“Sensational food and service!”
Review of The Airman Hotel

The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I bought a dear friend her to celebrate her birthday and we had an amazing time. We were warmly greeted on arrival and treated ourselves to a cheeky drink in the bar. The bar was reasonably priced and a lovely atmosphere which is a welcome change these days. We decided to dine in the Restaurant for dinner and were greeted at once and shown to a lovely table right by the window. The food was sensational; I would recommend this to anyone! Our waitress was absolutely fantastic! She made us feel so welcome and made my friends birthday really special. We will defiantly return, and bring our friends. We visited 15/02/14.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Coops333

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at The Hotel last weekend and I must say we were really impressed. The location of the hotel is really convenient and upon check in the lady told us about a new Head Chef that has recently joined the team so we decided to give the restaurant a try. I'm so glad we did as I can honestly say this was one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time. Upon talking to one of the members of staff they advised us that the hotel would be having new menu's over the next few weeks so we will definitely be coming again, even if it's just to eat! The bedroom itself was really reasonably priced so we didn't expect a lot, but the rooms were really light and spacious and with tea and coffee facilities and all bathroom toiletries this was an added bonus which you don't see a lot these days! Really impressive stay and I will be more than happy to recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebbieBay
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had a family party locally (not in the hotel) and so were a large group, having at least 12 rooms booked. We were booked in quickly on arrival and some confusion over the bookings was soon sorted. We spent a couple of hours in the bar and had lunch, it was all lovely. The rooms are very basic and dated, they need some investment and improvement and a couple of our party were not happy with the standard of cleanliness of the rooms, especially the bath!
They had the smallest TV's I've ever seen in a hotel but the rooms had a kettle.
Breakfast was where they really let themselves down. We had booked Bed and breakfast weeks ago and it would have been obvious that we would turn up expecting a full choice. We expected delays due to the numbers, but breakfast continually came out wrong and they ran out of mushrooms and the black pudding must have been cut with a potato peeler it was that thin.
The one plus point was the staff, or should I say one member of staff, a young lad who was the front of house, manned reception, the bar and served meals, never stopping and showing excellent customer service, it's just a shame the back room staff didn't reach the same standard. Would I stay here again? The choice in the area is very limited which is probably why there is a lack of investment on the hotel, which is a shame because it could be a goldmine.
Message to the owner, put your hand in your pocket and give the place a facelift.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank King8195
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel has to be the worst hotel I have ever had the mis-pleasure to stay-in. Never stay or eat there. I stayed for 4 nights on business and ate on the first night, did not eat inthe place again..The room was so basic it was almost upto doss house standards, toilet did not work, had to ask for toilet paper (the hotel had ran out!). Words fail to describe just how bad this place is.

Room Tip: Do not stay there.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACAChap
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Absolute dump. Worst place you could ever imagine having food, drink or accommodation at. Avoid at all costs. Staff are the only plus point, but they are working with a seriously poor quality product.

Room Tip: Room 21 is at least spacious, but very tired.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SDGG148
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Turned up last Friday for a two night stay (2 Adults & 2 Kids) after booking a few months ago. They had us booking in as 4 Adults in a family room. On the booking in sheet they had the also had the wrong tel no & email address for us. Went to the room only one Double and One Single bed. and no kettle to boil water for the complimentry
tea and coffee. They told us that the kids would have to share. They had no alternative rooms for us. Asked the receptionist to speak to the Manager, not available, asked to speak to the owner, don’t know who that was. Got a full refund and went and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Bedford (only £50 per night for a family of 4 inc breakfast). A family member had also booking in for our second night, they had lost booking, that he made in person. They found a room for him.

The hotel, or the bit we saw, was very tied and in need of a complete overhaul.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn Express at Bedford
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Drive past the Airman on route to work and wondered what it would be like. I stopped to have a coffee at the weekend and wished I hadn't bothered. On entering through the main door the receptionist totally ignored us as we went through to the bar and when I asked the barmaid for two coffees I might as well have asked her to sell me her children. Whilst waiting for the coffee to arrive a quick look round the bar revealed that it is tired and needs some TLC. The Christmas tree looked like it had been thrown up with no effort regarding the decoration which to me was a general reflection of the establishment. When the coffee arrived it was just about undrinkable. We left straight after past the again unresponsive receptionist. Thankfully we only spent £4, I would have hated to have risked a meal so won't be visiting again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Days Inn Stevenage North
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!