“Good stay”
Review of The Airman Hotel

The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed here twice this year when visiting our daughter and family nearby.Both rooms we stayed in where great the first one had a 4 poster bed.Tea and coffee,hairdryer and trouser press in room.The meals were very good we had food in the bar and breakfast.There is a big open fire in the bar and the staff were very friendly and helpful.Hope to be staying again soon best hotel that we stayed in around the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed at The Airman for 1 night with my wife on our journey back up country to Yorkshire from France, staying overnight before attending an event in Lincolnshire. I have eaten and attended wedding and birthday events at this hotel in years gone by as i lived in the area for 4 years upto 2010. i have to say our one night stay was not a pleasant experience. Arriving early evening we were checked in by the reception staff who later doubled as bar person, waitress and general dogsbody who had to be very good at customer service skills as complaints rained in from all sides. We were given keys to a room on the 3rd floor at the same time as 2 contractors were handed keys to the room next to ours, Entering the room we saw a carpet that was stained and marked all over, a desk that swayed from side to side when it was touched, general cleanliness that left a lot to be desired, paintwork that was well beyond its repaint date and a bathroom with a hole in the ceiling where the shower head should be fitted. Bare windows, no pleasant vase even with a plastic flower. My wife went back to reception and complained and we were given another room on the 2nd floor. Entering this room we were greeted by a 4 poster bed in pine!!, 2 windows with red drapes hanging off the rails, a 2 seat leather sofa that was to look at rather than sitting on but at least the bathroom had a shower head attached to the ceiling. Having driven over 500 miles over 7 hours we were tired and hungary.We opted to ride it out. I remember eating here in the past and enjoing good home cooked food. Going to the bar we were greeted by the receptionist now turned bar person who told us that most items were off the menu as they were sold out. Having determined what was available, which wasn't much, we ordered. Food came, not as we ordered but with some items additional and some not delivered at all. Many people had similar problems and complained to the poor girl behind the bar. She did her best and for this reason i award a 1 star rating. In summary The Airman is well past its best, decour, cleanliness, service, food etc are WELL BELOW the expected from what basically is a 3 star travel lodge with on site food. My advice.....avoid at all costs unless you are desperate. For me and my wife, never again thankyou!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin P
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I've stayed there few nights and the staff was very rude. Room was clean but it needs lot of repairs. Hot water would run out soon. The table with the kettle was swayed, toilet seat was broken and the carpet needs to be changed. The sleeping was very uncomfortable, I could feel the springs in the mattress. Breakfast was fine but I could smell something burned. I was not happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Recently stayed here as I was completing some work in London and hotel is close to M1 and A1. Normally I don't choose to review hotels, but in this case I wanted to list a few points that made my stay overly pleasant.

- I was always greeted with a smile by the local friendly staff. I do a lot of work up and down the country and a friendly smile is hard to come by nowadays!

- I had stayed and eaten before, upon arrival I noticed the advertisement of a new chef team. I can say that I was extremely pleased with the quality of food, I particularly enjoyed the chicken in curried spices, it was delicious!

- The rooms had clearly been refurbished since my last stay and were well worth the money.

I couldn't fault the hotel on this stay and will continue to stay here if ever back for business.

Well Done Airman!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Airman Hotel is a 22 bedroom establishment in a good location, near to a roundabout on the main road between Bedford and Hitchin. We stayed there for 3 nights in early September 2013. Car park is cost free on-site.
Bed & breakfast daily rate was reasonably low, I've paid a good deal more for worse places.
Our room was spacious and reasonably clean. It was on the first floor corridor served by a creaky staircase.
Our breakfast meal experiences were interesting. On the second day, the fresh milk for cereals or tea etc was strange smelling/tasting. Perhaps the exceptionally warm weather was in part to blame. On another day, bacon served was in crispy streaky small slices, very brittle. Baked beans were of the watery tomato sauce variety.
Our first evening was marked by an electrical problem in kitchen which ruled out hot food in restaurant and hot snacks in bar. It seems that the problem was rectified by contractors later in evening.
Staff encountered were all pleasant and helpful. We noticed that those on duty in evenings were different each day. Things worked because people were tolerant. Overall, OK.
I would stay there again but I'd only recommend it to friends who might cope.

Room Tip: Park in the shade on those hot sunny days when things in car might melt.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed in the family room on the top floor, but as there were just the two of us, we had plenty of space to rattle around in. No sur-charge either for under occupancy so that was good. The TV didn't work, though we were not fussed about that so never reported it. Bed was large and comfy. The bathroom was distinctly average though, the shower was very poor and noisy and no 'power shower' that's for sure! The bar area is pleasant with an outside area as well but its by the road side, so noisy a lot of the time. I queued for food at 20:50pm and when the bar staff finally got to me at 2105pm I was told 'no more food', kitchen shuts at 2100pm! Terrible customer service, no effort to ask chef or explain to chef I had waited for 15 mins beforehand! We found a lovely curry house a mile away thankfully! Would never eat there again after that. Its a good base for the greyhounds (1 mile away) or Woburn Safari Park (25 min drive), but take your sense of humour with you if staying here!

Room Tip: Book the family room even if a couple, lots of space and no extra!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DWRW
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We are a family of 6 so we needed a family room. I had booked the room last october for my friends wedding. First impressions looked ok a bit tired def needs a facelift. The room was nice and spacious even for 6 of us. We were told we would need a extra fold up bed which was fine this was confirmed as we made our payment on arrival. However when we asked for it they didnt have any left. Not good enough i'm afraid.
During the wedding breakfast it was a very slow process I had to in the end get one of my kids to say we don't have a dinner. The staff were friendly but no way enough of them. The soup was nice and so was the mains however the chocolate torte was terrible it was so soft and almost mushy when it got to us ( it was a very hot day) but still this shouldn't have happened. The other annoying thing was you had to come out of the marque to get to the toilets it was a pain especially if you have young children
Next morning my husband went to go have a shower and it wouldn't work properly one minute cold water was pouring out then he would get a splash of scorching hot water.
Breakfast was ok. We had that and went straight home.
I wouldn't go there again!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
TheAirmanHotel, Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

We apologise unreservedly for the poor service you experienced during your stay with us. We recognise there have indeed been some issues, and we have been listening. Since your stay the Airman has recruited new key team members along with staff training and essential and on-going maintenance. As ever we aim to improve guest experience, and are grateful for your feedback.
Sincere Apologies
The Airman Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Days Inn Stevenage North
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!