“Really lovely place”

The Kings Arms - Dusthole
Ranked #23 of 36 Shepton Mallet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Beer, food and staff all very pleasant. Butcombe's Ale (Rare Breed) in perfect condition and a bit too more-ish. The Silverside and Stilton pie and Cajun Chicken were extremely tasty and not for the feeble appetited. All in all an experience I can't wait to repeat, deciding which pie to eat will be the problem.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Kings Arms - Dusthole

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Wow that's what I first thought when we arrived here I said to my husband who had booked this as a surprise I'm gonna love it here ! We were greeted by a very nice young man very polite who showed us to our log cabin which was lovely very clean and was lovely and warm and cosy !! We met the owner tony and his fab dog Jake who's adorable we dined there both nights can defo recommend the steak reasonably priced !! But I'm sure what ever u choose especially the homemade pies you would not be disappointed !!!
It is a 15th century inn you do feel totally relaxed there especially sitting next to the roaring log fire . What more to say other than yes we shall return again loved the place enjoyed hearing all the history of The DUSTHOLE and the area from tony the owner ! Great atmosphere sure would recommend staying here !!!!!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank josiemendit
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Decided to try another hotel in Shepton for this most recent visit. Looking at the rooms we thought a cabin in the courtyard would make for a lovely, luxury stay; it would have had it been finished and, once the work is completed, inside and out, it will be well worth the £95 for the room. Currently it seemed a little over priced. That said, we had the most excellent breakfasts and the carvery lunch for the family was of the highest quality and very reasonably priced.
We would probably go there again but would feel it necessary to negotiate a price if work is not completed by then.

Room Tip: The cabins in the courtyard are lovely but not really worth the cost. Possibly try to negotiate. T...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angharad C
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Moving in the area so took friends to show them our house and also took opportunity to try out a local pub!
If you like oldie world, log fires, timber beams and old world charm then this place is for you.
Its not as cheap as some of the other nearby pubs but the charm more than makes up for it.
The bar staff were very friendly
The sunday lunch carvery is fantastic especially the roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese both my favorites.
Very good cider on draft to
Only mystery is why was it quite!
It was good enough that next time we will take my mother there!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick R
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Arrived late having booked online and was greeted frostily by ? Landlord who handed me straight over to a very friendly girl who seemed to be doing everything! Room was nice and bed comfortable but not enough hot water to fill one bath ( and this was a room for four!)which is really annoying! And a half done shower waiting to be finished. Realised too late there was no milk for my tea either.Decided to have a late pudding which the barmaid obligingly went off to do for me ( alone again) and it was lovely. In the morning I came down for breakfast and waited alone for five minutes until my polite coughing brought the chef (grumpy from the previous night) out from the kitchen where he proceeded to ignore me and help himself to coffee whilst I queued in silence behind him (SO awkward!) He then asked if I wanted breakfast begrudgingly. Poached eggs were perfect but sat on thin white mothers pride toasted to within an inch of its life, nothing else was offered and I checked out with a very harassed (wife?) Who only appeared halfway through breakfast to muttered abuse from the chef... I can't think the positive reviews about the friendly chef and great breakfast stayed in the same place!!So sad...

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Leanbean_13
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I great fire place and over mantel dominates the main bar. The food choice was varied and quite tasty.

There was a good choice of ales in theory. Only one was available each of the two nights, one ran out one night, the other the second. They were both nice though so all good.

The building is interesting a quirky, a nice change from the way pubs are going these days.

Happily go back and heartily recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2013

If you like Ikea or conglomerate hotels don't go there but if you enjoy old fashioned hospitatlity with a lot of local character this is the place for you. Introduced to The Dusthole by friends we will definately return and recommend. The rooms are full of character and a few niggles can be put down to the age of the estabishment. The landlord Tony adds to the character, interesting,helpful, great breakfast chef with a real enthusiasm for his business and his dog Jake a real find.There are signs of tasteful modernisation while maintaining the character making it a year round location.

Room Tip: All rooms different but quiet, signs of tasteful modernisation in progress.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
#11 of 36 in Shepton Mallet
Longbridge House
Longbridge House
#5 of 36 in Shepton Mallet

Been to The Kings Arms - Dusthole? Share your experiences!