“Awesome little pub”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Awesome little pub”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We visited this pub on a very cold but very sunny Friday in November having walked across the moors from Princetown to Hexwortht. We arrived just before 2pm and when we walked in the lovely member of staff said that she was thinking about shutting up as they had been very quite. Despite this she offered to stay open for us with no qualms or grumbling. The staff there are very friendly and helpful and offered to cook us a meal even though they were intending to shut up. I had the steak and ale pie (which was amazing) and my other half had ham, egg and chips. The food was really nice, I'd definately eat there again, it came out piping hot and was just what we needed. I was particularly impressed with the landlady who, having found out it was my birthday the following day, guessed my age and knocked 8 years off!!!

We'd definately go back there, potentially to stay and explore other parts of the moors. A definate must for anyone in that area.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank Fiona C

Mayfield, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay for dog lovers”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Have just revisited the Forest Inn after a break of 3 years not realising that it was now under new management. Well we needn't have worried the welcome from Sam and David to the four of us and our 4 huge dogs (2 GSD's and 2 Leonbergers) was so warm we felt as if we had known them forever. Lovely comfy beds and a good choice of honest pub grub went down very well with us all, and of course all the dogs loved Sam (well who wouldn't on the promise of sausages at breakfast time!) Will definately return in the spring.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Linda E
devon england
“Rabbit a la Shiraz !”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I reviewed here earlier this year and sadly my husbands choice of rabbit was not on the menu that day, so he had been a little disappointed in his choice of jacket potato, his prawns were rather small.
On this visit I repeated my choice of jacket potato with mushrooms and bacon and was again delighted with the potato and side salad, very satisfying and delicious.
My husband ordered the rabbit pie with eager anticipation, the veg were just as he likes them and the pastry delicious, but the rabbit was not as he imagined it would taste, very sweet and 'musky'. I tasted a little and was glad that I had not ordered it, obviously for some, it is a very popular choice. We asked how it was cooked and was advised that they used a Shiraz wine, most of our friends who cook rabbit use a drinkable Burgundy wine. As he remarked the meat was cooked to perfection but the taste was not how he recalled rabbit pie.
But we will return again soon as their food is good and the atmosphere, friendly and inviting, we would recommend here for anyone exploring the moors,

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank gina s
“A warm welcome!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this pub on a windy wet Dartmoor day. They are very welcoming, dog friendly and the food was average. Good enough for a nice lunch! Would recommend but if you want better food push on to the Two Bridges Inn.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Portreathmaid
Burnham-On-Sea
“Great place for dog walkers”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I'm a bit late with this review, but we stayed at the Forest Inn back in March and had a really good time. Stayed four nights and ate well (and differently) each night. Good Specials Board that changes every few days. Landlady and lord were exceptionally friendly and the locals were good fun. Excellent full English breakfast with free sausage for your hound! They have dogs and are obviously keen to have yours stay, too. The Inn's right bang in the middle of Dartmoor and there are really lovely walks (long and short) right outside. Try Wistman's Wood - that's a must. A very short drive will get you anywhere on the moor. The walks, the dog-friendliness, the food and the ale are important to us and the Forest Inn came up trumps on all counts.

• Visited March 2013