“Not very happy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Chicago, Illinois
“Not very happy”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I've stayed there few nights and the staff was very rude. Room was clean but it needs lot of repairs. Hot water would run out soon. The table with the kettle was swayed, toilet seat was broken and the carpet needs to be changed. The sleeping was very uncomfortable, I could feel the springs in the mattress. Breakfast was fine but I could smell something burned. I was not happy with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Recently stayed here as I was completing some work in London and hotel is close to M1 and A1. Normally I don't choose to review hotels, but in this case I wanted to list a few points that made my stay overly pleasant.

- I was always greeted with a smile by the local friendly staff. I do a lot of work up and down the country and a friendly smile is hard to come by nowadays!

- I had stayed and eaten before, upon arrival I noticed the advertisement of a new chef team. I can say that I was extremely pleased with the quality of food, I particularly enjoyed the chicken in curried spices, it was delicious!

- The rooms had clearly been refurbished since my last stay and were well worth the money.

I couldn't fault the hotel on this stay and will continue to stay here if ever back for business.

Well Done Airman!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Airman Hotel is a 22 bedroom establishment in a good location, near to a roundabout on the main road between Bedford and Hitchin. We stayed there for 3 nights in early September 2013. Car park is cost free on-site.
Bed & breakfast daily rate was reasonably low, I've paid a good deal more for worse places.
Our room was spacious and reasonably clean. It was on the first floor corridor served by a creaky staircase.
Our breakfast meal experiences were interesting. On the second day, the fresh milk for cereals or tea etc was strange smelling/tasting. Perhaps the exceptionally warm weather was in part to blame. On another day, bacon served was in crispy streaky small slices, very brittle. Baked beans were of the watery tomato sauce variety.
Our first evening was marked by an electrical problem in kitchen which ruled out hot food in restaurant and hot snacks in bar. It seems that the problem was rectified by contractors later in evening.
Staff encountered were all pleasant and helpful. We noticed that those on duty in evenings were different each day. Things worked because people were tolerant. Overall, OK.
I would stay there again but I'd only recommend it to friends who might cope.

Room Tip: Park in the shade on those hot sunny days when things in car might melt.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed in the family room on the top floor, but as there were just the two of us, we had plenty of space to rattle around in. No sur-charge either for under occupancy so that was good. The TV didn't work, though we were not fussed about that so never reported it. Bed was large and comfy. The bathroom was distinctly average though, the shower was very poor and noisy and no 'power shower' that's for sure! The bar area is pleasant with an outside area as well but its by the road side, so noisy a lot of the time. I queued for food at 20:50pm and when the bar staff finally got to me at 2105pm I was told 'no more food', kitchen shuts at 2100pm! Terrible customer service, no effort to ask chef or explain to chef I had waited for 15 mins beforehand! We found a lovely curry house a mile away thankfully! Would never eat there again after that. Its a good base for the greyhounds (1 mile away) or Woburn Safari Park (25 min drive), but take your sense of humour with you if staying here!

Room Tip: Book the family room even if a couple, lots of space and no extra!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DWRW
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We are a family of 6 so we needed a family room. I had booked the room last october for my friends wedding. First impressions looked ok a bit tired def needs a facelift. The room was nice and spacious even for 6 of us. We were told we would need a extra fold up bed which was fine this was confirmed as we made our payment on arrival. However when we asked for it they didnt have any left. Not good enough i'm afraid.
During the wedding breakfast it was a very slow process I had to in the end get one of my kids to say we don't have a dinner. The staff were friendly but no way enough of them. The soup was nice and so was the mains however the chocolate torte was terrible it was so soft and almost mushy when it got to us ( it was a very hot day) but still this shouldn't have happened. The other annoying thing was you had to come out of the marque to get to the toilets it was a pain especially if you have young children
Next morning my husband went to go have a shower and it wouldn't work properly one minute cold water was pouring out then he would get a splash of scorching hot water.
Breakfast was ok. We had that and went straight home.
I wouldn't go there again!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
TheAirmanHotel, Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
We apologise unreservedly for the poor service you experienced during your stay with us. We recognise there have indeed been some issues, and we have been listening. Since your stay the Airman has recruited new key team members along with staff training and essential and on-going maintenance. As ever we aim to improve guest experience, and are grateful for your feedback.
Sincere Apologies
The Airman Team

Travellers are raving about these Meppershall hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

When I went to my room I found it already occupied by somebody else. This was a bit of a shock.

The food was generally poor: the pudding was really grim; at breakfast the white of the eggs was uncooked. Couldn’t find staff most of the time, the bedroom was unpleasant.

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SLC_UH
TheAirmanHotel, Reception at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
The hotel would like to apologise for the mix up with your room. Reception staff have put new measures in place to ensure this does not happen again.
North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This attractive looking pub offers no frills pub rooms. Our room was clean and a good size. The walls are thin, but we weren't disturbed during our one night there. An ironing board was provided quickly when asked. Tea bags and coffee sachets, plus milk, were not provided in generous quantities, but I have no doubt that we would have been given more if we'd needed the same. The TV was very small, so you will need good eyesight! We watched TV on our tablet (wifi is free), which was an easier option. There is no air conditioning and the pub is located on a roundabout - consider this if you need windows open. The curtains are thin - consider this in the summer months. Toiletries are very basic, but most people travel with their own these days - we do so this wasn't an issue. Our double bed had a good mattress. The single bed did not. We did not pay for breakfast, so cannot comment. The staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. This pub does not provide a luxury stay, but it doesn't promise to. The room rate would be excellent value for money if breakfast was included. If you need to be in the area on a budget, then this pub is fine. Unlike Beadlow Manor Hotel nearby. Steer clear of there. If you prefer corporate, then you may pay less if you book ahead for a Travelodge or Premier Inn etc., but you wouldn't get the convenience of a more rural location close to Hitchen and Shefford.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are small with sloping ceilings. Rooms at the front overlook the roundabout...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Champneys Henlow
#1 of 1 in Henlow
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,691 reviews
The Old Piggery Guest House & Yurts

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!