“Consistently good food!”

Price range: US$0 - US$78
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sam's of Sevendials is a family-owned bistro in the heart of Brighton's Seven Dials - just minutes from both the station and the seafront. Formally Sevendials Restaurant it now has a fresh new look and more relaxed vibe. Set in a former Lloyd's bank building, the restaurant's interior is impressive and features a newly fitted bar area and many black board specials. With a variety of seating areas Sam's is perfect for business lunches, family celebrations, dates and birthday parties. Sam's award-winning British menu includes favourites such as the salad of pork belly in an Oriental marinade of white radishes and spring onions; the risotto of smoked salmon and chives with seared scallops and coral butter; and the decadent Vairhona chocolate fondant with rum and raisin ice cream. The restaurant also boasts a private dining room, impressive global wine list available by the glass, carafe and bottle and a large South facing terrace open in the Summer months.
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband I last went to the Seven Dials a couple of weeks ago for lunch. This was our third visit in about a month for various reasons and we came here most recently to use a voucher which was about to expire. The food was excellent - as always. Sam's is just round the corner from us and we've been a lot over the past few years and never been disappointed. This time we went for the set lunch and were thrilled with what we had. We weren't too sure about the starter at first - we shared a beetroot mouse with roasted garlic which sounded a bit off the wall but was delicious; light and fluffy, almost like a savoury angel delight (albeit a high end one!). I opted for the grilled mackeral with yummy pomme anna and spinach and my husband went for the lamb kofta with cous cous. He doesn't normally like cous cous but was pleasantly surprised. For pud we shared a passion fruit pannacotta which was exquisite. The above, along with a carafe of wine came to less than £40. Excellent value! Normally we would only visit on a special occasion as the evening menu is not cheap - although worth every penny. However, coming for the set lunch proved quite affordable and a real treat on a rainy Saturday in February!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently had Sunday lunch at Sams. They do brunch as well as a lunch menu which is a nice touch at weekends. I had eggs royale from the brunch menu and it was delicious. The eggs were not runny but I prefer them served that way. The hollandaise sauce was gorgeous. I was dining with my sister and she had the roast beef which she said was very good. We shared a cheese board which was generous - plenty for two. You can get wine in 500ml carafes which is great when one likes white and the other red. We also had pre-lunch cocktails which were lovely. The only negatives are the tables are very close together and the service while not awful isn't great - not what I expect in a pricey restaurant. The staff aren't rude or unhelpful they just come across as not really interested. Tables aren't cleared very quickly and we had to ask to see the dessert menu.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

We went and had the 2 course menu all choosing the duck rillette and foie gras which turned out to be extremely bland. We mentioned this when asked what we thought only to be told everyone else that ordered it that night enjoyed it. Don't ask our opinion if you don't want it. We didn't ask for it to be removed from bill and it wasn't. We had spent a lot and it wouldn't have been the end of the world if a gesture was made. Anyway it was the first and last visit for me!

7  Thank Ckhurghada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This restaurant is in a residential area so you are not so likely to find tourists and day trippers there. Some of my friends go there regularly, and the standard of cooking and service will certainly make me visit again. The steaks are excellent.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We came to Brighton for our anniversary and wanted somewhere nice to eat for the Saturday night. The service was great, very attentive and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. Great bread, lovely champagne, cocktails, wine and beer - we tried them all! We don't like fussy, pretentious places so the relaxed style, chatty and bustling atmosphere were just what we wanted. Don't normally do review but this place deserves it.