“Quaint, Rustic and Totally Charming”

The Westleton Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westleton
Norfolk England
“Quaint, Rustic and Totally Charming”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We booked a last minute 3-night stay at the Westleton Crown last week after seeing a 3 nights for the price of 2 offer on their website. We were certainly not disappointed by this charming inn. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and sincerely by two members of staff and shown to our room under the eaves in the main building. The room was their top-rated "best" room but was slightly smaller than I had imagined. It had a small double and a single bed in it and would have been nicer if the single bed was not there and the area it took up made into a small seating area as there was only one easy chair in the room. However, we had no intention of spending much time in the room so it wasn't really an issue. The room was simply but beautifully done out in white with white egyptian cotton bed lined. The bathroom was small but again beautifully done out with "old fashioned" taps and an enormous roll top bath which I nearly drowned it. Everything was spotlessly clean and was kept that way throughout our stay. Each room is named after a bird which was rather good as I never can remember a room number when asked!

We had decided to have the first night's meal in the hotel and probably go out the following two nights to the other pub in the village. However, the food was so good and the other pub rather dire (we popped up there for a drink the first night) that we ate in the hotel on all three nights. The only reservations we had about the food was although it was absolutely beautifully prepared, cooked and served it was a tad expensive and it would be a good idea if they had some less "fancy" dishes on the menu for the times you don't want rich food. However, having said that it was excellent and again the "waiting-on" staff were all so friendly and helpful. Their wine list is an afficionado's dream but again a little on the pricy side. An excellent house Chilean Merlot is to be recommended. A three-course meal for two with a bottle of wine doesn't leave much change from £70. Breakfast was served in the conservatory and again there was plenty of choice with the full English being cooked to order - something that doesn't happen in many hotels these days.

There is a resident's lounge but as many have said before it's a tad on the weary side and not somewhere you can really relax for long. The free wi-fi was slightly intermittent and only worked a very short distance from the router.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay and would certainly return again to this charming spot.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candice-7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Suffokl
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Clean and functional room in a converted out building, delightful touch in that the rooms are named after birds. One of the most powerful shower units I have ever come across!
It was a shame the dining room window sills had dust and debris on them during our entire stay!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Somerset
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I enjoyed my stay in the Crown, Whestleton. It is a lovely little village inn, in the centre of the small village of Whestleton. The hotel started as a small inn and has expanded to meet the growing demand by adding a series of barn conversions, loft conversions and by taking over a block of adjacent cottages to provide additional rooms. It is very busy (at least in summer) you really need to book. It is rather expensive. There are no room numbers, they are all given bird names. All a bit twee, and rather confusing. The guest lounge has a small library and a television, but is rather cluttered and not very inviting. There is really nowhere to relax other than in your room.

The rooms vary in quality and cost, as they describe on their web page, but even the smallest (like the ones I have stayed in) were well decorated and have high quality cotton bedding. The common areas, though, need some TLC and redecoration.

Meals are available in the bar, restaurant and by room service. I ate in the both the bar and restaurant, and the full menu is available in both. I enjoyed my meals; the food is excellent, and a credit to the new chef, but it is rather rich and a bit fussy, and it is rather expensive - typically £30 and upwards per person for 3 courses and coffee, excluding wine/drinks. It is possible to spend much more. The restaurant does tend to get booked up, even during the week, and it is essential to book at the weekends. They may not be able to fit you in even in the bar.

Breakfast is fine, cooked fresh and served in the conservatory, but they don’t start serving until 7:15, and even then not everything seems to be out. One morning there were no cereal bowl, and the orange juice needed a stir.

The hotel, bar and waiting staff were friendly and helpful but it would be more professional if they wore proper footwear, not flip-flops, and were a little more attentive.

If you were staying for a while, you might try the local pub (like I did). It sells a range of beer, and has good, wholesome food at more realistic prices! The staff and customers are really friendly.

They only claim free wi-fi in the guest lounge, but in practice several of the rooms in the main building have access too. Mobile phone coverage is patchy in the village and some networks do not work in the hotel at all.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Manyhotels
kent
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We have just spent a perfect weekend at this lovely pub/hotel. Lovely room, lovely food, excellent service. Set in a picturesque village, perfectly placed for visiting Southwold & Aldberg and many other Suffolk beauty spots. The restaurant is very popular so make sure you book a table. The breakfast is excellent served in the conservatory or the garden on a sunny morning, enjoy. Only criticism would be that the whole of the pub bar is taken over by tables for food, it seems to have lost the feel of a "pub", but that is the only fault we could find in this lovely place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My partner and I have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Westleton. Following the recommendation from a friend we were expecting good things and it didn't disappoint. We had one of the smaller rooms but it was plently big enough for the two of us. The bed was very comfortable and the shower great. There is a lovely tiered garden where you can retreat into nice secluded areas for a glass of local cider or ale and a good book - the fine weather helped. The food, as many have commented, is amazing. Staff were great and the atmosphere very relaxed - they even let us off demolishing one of their umbrellas following a particularly windy walk along the coast. I would highly recommend a stay at the Westleton if you are heading to the Suffolk Coast, my only reservation in recommending it is that it will become so popular if everyone gives it 5/5 that it will no longer remain a 'hidden gem' and be too busy or pricey when we book the next time (and there will be a next time).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
ENGLAND
Reviewed 23 May 2009

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights, we were travelling with my son and his wife who both live in Tokyo Japan in the exclusive Chiyoda District, and had returned to England for a short break.
We have travelled throughout the far East staying at many exclusive 5 star hotels but our stay at the Westleton Crown was excellent the food was excellent, the room excellent and the location excellent, we woke early morning for a walk on Dunwich Heath 5 mins from the hotel we saw herds of wild deer in excess of 25 in number.
The food was equivalent to many of the top rated hotels and restaurants we have eaten in.

We have already recommended this hotel to two very good friends who have booked up.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Norfolk
Reviewed 16 May 2009

My partner and I have recently come back from a weekend away at the Westleton Crown. We arrived Friday evening to be warmly welcomed by the receptionist and she gave us the key to the "Kingfisher room". This is one of the Westletons "Best" Rooms and I can say we were not let down.
The room itself has low beams and although I am tall, my head was still clear. It has a lovely romantic feel to the room and the bed and furnishings are of a high standard, right down to the delightful home made biscuits. Then we come to the bathroom which has a lovely wet room and very large roll top bath where 2 can easily relax.
We ate that night at the restaurant and that was our first encounter of Frederick, and being in customer service myself, I was amazed at his detailed knowledge of the menus both evening and the breakfast, and also his attention to our meal etc. He has to be one of the best restaurant managers I have encounted, the food itself is quite stunning some of the meals are very complex but the steak and ale pie is a pure delight.
The second night I had arranged for us to be moved (without my partner's knowledge)
as it was her birthday the hotel had placed flowers and home made chocolates in the room which was the "Swan room" with 4 poster bed and the roll top bath in the actual room, watching Tv in the bath is something not to be missed!
The breakfast was also very nice with good choice and great local produce. All in all this place is an excellent place to stay for a romantic getaway or even a base for visting the local area. The price itself is very good for the level of accomodation and service provided. I would not hesitate in staying here again and I would recomend it highly to anyone that asked.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westleton
The Ship at Dunwich
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh
The Crown
The Crown
#3 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The Westleton Crown? Share your experiences!