Best Western Princes Marine Hotel
Kings Hotel(Brighton)
Topps(Brighton)
Great 4.5/5
  • Beachfront
All reviewssea viewcar parkfree parkingsea frontmagic tricksgood sizefirst served basistight squeezenight porterspacious roomcooked breakfastfull englishvisiting familyone night staytop floorbrighton centreparking space
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is the fifth time we have stayed at this hotel The location is superb There is plenty of car parking And the staff are very friendly It was a truly special experience On every Stay
I found the staff to be very Hospitable and the bar area was a very relaxed Atmosphere

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I'm writing this review whilst still checked in - I didn't fancy breakfast and I'm blocked in on the car park otherwise I would have been long-gone.
The Princes Marine was always going to have a hard act to follow as I had stayed in an excellent hotel from a rival chain the night before, but even if I'd slept in the gutter I don't see how I could have given a favourable review.
The hotel, although on the seafront, is miles from anywhere. It is exactly 2.1 miles from Brighton Pier as I found out last night when I walked there and back (I didn't have much choice since I was parked in almost as soon as I arrived). The parking to the rear of the hotel is limited and is accessible only via a very narrow alleyway. I ended up having to do a 27 point turn to get out again on discovering the car park was full (thank god for parking sensors) but I thought I was lucky then to get a prime spot right in front of the hotel reception. Not so because I’m now stuck until the chap in the Bentley (surely he could afford to stay somewhere better than this!) moves on.
As a positive for those who often complain on Tripadvisor about this kind of thing, the lift was very large for a hotel; it looks like they may have inherited it from a hospital. As a negative it is also very loud. Noise is my main issue with this hotel – the lift is very noisy (or at least it is from Room 9), there is a strange intermittent ticking noise coming from the plumbing, I can hear every footstep going past my door and my stay appears to have coincided with the world nocturnal furniture moving championships going on in the room above. Even the taps in the bathroom put on an extraordinarily loud performance in executing their duties but I accept that I may have become over sensitised to any sound by my other experiences.
I did have one particular annoyance last night when I was working on my laptop – the hotel’s free wifi simply lost its internet connection for a few hours which caused me to lose quite a lot of what I was working on. So there’s a tip for the future: always work offline and do your uploads from saved copies. Having left my laptop turned on overnight it was absolutely covered in dust this morning which is a little unusual - read into tthat what you will......
There is nothing actually wrong with this hotel but I know what I like and this just isn’t it. It serves a purpose and if all you want is somewhere to put your head down then the bed is quite comfortable.

Room Tip: stay at a Premier Inn, sleep in your car or even a park bench
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Turreteers
Jon006, Owner at Best Western Princes Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Many thanks for your recent review of the hotel.

I'm sorry to hear the negative points which you encountered and I will gather my thoughts on these points below:

1, We run our free car park on a first come first served basis, there is a large sign on entrance to the car park to recommend guests to check for parking before entering, should you enter and there is no parking there is a turning area to the east of the car park.

2, I'm sorry to hear the internet was a problem, on rare occasions our internet provider goes down and we have no control over.

3, I've checked our CCTV for the car mentioned which blocked you in, this car never got moved in the morning for blocking you so I'm a little confused by this, our reception team have reg numbers to any cars so we can act straight away should a guest block another guest in which obviously should not happen in the first place.

4, The hotel is in a nice area on Hove seafront, many guest prefer the quieter area but only 5 mins ride to the centre of Brighton, there are many great restaurant within a 5 min walk from us. You can also save up to £25 a night on parking compared to other hotels.

I would be very happy to show you the true light which many of our regular guests enjoy week in week out, should you like to try us again I'm sure you wont be disappointed and please contact me direct on 01273 207660.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan Ailion

Reviewed 20 June 2013

This hotel is a good choice if you want to avoid the sometimes overpowering bustle of Brighton yet be within striking distance and have a sea view. Unfortunately we still got caught up with a late night touring Cricket (or drinking) Team which seemed to return en-masse at 2 to 3 a.m. on each of the 2 nights we were there with inevitable noisy converstions
Surprisingly excellent food
Friendly Staff
Free parking if there on time - a bonus in Brighton

Room Tip: Noisy road if you want a sea view and sleep with window open (but generally quiet if windows closed - good double glazing) also quiet (and cheaper) at back of hotel. Get there early to take advantage of free off road parking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The good things: excellent position, right by the bus stop or a 15 min walk in to Brighton along the sea front. Friendly helpful staff. Very clean room and bathroom. Lovely sea view (we paid extra for this). Good cooked breakfast.
Not so good: We arrived after a long drive and went straight in to the car park, half way up the drive and it started narrowing alarmingly turning in to no more than an alleyway. We managed to get in to the car park with an a couple of inches to spare with the idea of turning round but its was packed, no turning circle, no room to move at all. It took us 15 mins to reverse out and it was scary (scratches and paint marks on either wall where people had grazed their cars). When we finally managed to reverse out we saw a sign that had been obscured by people leaving the hotel. The signs really should be more prominent and should tell you to book in before driving in to the car park so someone can explain. There was no room to park and the busy road outside was not the kind of place you want to leave a high value vehicle.

There was considerable noise from the next door room as the TV's are mounted on the partition wall between rooms.

The evening meal was not good - maybe we made the wrong menu choices.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they put us on the top floor so fantastic view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Jon006, Owner at Best Western Princes Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Many thanks for your recent review, I'm happy to see the mostly positive comments.

I would like to address the parking situation you encountered as there is a small area to turn at the east side of the car park which must of got overlooked. I understand the car park is tight however we often have large vehicles like land rovers which manage.

We do hope you will join us again in the future,

Regards,

Jonathan Ailion

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights while having dental treatment in Hove.
Really friendly staff. Lovely large room, with lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits.
Flat screen TV, lovely stocked bathroom.

Hotel overlooks the beach and is a 5 minute walk to the shops and restaurants. Very well kept and clean.

I would stay again.