“Appalling Hotel”
Review of The Airman Hotel

The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel has to be the worst hotel I have ever had the mis-pleasure to stay-in. Never stay or eat there. I stayed for 4 nights on business and ate on the first night, did not eat inthe place again..The room was so basic it was almost upto doss house standards, toilet did not work, had to ask for toilet paper (the hotel had ran out!). Words fail to describe just how bad this place is.

Room Tip: Do not stay there.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACAChap

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Absolute dump. Worst place you could ever imagine having food, drink or accommodation at. Avoid at all costs. Staff are the only plus point, but they are working with a seriously poor quality product.

Room Tip: Room 21 is at least spacious, but very tired.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SDGG148
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Turned up last Friday for a two night stay (2 Adults & 2 Kids) after booking a few months ago. They had us booking in as 4 Adults in a family room. On the booking in sheet they had the also had the wrong tel no & email address for us. Went to the room only one Double and One Single bed. and no kettle to boil water for the complimentry
tea and coffee. They told us that the kids would have to share. They had no alternative rooms for us. Asked the receptionist to speak to the Manager, not available, asked to speak to the owner, don’t know who that was. Got a full refund and went and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Bedford (only £50 per night for a family of 4 inc breakfast). A family member had also booking in for our second night, they had lost booking, that he made in person. They found a room for him.

The hotel, or the bit we saw, was very tied and in need of a complete overhaul.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn Express at Bedford
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Drive past the Airman on route to work and wondered what it would be like. I stopped to have a coffee at the weekend and wished I hadn't bothered. On entering through the main door the receptionist totally ignored us as we went through to the bar and when I asked the barmaid for two coffees I might as well have asked her to sell me her children. Whilst waiting for the coffee to arrive a quick look round the bar revealed that it is tired and needs some TLC. The Christmas tree looked like it had been thrown up with no effort regarding the decoration which to me was a general reflection of the establishment. When the coffee arrived it was just about undrinkable. We left straight after past the again unresponsive receptionist. Thankfully we only spent £4, I would have hated to have risked a meal so won't be visiting again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed here last weekend to attend a local party. The whole place is very tired and in desperate need of a make over. The rooms and corridors are very shabby and the paintings are cheap posters in ill fitting frames. The dinning area had 3 different patterns of wallpaper in it, none of them matching!!
It was unbearable hot in our room with no way of turning the heating down. We had to sleep with the window wide open, which on the ground floor, wasn't a very safe feeling. I must say the acting manager was lovely, and was struggling to run the place after the manager quit suddenly.
This hotel may be a convenient location but that's all its got going for it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I went to The Airman for an engagement patry. The room was a good size and had lovely decorations, which were not done by the Airman. The buffet food was good but was taken away at 21.30! There was loads left and the happy couple were not asked. To top it off they put some sausage rolls and spicy chicken on sticks in cling film on the table, they were not even on paper plates! (I kid you not). The Airman is not value for money.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I was taken here recently on a surprise birthday stayover by my boyfriend (ah bless what a kind thought) and he managed to get a good deal - the honeymoon room (the biggest apparently) for £60 with breakfast.

Basically, this hotel is : you get what you pay for - you pay £60 a night, you get that type of hotel; its never going to be anywhere as good as the Ritz.

The staff were friendly and happy to help - he needed a bottle chilling so they put it in the bar fridge and provided us with an ice bucket and some champagne flutes.

The room itself was spacious but, as others have said, very dated and with cheap furnishings really. There was a leather looking sofa and cushions at one end of the room; there was a four poster pine bed (no curtains I notice lol); a very very old-fashioned TV but it did have all the channels we wanted; tea and coffee making facilities (again most cheap hotels do not supply this) - all in all it was a good room

I do have to say the bedding and towels were good quality and very clean, and they did provide toiletries which a lot of hotels in this price range do not - so good on that score.

THERE WAS NO HAIRDRYER in the room at all which disappointed me as this was supposed to be their top room.

BEWARE THOUGH - the room absolutely stunk of food!!! When we investigated, we found that this room is actually on top of the kitchen !! and worst still, one of the windows did not actually fit the window frame at all, thereby allowing a one inch gap around the whole of the window to allow all smells in and also to let the cold air in on what was a pretty cold night outside (5 degrees).

Breakfast, I have to say, was pretty dire and poor (free of course). I opted for a vegetarian breakfast for a change and the girl said that she would do me a breakfast but would have to leave the meat out lol...we had to then ask her what would be included in a veggie breakfast - when it came, it wasnt all that and a very small portion. The toast and jam was nice; the coffee was incredibly strong to the point where it couldnt be drunk.

On their website they talk about how they have a brand new kitchen staff and menu. I certainly hope their evening meal is better than their breakfast.

When we checked out, we did mention to a new girl that there had been no hairdryer in the room (not good); the window did not fit the frame (even worse) which was letting cold air in and lots of kitchen smells : she said she would mention this to the manager and get it sorted......I hope they have been?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madmichyLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Days Inn Stevenage North
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!