“100% lovely! Perfect romantic night away”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Bath, United Kingdom
“100% lovely! Perfect romantic night away”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The spa was really lovely - lots included (pool with jacuzzi sections, adjoining outside pool, outside covered jacuzzi, experience showers, ice, sauna and steam room) sumptuous décor and dim lighting make it rather romantic. NOTE: feel free to go down to the spa in your dresing gown and slippers (included with your room) as we weren't sure but it's more than ok. Staff were very nice and attentive. We only ate room service but the food was good (fish & chips and club sandwich). We didn't get charged for checking out 30 mins late. The bathrobes were so soft! The beds were really comfy and we loved the décor in the rooms. The roll top bath was lovely, and the underfloor heating was a nice touch. Huge shower as well as bath, and double sinks. Bathroom and bedroom both had dimmer lights were you could choose settings for your lights. Grounds looked nice, although it was raining so we didn't get to experience them. Free wifi too. Only one small thing - the breakfast arrived to our room later than they said, and this made us late for checkout, however we were half an hour late and didn't get charged and they also didn't charge us the £5 fee for bringing us our breakfast. The rooms were pretty hot and we couldn't work out how to turn down the heating but apart from that it was great!

Room Tip: We went with the superior deluxe which was really romantic and sumptuous
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maddy T
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear MaddyT,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.I am glad you enjoyed your time in the Spa.
I hope that you will come and visit us when the weather improves so you will be able to explore our grounds,

Sakis Dinas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We absolutely love this 'hotel'. We come every year, normally in the summer as a little treat away.

On every occasion the staff have been top class, a real asset to the company. We normally stay for 1 / 2 nights and the rooms are gorgeous and clean!

The spa is very relaxing and I would definitely recommend the full body massage. The last time I was here I was 12 weeks pregnant so the lady gave me a gorgeous head massage which made me totally relaxed.

Again, the restaurant is fantastic. The staff have a vast knowledge of the menu which helps when trying to decide on a dish!

I would also highly recommend getting an afternoon tea and sitting on the lounge chairs on the lawn! Perfect.

I couldn’t fault this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Melissa 358,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that you will come and visit us again soon.
I am sure you will welcome a relaxing break after the baby is born !

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We regularly meet up with family for birthdays and Christmas. I find this hotel very relaxing and excellent food The atmosphere is great and menu excellent. The service is always very good. Not too attentive but just right. The lounge area is relaxing for a drink before lunch or afterwards. I find it a bit strange with spa guests arriving dressed in robes.

Stayed December 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Laura P,

Thank you for awarding us five stars, I was so glad to see that you and your family enjoyed your Christmas celebration with us.

We look forward to welcomong you back to Charlton House very soon,

somerset, united kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Booked an overnight stay for New Year's Eve and was very impressed, included champagne and canapés to begin with then a 3 course meal, the food was delicious, followed by a disco, was a lot busier than I thought it would be and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
We stayed in Folley room which was big and lovely, made use of the spa to, and it wasn't too expensive, will definatly look at again for next year.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cls 205,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your New Years Eve with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Newbury, Berkshire, England
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my Mum for an overnight spa break and had a lovely time. The reception welcome was good and they showed us around before taking us to our room. We had number 24 and it was lovely to walk into a room that had some character which so many hotels lack now. The spa area was relaxing and had everything you'd expect. Service to get towels was a little slow, as was clearing up around of towels people had left in rest areas. We had a lovely dinner with an aperitif in the comfortable bar area beforehand. The food was very good, well presented. I can understand comments regarding slow service, we did have to catch their eye a couple of times, I think they've taken on the idea of not rushing you and letting you dine at a leisurely pace a little too far at times. The breakfast was good, cold buffet to help yourself to and then you ordered from a cooked menu. Overall a great stay and I would definitely revisit as would Mum.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear craze e emz,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I was so glad that you and your Mother enjoyed your stay with us,I hope that you will come back and visit us again soon,

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night with a spa break midweek deal. The hotel is tastefully decorated, peaceful and relaxing. Was able to use the spa and mini gym on both days, which was lovely. The spa was on the small side, but we enjoyed the outdoor Jacuzzi and saunas. The food was wonderful, both dinner and breakfast. Staff were attentive. Enjoyed using the tennis court as well - we borrowed rackets and balls from reception. I'd come again!

• Stayed January 2014
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We visited on the 2nd of Jan for an over night spa break. On arrival we were upgraded to a never room which was nice. The room we were given was 21 (has a garden leading straight into the spa) the spa area and hydro pool were very nice and everything was clean. The only disappointment was the evening meal. The service was nearly not existent and I had to keep waving at the waiter to get any service. There was a good 15 minute wait between courses and are plates were. Only cleared after I asked for them to be cleared a good 10 minutes after we had finished eating. They then cleared the plates and then I had to wave again to ask if we could see the dessert menu. The restaurant was nearly empty (only 6 tables in use) however at breakfast the following morning the service was extremely good (different waiting team)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear L200SHG,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Customer satisfaction is very important to us and I have passed your comments back to the team.

I do hope that you will come and visit us soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepton Mallet
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Apsley House Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!