“Gone downhill a bit”

Bagelman
Ranked #6 of 7 Bakeries in Hove
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Bagelman started in 1996 when Julian, our founder, started a one-man bagel delivery service to help fund his way through a degree at Brighton University. In response to popular demand, the first Bagelman store opened in 1999 at 7 Bond Street and since then we have gone from strength to strength; we now have a bakery serving four stores! Inspired by the lively Jewish delicatessens of New York and London’s East End, we combine the sensory richness and liveliness of the full delicatessen experience with the irresistible lure of a real bagel bakery.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

If I had written this a year ago I would have given them 5 stars and said they were my favourite place to eat. I used to go in multiple times a week for the breakfast bagels as they were the best ever. Don't get me wrong they are still good, but it has definitely gone downhill.
For a start the bagels have reduced dramtically in size, yet the prices have gone up! It always annoys me when this happens and retailers think the customers won't notice.
I always had the bacon, omelette and hash browns. The last time I went in there they no longer deep fried the hash browns but warmed them in an oven. I'm sure this is probably healthier but all it did was make them soggy and completely tasteless.The last 3 times I have been in I have asked for butter on my bagel and each time they have forgotten and had to be reminded.
In summary, they are ok but no longer great I am sad to say.

There are newer reviews for Bagelman

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Our friend took us here to grab bagels to take to the beach. There were lots of choices and you can craft your own bagel. Only critisism is that the bagels are expensive - to fill us up for lunch we had to buy filled bagels - BLT etc and these were on the upwards of £3.50!

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I visit weekly and love the bagels
A fantastic choice for vegetarians is available - I highly recommend the veggi sausage wrap!

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Been going to the bagelman for years now, always enjoyed it combinations are good and staff are friendly! Also good for buying plain bagels to make your own at home!

1  Thank Jack H
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I went in late Nov 13, as a lunch date with my Daughter. The food is good and the menu choice is good if you like bagels.

My problem with it is that they touch all the ingredients by hand, and the guy serving me felt that he had to touch the bagel at least 50 times. All this with out wearing gloves.

A simple thing that would make this sandwich shop a cut above the rest.

1  Thank BigDazza_2013