“Elegant and classy”

Alcove
Price range: US$0 - US$78
Cuisines: French, International, British, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Sam's of Sevendials is a family-owned bistro in the heart of Brighton's Seven Dials - just minutes from both the station and the seafront. Formally Sevendials Restaurant it now has a fresh new look and more relaxed vibe. Set in a former Lloyd's bank building, the restaurant's interior is impressive and features a newly fitted bar area and many black board specials. With a variety of seating areas Sam's is perfect for business lunches, family celebrations, dates and birthday parties. Sam's award-winning British menu includes favourites such as the salad of pork belly in an Oriental marinade of white radishes and spring onions; the risotto of smoked salmon and chives with seared scallops and coral butter; and the decadent Vairhona chocolate fondant with rum and raisin ice cream. The restaurant also boasts a private dining room, impressive global wine list available by the glass, carafe and bottle and a large South facing terrace open in the Summer months.
Hove, United Kingdom
“Elegant and classy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I came here for our anniversary. The food was gorgeous. Particularly the beef fillet medallion which was perfectly cooked. I had the Belgian marquise for dessert which was incredibly moreish. The restaurant itself was romantically lit and had a lovely calming aura. the staff were attentive. Couldn't ask for more. Will definitely be back.

“DO NOT GO”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

If you enjoy good food and/or good wine, never ever go to this place. It was a depressing waste of our time and money.
The staff was trying but they were all inexperienced and not very capable.
The guinea fowl with supposedly roasted garlic mashed potatoes was so bland and terrible I wouldn't even eat it, salt didn't even provide it with any redemption. The polenta starter was really stinky, like it had gone off, and was so terrible and vinegary I couldn't even eat it. My boyfriend's scallop starter was luke warm and the sallow were small and unimpressive. The wine was obviously cheap and poorly selected. The only redemption of the night was my boyfriend's main of beef medallions and his grolsch bottled beer. There is all around zero effort going into this place and I'm sad we wasted our money on it.

Brighton, UK
“Very poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Not a good experience at all. The restaurant had no atmosphere, was cold and empty. I normally feel a little sorry for restaurants that are empty but in this case it soon became apparent why there was nobody else there.

The food was just not good enough. The starter was ok, but was just some salmon with a few leaves so hard to mess up. The main was just awful, meat bland and all covered in what looked like tar. I can't prove it but the dessert did not taste homemade and was not good.

Waiters tried hard but were inexperienced. Had to ask for salt and pepper. They had no English mustard and ran out of the wine we had ordered after one bottle.

I can't see this lasting too long. If you charge top end prices you must deliver and they were a long way from that.

Visited December 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Where do I start?... serious lack of atmosphere, cold restaurant, inexperienced staff, below average food...

We booked a table here for 6 of us and it was such a disappointment. They asked us to pre order, from reading this menu we expected great things. They give the impression of a fine dining experience with the likes of venison pate, granite's and canapes on arrival. How wrong!

According to the waiter, they had no Sauvignon Blanc, only a Sauvignon. The waiter "recommended" me a wine and when I questioned whether it was a good bottle he quite arrogantly told me that they select the wines to match their food. This "recommended" wine was disgusting to the point in which we sent it back. We had to spend £25 on a bottle to get something that was still only mediocre. And when I asked to try it first I was told you can't try unless you buy. What a joke!

My starter of pate was terrible. Too cold and with one tiny bread roll to accompany it, meaning I had to leave half the plate as I really wouldn't want to eat pate on its own. My friends' salmon was overly fishy and tasted cheap.

The mains arrived on tiny plates, almost child size plates! The portion was tiny and the quality of food was quite frankly, embarrassing. And this guy apparently has 25yrs experience as a chef? He should be embarrassed. The only thing I can think it was down to was because it was a Christmas menu?! It felt as though they were just trying to profit from us as much as possible.

The service was my biggest aggravation. I know its not the staff's fault, it's the owner's fault for not training them properly. Or employing enough of them!

The funniest moment was when the waiter asked if we enjoyed our food, we replied "no" and he mumbled "sorry about that" and ran off! Needless to say we didn't pay service and promptly left to continue our evening.

It just really saddens me when there is such a lack of passion! Brighton needs good restaurants and if you get it right, we'll return! I'm afraid Alcove, none of us will return and I certainly won't pass on any good word to all my fellow Brighton buddies!

• Visited December 2013
“Shambolic, poor value, just don't waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I am so disappointed. I had been emailing the owner regarding our booking, she was efficient, friendly and very professional so I felt confident in arranging a group night out at Alcove. It was dreadful weather, we were the only table in there to start with and the still sat us by the doors, why? There was only one other table used while we were in there so we could have been placed somewhere more convenient. The staff were very pleasant but seemed inexperienced and knew nothing when asked about the food. We had to ask for several things (condiments not provided unless requested) and they ran out of the wine we ordered, mustard etc. We were asked how our meal was before we started eating and I now know why, it was edible but only like warm and covered in thick stodgy gravy, absolutely five for a canteen but not for £36 per head. The dessert looked like it had been bought from frozen. We didn't pay service and left straight after dessert. It was such a shame as the setting is do lovely and both the Seven Dials and Sams were such great places it seems that Alcove can't meet the same standard. I hope they get it right for future clients but we won't be going back