“Good - and Bad”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Charming Hotel - very quirky.
Had a weekend break and overall enjoyed it. - but some real issues....
Room really comfy but much groaning was heard about no dressing table or mirror even!!!
Spa was lovely. Very atmospheric albeit small, but never crowded and well kept
Food good but service in Restaurant shocking. Staff willing and nice but clearly not enough of them. Waited 35 minutes for our order to be taken, 40 minutes for bread to be offered and was well over an hour before starters appeared - and we were not alone.....
No real apology just lots of empty servitude my management!!
Overworked waiting staff did their best.
Overall a lovely place but restaurant experience just not up to scratch and not worth the money...

1  Thank MickDWinchesterUK
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear MickDWinchesterUK,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay.I was sorry to see that you did not recieve
the level of service that we aim to achieve.I have passed you feedback onto the team
and we will be looking into the issues stated.
I am very grateful for all feedback,

There are newer reviews for Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Cannot believe I have lived in somerset 20 years and never heard of this fabulous place! Came here with my mum on the "heavenly bliss" package. The room was lovely and cosy, spa amazing, staff absolutely fantastic and the food was the best food I have ever had. I can't recommend this place enough as a restaurant, hotel and spa. We had two treatments each (a massage and facial) and came away feeling so relaxed and pampered. Both dinner and breakfast were out of this world. Can't wait to visit again!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear LizzT,

Thank you so much for awarding us 5 stars.
I was delighted to see that you and your Mother had such a lovely time.
I do hope that now that you have found us we will see alot more of you.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very average stay. Nothing stand out, either positive nor negative.
My advice would be to book spa treatments as soon as you make you booking, in fact, i would check that they have some spa appointments available before you make you're booking. I attempted to book treatments 7 weeks before my visit, which i believe to be sufficient, if not a generous amount of time, but was told that there wasn't any appointments available for the whole 3 days we were there, quite unacceptable! i did however contact the manager of the hotel, who immediately resolved my issue by putting me in contact with the spa manager who arranged a couple of treatments for me. The spa is very small, no swimming pool, but a hydrotherapy pool which is disappointing, and very few seats around the pool to relax.
The food is very good, we ate here the entire weekend. I would warn though, that the dinner service is incredibly slow. The first eve, it took 3 hours for a 2 course meal. The second eve, despite booking our table, we waited an hour and 15 minutes to be seated! By the end of our main meal the dining staff were undressing the tables around us getting ready to head home, we felt very rushed through our desert, the silly thing is, it was their fault our meal was running so late!
All in all, i wouldn't return, and I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Luxuryforlife,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that we managed to get you some Spa treatments as we were exceptionally busy over that period.
I appreciate all feedback and I have passed your comments on to the team.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our stay here was lovely, the hotel is charming along with the staff who were all very accommodating. We were in a room with a mezzanine bathroom which was delightful, our room also opened out onto the courtyard spa area. We both had an excellent night's sleep in a supremely comfortable bed.

The spa was very dinky and with only 6 of us using it at the time it felt like a private spa. I had a facial (with Sophie) and it was fabulous.

The restaurant, we feel, needs some attention with regard to atmosphere/lighting and quality of food. Whilst the food was 'OK' it wasn't great and somewhat let the hotel down, which may make us think twice about returning.

The hotel itself has a faded grandeur style which is now edging towards more shabby than chic! To carry off this sort of look in a hotel the decoration and attention to detail need to be slightly sharper, but not too much as it does have a very comfortable feel.

We did have a lovely stay and will watch with interest on TA to see if there is any improvement in the restaurant.

Dear Travelcritic30,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very grateful for
your feedback which I will share with the team,

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 November 2013

It's a wonderful place and our room was fantastic. Crystal was great, but the other staff in the main hotel, including reception were surly and almost rude. The spa was lovely and the staff there were great. Really enjoyed the spa experience. Breakfast was lovely, but the evening meal very disappointing, and everything ( starters, main course and puddings) were all sweet tasting and the food was Luke warm at best. Such a shame, a beautiful building, lovely rooms, but spoilt by the average food and with the exception of a few, unhelpful staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise2104

Dear Denise2014,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your Spa expeience, I am sorry that dinner did not meet with your expectations,
Customer feedback is very important to us and I will pass your comments on to my team,

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Lovely place. Very relaxing with wonderful decor and good spa facilities. A place to unwind. This time we thought we'd try the restaurant but it was disappointing. Cooking lacked flair and was overpriced. Soup was lukewarm and salmon overlooked. My partridge dish lacked balance.
By contrast the breakfast buffet is amazing. Great selection and a wonderful environment. We won't eat here in the evening again but will definitely return to the hotel as there's nowhere else like it to just relax.

1  Thank stbernardus

Dear Stbernardus,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am glad that you found your stay relaxing .I am grateful for your feedback and I
will share your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Charlton House,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We frequently make trips to Somerset and always wanted to stay here, so eventually a good deal came up. We had the standard room which was far better than expected and one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in (if you like soft beds). Loved the decor slightly Bohemian with wooden floors, rugs and lovely rich colours very relaxing. It would have been a nice touch to have some candles and the fire lit as it was a cold, wet and windy night just to complete the ambience.

We tried out spa including the outside hot tub despite low temperature and raining, really enjoyed the experience, nice plunge pool, steam room sauna etc.

We decided to have the evening meal and we were told either we could eat at 7 pm or 9.15 so we opted for latter and went out for a drink. I have to say even though we are foodies thought the food was over complicated and didn't quite work the Venison was dry and my salmon lacked sauce and the potatoes were very undercooked. However totally different story with breakfast the eggs florentine was delicious, and my husband's full English was cooked perfectly.

The check out of 11 am meant we could used the spa again in the morning before breakfast so by the time we left we felt as if we had been on a weekend break rather than one night.

We have already booked to return in January, however we may eat out in the evening or opt for the Bar Menu, overall had a lovely stay and felt so relaxed the staff were helpful and friendly just if could get the evening meal right it would be near perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!