“Great little winter get away”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
“Great little winter get away”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Great little break with the Wife. Free upgrade to room 22 nice and spacious. Great tasting dinner, service was polite and relaxed just what you want. Spa is small but nicely set up and never felt full. Very difficult to book treatments while staying so book early to avoid disappointment. All in all great time had by both book up and you will enjoy.

• Stayed January 2014
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Sifrombrum,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.

I was pleased to see that you found the service "relaxed and polite" this is the atmosphere we
aim to create at Charlton House .I sincerley hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during January with my boyfriend. The outside of the hotel when you first arrive is stunning, really impressive.

We did not arrive till 9.30pm and so checking in was very quick and we were shown to our room which was on the top floor. There were no lifts, however the receptionist did offer to take my bag but not my partners. No bell boys here….

Our room was “Crow’s Nest” which was a lovely room. Really good side, very clean, very comfy bed and plenty of pillows/covers etc. The bathroom was quaint, again very clean. The only thing I would fault is there there are no plugs by the mirrors (difficult for hair drying), and the lighting was quite dark in the bedroom even in daylight (just 1 window).

Breakfast on the first morning – We went down to the restaurant and a waitress was in there. I do not know her name but first impressions she made us feel quite uncomfortable. She was quite rude. She had dark hair in a ponytail and was not English. I said good morning to her, and she ignored me. Not very welcoming. She asked us our room number and I said the room name (all the rooms we saw had names not numbers), and she said “urm, oh I find out” and walked off. We ordered toast (which I found strange came out before breakfast….surely it should come with the cooked breakfast??). Anyway the cold stuff – fruit/cereals etc are buffet service and then you can order off a menu for hot breakfasts. This first morning myself and my partner both had full English with scrambled egg. I have to say it was just okay. I have eaten at very many hotels from top of the range to not great and this was very low standard for a “nice hotel”. The sausage was bland and very small, clearly not a locally sourced farm sausage, bacon very fatty, scrambled egg very watery, and lots of oil on my plate. I didn’t really enjoy.

Later we spent time in the spa which was included in our package. The changing rooms are upstairs away from the spa, and are very small. The towels provided are tiny. The spa is okay. The seats around the spa are not comfy to lie on for a long time. The pool and Jacuzzi are nice as are the steam rooms and sauna. We were there on a Saturday so it was rather busy in the small spa. I had a 55 minute facial which was nice, but she finished after 40 minutes….and my partner had a Swedish massage which was 50 minutes not the agreed 55. He enjoyed the massage.

We had afternoon tea included in our package. We sat down in the lounge which was empty, no one else having afternoon tea, so there was no atmosphere. Each part came out slowly rather than all together. Also we were given no plates, so cutting up scones and eating cakes etc from napkins on our laps wasn’t ideal. The sandwiches/cakes served were all okay, but perhaps more sandwiches and less cakes would be better.

We had dinner in the restaurant that evening. There appeared to be a real mix of waiting staff, never the same waiter/waitress at our table like most restaurants. I think we had 4 different waiting staff. The food was nice, small portions but if you have 3 courses you do feel very full, it’s enough food. They also give you a lot of bread beforehand so you won’t feel hungry afterwards. Service was fine, much politer than the girl who had been there at breakfast.

Breakfast on our final day had the same waitress. She again was very cold and unwelcoming, she still didn’t seem to speak great English and did not understand some things we said. I opted for the pancakes this time which were lovely, my partner had the vegetarian breakfast which he enjoyed. Overall breakfast on this morning was better then the day before.

All in all we had a lovely relaxing stay, I would go back but perhaps not go for a package that includes afternoon tea and dinner.

I do think the waiting staff need more training, little things such as a plate for afternoon tea, or asking us how we enjoyed the food etc. And the waitress who cannot speak good English…this is an English country hotel, most off-putting to guests to have someone rude like this when you go down to breakfast. She definitely needs some customer service training, or perhaps basic English lessons. The spa staff were all friendly and polite, as were the reception staff. So I have to agree with other reviews that the kitchen/waiting staff are what let this hotel down.

I notice management comment on each review and say they will forward comments on, but reading back through reviews nothing seems to have changed, so you do wonder if management actually take these reviews on board or whether they’re happy being “just okay” rather than making things better to be an amazing hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ladyuk85,

Thank you very much for posting a detailed review after your recent stay with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with all your comments as guest feedback is undoubtedly our best means of ensuring that our standards are maintained to the highest possible levels.

I understand that overall you had a good visit and would consider returning. We will be delighted to welcome you back.

I am sorry that you found the breakfast waitress’s manner rude and you felt management had done nothing to rectify this. I have been unable to find any other review that mentions our staff is rude, although we did have some difficulties in the latter part of last year we are now confident that most have now been revolved. I believe that the level of English of the waitress in question is appropriate as we have had no other comments about her ability to communicate although I do apologise if her demeanour came across as being discourteous as this was certainly not her intention.

We always respect any feedback we receive, either from Tripadvisor or any other source, although the number of reviews we receive from Tripadvisor are very small in comparison to those we receive directly from guests at the hotel. We do receive a vast amount of excellent feedback and compliments each week about both our restaurant and our staff.

I very much hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

With kind regards.

Sakis Dinas
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My Grandma and I share a birthday so I decided to treat her to a spa day here despite the mixed reviews. I thought the price was good for both of us to have a massage and use of the spa facilities. We were in awe from the start at how beautiful the house and grounds are.

The spa was so relaxing! It was not too busy either which was good. The staff were really friendly and helpful and all wished us a happy birthday.

The facilities were clean and suitable, the only other thing I could have done with was another towel as mine got a bit damp after a while. I was especially impressed with the machine that dries your swimming costume as I have never seen one before.

We went for a gorgeous lunch at the restaurant, we didn't even have to pre book which was good. The staff were smiley and knowledgeable and noticed it was our birthday so wrote 'Happy Birthday' in chocolate on our puddings on a massive platter, they looked amazing! That really added a special touch for us and my Grandma was so impressed. I would like to especially thank the young girl who served us, with glasses and blondish hair in a ponytail, her name may have begun with a "C" but I'm not 100% sure!

After lunch we went back to the spa which the staff didn't seem to mind. We had a fantastic day and it was a lovely way for my Grandma and I to share our birthday together. Thank you Charlton House and Spa!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RannonKaya
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear RannonKaya,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars. I was delighgted to see that you and your Grandma enjoyed your Spa Day and that we could help you both celebrate your birthdays.
I have passed your comments on to the team and they were delighted.
I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Spa break here was not that great, whole place needs decorating in my opinion - current decor shabby and very masculine. Restaurant was very slow, staff seemed poorly trained although food was acceptable. Spa area very busy at times but on the whole relaxing, treatments good I had the same therapist 3 times she was excellent I would return but not until a refurbishment has taken place.

Stayed January 2014
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Debsville,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I was glad to see that you enjoyed your treatments in the Spa.
I am sorry that you did not recieve the level of service that we aim too achieve in the restaurant.
We have an ongoing refurbishment plan in the Hotel but we do aim to keep the traditional decor which is inkeeping with the house .

I do hope you will come and visit us again soon,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Girls weekend away, got a great deal inc. dinner, room & spa treatment.
The Hotel & Spa staff are wonderful, real warm welcome and reception team show you all the way to your room and explain where everything is - we stayed in room 16 'tudor animals' a large twin room in the out houses, short outside walk to get back into main hotel or spa but really didn't bother us, takes seconds and if you don't fancy stepping outside before breakfast it's only £5 for tray service.
The spa is lovely - choice of 2 saunas & a steam room, indoor pool with jacuzzi functions and outdoor hot tub as well as treatment rooms and nail bar. Relatively small but even on a busy saturday we didn't feel too cramped.
We had a massage & a facial as part of an upgraded package - excellent staff and really relaxing.
The dinner was a bit disappointing, as others have mentioned the service is slow and I wasn't that impressed with the food ... none of the 4 waiting staff we saw on duty ever asked how anything was and the starters were lukewarm at best. Didn't complain as part of the package we weren't expecting top notch but weren't impressed either.
Equally slow bar service the following morning - waited 30mins to be offered a drink before we flagged someone down.
Overall would highly recommend - just spend all your time in the spa!

Room Tip: 16 'tudor animals' is really spacious and has lovely old world charm (is in a separate build...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jude291,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your girls break and that you found your time in the Spa and treatments "excellent".
I am sorry that you did not receive the level of service we aim to achieve in the restaurant,I have passed your feedback on to the team .
I hope you will come and visit us again soon,

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The spa was really lovely - lots included (pool with jacuzzi sections, adjoining outside pool, outside covered jacuzzi, experience showers, ice, sauna and steam room) sumptuous décor and dim lighting make it rather romantic. NOTE: feel free to go down to the spa in your dresing gown and slippers (included with your room) as we weren't sure but it's more than ok. Staff were very nice and attentive. We only ate room service but the food was good (fish & chips and club sandwich). We didn't get charged for checking out 30 mins late. The bathrobes were so soft! The beds were really comfy and we loved the décor in the rooms. The roll top bath was lovely, and the underfloor heating was a nice touch. Huge shower as well as bath, and double sinks. Bathroom and bedroom both had dimmer lights were you could choose settings for your lights. Grounds looked nice, although it was raining so we didn't get to experience them. Free wifi too. Only one small thing - the breakfast arrived to our room later than they said, and this made us late for checkout, however we were half an hour late and didn't get charged and they also didn't charge us the £5 fee for bringing us our breakfast. The rooms were pretty hot and we couldn't work out how to turn down the heating but apart from that it was great!

Room Tip: We went with the superior deluxe which was really romantic and sumptuous
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maddy T
Dear MaddyT,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.I am glad you enjoyed your time in the Spa.
I hope that you will come and visit us when the weather improves so you will be able to explore our grounds,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We absolutely love this 'hotel'. We come every year, normally in the summer as a little treat away.

On every occasion the staff have been top class, a real asset to the company. We normally stay for 1 / 2 nights and the rooms are gorgeous and clean!

The spa is very relaxing and I would definitely recommend the full body massage. The last time I was here I was 12 weeks pregnant so the lady gave me a gorgeous head massage which made me totally relaxed.

Again, the restaurant is fantastic. The staff have a vast knowledge of the menu which helps when trying to decide on a dish!

I would also highly recommend getting an afternoon tea and sitting on the lounge chairs on the lawn! Perfect.

I couldn’t fault this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Melissa 358,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that you will come and visit us again soon.
I am sure you will welcome a relaxing break after the baby is born !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepton Mallet
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Apsley House Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!