We booked a last minute 3-night stay at the Westleton Crown last week after seeing a 3 nights for the price of 2 offer on their website. We were certainly not disappointed by this charming inn. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and sincerely by two members of staff and shown to our room under the eaves in the main building. The room was their top-rated "best" room but was slightly smaller than I had imagined. It had a small double and a single bed in it and would have been nicer if the single bed was not there and the area it took up made into a small seating area as there was only one easy chair in the room. However, we had no intention of spending much time in the room so it wasn't really an issue. The room was simply but beautifully done out in white with white egyptian cotton bed lined. The bathroom was small but again beautifully done out with "old fashioned" taps and an enormous roll top bath which I nearly drowned it. Everything was spotlessly clean and was kept that way throughout our stay. Each room is named after a bird which was rather good as I never can remember a room number when asked!
We had decided to have the first night's meal in the hotel and probably go out the following two nights to the other pub in the village. However, the food was so good and the other pub rather dire (we popped up there for a drink the first night) that we ate in the hotel on all three nights. The only reservations we had about the food was although it was absolutely beautifully prepared, cooked and served it was a tad expensive and it would be a good idea if they had some less "fancy" dishes on the menu for the times you don't want rich food. However, having said that it was excellent and again the "waiting-on" staff were all so friendly and helpful. Their wine list is an afficionado's dream but again a little on the pricy side. An excellent house Chilean Merlot is to be recommended. A three-course meal for two with a bottle of wine doesn't leave much change from £70. Breakfast was served in the conservatory and again there was plenty of choice with the full English being cooked to order - something that doesn't happen in many hotels these days.
There is a resident's lounge but as many have said before it's a tad on the weary side and not somewhere you can really relax for long. The free wi-fi was slightly intermittent and only worked a very short distance from the router.
All in all we had a very pleasant stay and would certainly return again to this charming spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westleton Crown is a traditional Coaching Inn with origins extending back as far as the 12th Century. It retains the character and rustic charm of its heritage whilst offering guests the sophistication and comforts of contemporary living. With its quietly cracking log fires and real ales through to the 34 newly refurbished, stylish, comfortable bedrooms and imaginative menus we are sure that you will enjoy every part of your experience at The Westleton Crown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your The Westleton Crown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westleton Crown Hotel Southwold
- Westleton Crown Southwold
- Westleton Crown Hotel Southwold
- The Westleton Crown Suffolk