother me too much, the thing that did wind me up though was the checkout time, as I've said the hotel were informed on booking that I was working nights and when I asked for a late checkout for my last day 1pm was the best they would do, that gave me a maximum of 4 hours sleep before leaving and then 7 hours of nowhere to go before starting work, making for a very long last shift!
The room was pleasant enough, the bed was comfortable if not a little small.
Breakfast was adequate although the menu would benefit from a bit more variety.
The best thing about this hotel were the staff, always smiling, always pleasant.
All in all, not a bad stay but to be honest the hotel could do with a serious cash injection and some urgent updating.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A lovely evening supper at The Airman”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Being local we decided to walk to the Airman rather than cook a meal at home, being a warm and pleasant evening. They were serving a nice refreshing pint of "Brasilia" in defeerence to the World Cup, and we had a nicely chilled bottle of Cab Sauvignon. However, we both ordered a Rump Steak with pepper sauce, and having read some negative reviews we weren't expecting much, however, kit was delicious, perfectly cooked too. The Chips were hot and the side salad was tasty with a marvelous dressing. Dessert of Belgian Waffle was gorgeous. We;ll be doing the same walk very soon, what's not to like ?

• Visited June 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Lunch”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Called in for lunch at the Airman. Food was fab, definitely recommend the burger and hand cut chips. Staff very friendly and attentive. Will be paying another visit very soon.

• Visited March 2014
hitchin
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

A friend was joining me for Sunday Lunch and when I drove past the Airman and a sign outside said "The Best Sunday Lunch in Bedfordshire" I thought with claims like that it must be reasonable so I booked. When we got there it wasn't full not a good sign. The restaurant lacked atmosphere, our table wasn't laid properly and the young staff didn't seem to have a lot of idea. It wasn't served in the traditional Sunday Lunch way but what I called poshed up where the food is piled on top of each other. Although the food was ok there was hardly any of it. We had crumble for dessert and weren't asked what we would like served with. I had to ask the waitress for some custard. I certainly wouldn't go there again. If you want a really nice Sunday lunch I would recommend either the Flying Horse at Ampthill or the Inn on the Lake at Bletchley. Both have nice surroundings, friendly staff and above all good food

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sylvie L
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“xmas dinner”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

in early december we went to the airman for a meal to try it out. and it was fresh, hot and brilliant, so we decided to have xmas dinner there, it was the worst meal that ive ever tasted no brussels, ready made yorkshire pud ,out of a packet , roast potatoes,out of a packet .frozen stuffing ball the starter was 2 scollops that where no bigger than 1p , xmas pudding ,was warmed in micro , smaller than cup cake , the cookie that went with the pannacotta was rock hard and over cooked. could of had a better meal with tesco basics, was certainly not worth the asking price of £50.will not be going here again, and will not recomended to anyone , you didnt even get a xmas drink on arrival, we didnt go out for xmas dinner to have a ready meal.

• Visited December 2013