“Authentic Turkish Food”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have eaten at Sini a number of times since it first opened. We usually start with their delicious humus, you can tell it is freshly made. For the main course, our favourites are musakka and lamb shish. On a sunny day, when we want a light meal, it's lovely to sit outside and have a selection of mezes - including lamb cop and tubule salad. Sini is a restaurant where you can rely on the quality of the food and the service is polite and efficient.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It’s 9.30pm on Wednesday night. There’s wood everywhere. There are some odd electric candles on the table in case anyone gets reckless with actual fire. It’s a borderline fishbowl atmosphere so you have to attempt to fill the space somehow by your presence. There are a couple of tables with other diners chomping away.

The waiter looks attentive, demure and as though he values his profession as much as Zero in The Grand Budapest Hotel. He is stealthy in nature and I suspect he has silencers attached to each foot which means he glides across the wooden floor like some ballroom dancer. He feels no need to point and make recommendations, to do a cheeky up-sell, to make a show and to intrude. He is there to put the wait in waiter and passively, unobtrusively serve.

My seafood casserole doesn't look like how I imagined; a sort of paella but with no rice and more tomatoes. I was thinking that I would have to tear off shrimp faces and scoop out the mussels in pescatarian fervor. Looking at the plate I had that strange sensation where I was transported back to my childhood and my mum was chopping up my spaghetti into mouth sized chucks to avoid getting spaghetti in my hair, on the table or on the ceiling. It was tasty and wholesome, don’t get me wrong, but there was a distinct lack of chewing going on, on my part.

My fella had the Sini Special which sounded like a positive meat feast. Upon arrival, there was no tray or the large portion the Turkish word ‘sini’ implies. It looked more like a little starter and the meat was about the size of large bits of halloumi – maybe five or six pieces. Where were the meatballs?

I was still half way through my meal while my fella polished off the last bit of squishy looking anemic pitta, which I think was more indicative of the portion size than my ability to passionately talk about the state of Brazil in the run up to the World Cup.

Three morsels of baklava, followed by two shots of the red stuff and a couple of squares of Turkish Delight and we were fed, watered and that annoying couple who were the last to leave.
So to summarise, I wasn't entirely sure what to make of this place. I couldn’t figure out what its heart and soul was. I reckon a Turkish belly dancer wouldn’t go amiss to liven it up!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

First visit with my partner on a early Sunday evening, service was good we went for the meze which was very authentic and all tasted lovely shame the portions where small. Decor very pleasant a very enjoyable evening and would defiantly go back.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We use groupon all the time for restaurants in manchester where we live so when I saw this and we were visiting brighton I booked it looked like you were to be given a twelve course banquet of dishes! What arrived was a disappointment to say the least it was 6 small dishes fashioned from popppadums with dips etc in and 6 each tiny hot items I was disappointed the price we paid never mind what it was supposed to be worth! The food was ok the bloke was friendly I felt sorry that I couldn't be kinder but like a previous reviewer I fail to see the original value of this deal :(

1  Thank Maxine C
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Although it was very quiet on a Tuesday evening, the food was spectacularly tasty! I had the hummus, which is ethereal! Portion size was huge, would easily feed two. Lamb shish was very tasty too, and service and presentation were both excellent :)
Complimentary olives and Turkish delight sealed the deal!