“Great staff but busy main road nearby”
Review of The Airman Hotel

The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Great staff but busy main road nearby”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stopped here for a night. Wonderful warm welcome at reception. Told all we needed to know about our stay. The hotel seemed very nice.
Our room was adequate. The door lock wasn't very good, loose in the hand and awkward to lock. As it was a very warm day we decided to open the windows. Then we realised that being on the side of the hotel that faces the very busy A507 Road there was am all lot of noise. We hoped it would be quieter later in the night to allow us to keep the windows open. We went for a meal in the meantime.
We decided to eat in the bar rather than the restaurant. Bar service was very good and they had real ale on offer. The food was served after about 15 minutes and was very nice and properly cooked.
Eventually we went back to the room. The traffic never did down and I noticed the large number of vehicles that had very loud exhausts. I ought to have, between them and the jelly slab called a bed and the pillows that had the support of rice paper, they kept me awake all night.
Eventually it was time to get up. I now discovered a large amount of mould on the shower curtain which was not nice.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant, which seemed a nice room. We'd opted for the full English breakfast when I booked the room. Luckily my wife let me have hers as a single portion would not have been enough at all. The food itself was quite nice and again was well cooked.
If I could be guaranteed a room facing the fields rather than the road I'd stay here again. The staff really were very good and helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room at the back, odd numbers in the 20's should be fine.
1 Thank Anthony B
TheAirmanHotel, Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I apologise for the shower curtain. I can assure you this has now been replaced and will not happen again. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the food we have on offer and that are staff were all on hand to help with any requests you may have had. I have mentioned to the owner that the bed was not as comfortable as it could have been. We are looking to replace in the very near future,. Unfortunately you do hear the traffic on warmer evenings when the windows are open. We will always do our best to provide a room at the rear of the hotel if requested.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We spent 3 nights there but would not consider a return any time.
I must say from the start that the staff were very good; always smiling and helpful...so no complaints there.
List of problems:
The hotel is very run down and needs a good face lift. seals and grouting in bathroom had been repaired several times; wallpaper tatty; plaster on some walls peeling (outside) for instance.
We had a large room but the view was of a couple of wooden sheds with paint peeling on the doors and stuff dumped in between. (I know you don't book a hotel for the view but, still...)
No curtains as such, just a transparent looking roller blind.
Beds were old style divans and not over comfortable.
TV looked like something from Bargain Hunt and took a degree to fathom how to use it.
When we booked in we were told breakfast was from 7.00 to 9.00. On Saturday we had to have an early start so went down at 7.20. Hotel completely shut.
Finally got in at 7.35 only to be told no breakfast until 8.00; we had to leave by then so forfeited it. They have promised a refund.
Cooked breakfast was typical hotel English but the optional choice was a packet of cereal and fruit juice. No yoghurts, croissants or fruit.
They also quoted 70.00 per night but charged and extra 15.00 which we are still sorting out.with them.
There were no leaflets in the room, explaining the meals and enticing you to have dinner there; that's unusual. Also, no rack in the reception containing tourist attractions. it would have been very useful for us.
Well you get the picture. It's not cheap and does nowhere compare to,say, a Premier Inn for a little more money. I do understand if you book The Airman on line it is cheaper though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TheAirmanHotel, General Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are currently still in the process of refurbishing the bedrooms. The summer months are busy for the hotel as we hold so many weddings and functions, which in turn is delaying some of the bedrooms being decorated to avoid any disruption to our guests.

The storage sheds out the back are also due to be repainted and we are currently awaiting on quotes for the redecoration of the outside of the building.

Your suggestion of tourist information leaflets is something I will look into to have on display in reception for our guests.

We do usually display copies of the hotel menu in all our rooms, however the menu has just changed so we are yet to put the new copies in the bedrooms.

Travellers are raving about these Meppershall hotels

Mayenne, France
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have never stayed at a hotel like this. It made Fawlty Towers look like the Ritz. On booking we asked if it was suitable for people with mobility problems. They said "Yes, no problem". On arrival we were asked to pay for the total stay up front. Never, ever, had to do that before. Our room was at the back of the hotel with a see-through blind at the window and no net curtain. The bath with shower over was built up on a plinth and I couldn't get into it. Had to have a strip wash but the plug was the wrong size for the sink and the water just drained away! The appliances hadn't been tested for almost 2 years, despite the sticker on the appliances saying they were due to be tested in December last year! Dirty tea-bag/coffee stains down the wall under the kettle. The bathroom door didn't stay shut, just kept pinging open. Dirty linen outside our room in a metal cage which was soaking wet the next morning after a night of rain. Guttering broken outside our bedroom window (Room 4) which sounded like the Niagara Falls all night. I understand this was a form of Japanese torture during the second world war. At least their victims didn't have to pay for it!!! The mattress on the bed I don't think had been replaced for several decades. When we turned over, we both rolled into the middle of the bed. Also, the bed wasn't joined in the centre and was moving apart. On the second night, and last night, because we booked in at the Ramada in Luton, there was a school prom with 200 school children, and the marquee was only 20 feet from our room. You can imagine the beat from the music! I would NEVER recommend anyone to stay here and I will be writing to the Airman for an explanation!!! The receptionist tried her hardest to try and find us alternative accommodation but due to a big festival in the area made it very difficult for her.

Room Tip: Get a room with a net curtain!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TheAirmanHotel, Front Office Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Despite you checking into a ground floor room, it was regrettable you were unable to use it. The manager on duty addressed this situation and unfortunately was unable to offer you a more suitable room as the disabled room was already in use. You were refunded for your other days that you were due to stay and again the manager on duty tried to help you find a more suitable room in the area. The hotel is currently under going a refurbishment however this has had to stop for the summer due to function season. The staff tried to rectify your problems whilst staying at the hotel and it is regrettable that you didn't enjoy your stay. We have however taken all of your points on board.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

NO, NO, NO!
I have a dog,'Hugo' and as the website stipulates 'pet friendly'
After having directly booked, reception confirmed my booking and knowledge of my companion, took my credit card details as guarantee..
Having travelled many miles, was expecting, at least a shower and bed for the night..
Upon arrival, was greeted with hostility and ignorance!
I was refused a stay.....

Complete denial was their first reponse/Over booked and 'Big dog'.

After me demanding to see the owner/manager

His input to the situation was 'What, I'm busy'

I hope he reads this and understands that people expect to be treated respectfully..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank kyri j
TheAirmanHotel, Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
We do welcome small dogs to the hotel. This is with advanced bookings where arrangements are made and one of our 4 ground floor rooms would have been allocated. Our booking records showed no record of the large dog coming to stay and we have also checked with the staff member who took the booking, who also was not informed a large dog would be coming to the hotel.

As we were full on this particular evening we were unable to move the guests to a more suitable room, therefore could not accommodate him.

This guest was very rude towards staff and his parting words were to expect this review which is not justified according to us
bedfordshire
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we were daft enough to book the dinner& breakfast deal. This is not value for money.
Although chef tried his best -dinner menu poor.
Although breafast was vastly better-selection of cereal for me :) and good looking fry up for the other half.
Rooms clean but could do with a good freshen up.
Tv-very small so you better sit close!
Staff are all a bit over the place however they do try their best.
All in all we have stayed in much better places for less Inc by the coast!

This was ok for our stay-Just OK. But needs a good make over & better menu.

Had I of had time to read the reviews I would not of booked, but this one was booked in rush.

Worth 50 quid a room Inc breakfast not 65 - due to dated interior!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank charlotte090
TheAirmanHotel, Front Office Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our full menu was available that evening but we did also have a large function of over 200 people in house. I have liaised with our chef regarding these issues and he has informed me he personally came out to your table to check your meal was ok.

We are also aware that some of our rooms may still be a little dated. All the hotel bedrooms have now been recarpeted, however we have had to stop with our refurb at the moment due to wedding season ( to avoid minimal disruption).

We have taken all your points on board and will continue to make improvements to the hotel.
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at the airman. The room was large clean and good value and free tea and coffee in the room. I tried the food and was supprised that it was propper food no frozen rubbish here and the guest beer on tap was very nice. Will defanatly stay again when in the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Simon G
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

After booking this hotel late after being let down by another local hotel it was welcome

It was late when I arrived so I can only review the room.

It was a huge size, nice bed and clean. Like so many hotels in England I have stayed recently it was a bit tired looking, the extractor fan in the bathroom, when switched on, was like a fighter plane taking off, the TV was small and the internal door would just about close with some effort. Wifi was available FOC but a little slow, okay for emails though. Staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast was £7.50 so I gave this a miss as it started too late for me anyway

Too high a price for what it was and a little disappointing overall but it was 30 minutes from Luton Airport and avoided the motorway the whole way there so it was okay in that respect.

I think it has just changed hands so we will see what happens in the future as it has so much potential to be a nice village pub, restaurant and hotel

Overall average, but clean

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tony809
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Days Inn Stevenage North
#1 of 1 in Henlow
The Green Man
The Green Man
#1 of 1 in Stanford

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!