“Charming place to meet friends”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Devon
“Charming place to meet friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We visited here with friends who live near by. This lovely old building in a pleasant location with many chairs and sofas to sit, chat and eat with friends. We never stayed the night just ate and drank.
The service here was very good with a good choice of food , The food was very nice but also rather pricey, probably as its a spa. Loads of residence wandering around in white dressing gowns. I felt they should have had a more private area to sit and eat,rather than the public area we were sat. Will no doubt meet here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear ChristopherDDevon,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the spa robes but as we are a Spa Hotel our guests are free to wander around in their robes,we find this creates a more relaxed atmosphere.
I was glad to see that you enjoyed your time with us and I sincerely hope that you will
come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here from a Thursday night to a Sunday lunchtime - 2 nights as part of a wedding booking, then an extra night on our own.
The hotel is great, perfect for country weddings as you can stay at the hotel for a reduced rate if the whole hotel is booked out.
Loved the spa, what a relaxing way to start the festivities, sitting in a hot tub with the bride. Might I suggest turning on the Steam room a good hour or two before the spa opens, as it remained cool and not steamy until about 11am on each morning.
Foodwise - breakfast seemed a struggle for the staff, as if a full dining rom was too much to cope with. Each morning we waited a long time for our breakfasts, then they all arrived at different times. However, the Kedgeree was amongst the best i've had, and the Eggs Benedict was great too. The food delivery issues extended to lunch as well, as we waited almost an hour between ordering and receiving a steak sandwich and some chips in a far from busy lounge. However, as above, when these arrived they were excellent.
The night of the wedding, the bar became very very crowded, with long waits even after the bar tab had ended. The drinks are not cheap, maybe more London prices, which is ok except I'd expect more than a half full G&T with tonic being poured from a big plastic bottle, for £8.
In conclusion, we had a lovely relaxing break, lots of time in the spa and the huge bath in the very luxurious room. I would probably go back, but without the wedding-party discount it is outside my price range.
We had a great weekend, it is a good hotel, but there are several small things which could elevate this hotel to outstanding.

Room Tip: 1) Try and get a room with an outside door opening onto the hot tub. 3) Don't be scared to go...
1 Thank legz_eleven
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Legz_eleven,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

I was glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay .

Exclusive use weddings are very popular as it does give your very own "Country House"
for the weekend. We have had alot of positive feedback from the other wedding guests and while I do appreciate you frustration with the breakfast service I am sure you will understand that when sixty people come down for breakfast at the same time it does put a strain on the kitchen and staff ,however I have taken your comments onboard and we will be reviewing our breakfast service for exclusive use so that we can make it flow better in the future.

Customer satisfaction is very important to us and I appreciate your feedback.
Should you wish to visit us again may I recommend our "Spa Break "packages which are exceptional value sarting at £199.00 for two people which includes accomodation,a two course dinner and a spa treatment each,

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Kind Regards

Winchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed overnight on a spa-break; the hotel is very attractive and in a pleasant location, service from reception staff was excellent. Our room was well appointed and reasonably spacious but could do with a refresh in things such as the TV / entertainment system. The music played all day in the hall seeped into the room which was slightly distracting.

The spa is small but never felt crowded and the staff were very friendly, the facilities all worked well and very clean, fitness room is basic but functional.

The restaurant is the only real let-down to the establishment - the food quality could not be faulted but we [and I suspect rather a lot of the guests] would have preferred a decent high-end bar menu rather than the very high-pitched menu. The biggest issue was the service, this varied hugely between the three staff on duty - the head waiter was very good, one assistant adequate and the other seemed to have only started yesterday and didn't even know how to use the till when we ordered a drink. I asked on the off-chance that there was gluten-free bread available, after some struggle to be understood she headed off but just completely ignored the question on her return - it was always speculative but an answer would have been nice, especially as on the way out I noticed a framed article from the Evening Standard [admittedly from 2007] about how great they were at catering for food allergies, including coeliac!

Overall would be happy to return but restaurant service requires attention.

Dear AndyA,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I was glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.
I am very sorry that your restaurant experience was not of the standard
we would aim to deliver.Customer service is very important to us and I will pass
your feedback on to the restaurant team,
I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were surprised having spent over £360 that they could not give us a bathrobe for our spa treatments! the actual spa treatments were lovely and the deluxe room was very nice. the spa area was very small for a spa hotel, the pool wasn't big enough to have a proper swim. I was glad I'd gone there with a friend rather than my husband as although the dinner was delicious and beautifully presented he would have been hungry at the end of the meal. We had hoped that the champagne we pre ordered would have been delivered to the room, but they only realised that they hadn't delivered the champagne following the breakfast the following morning when they asked if we would like it at 10 am in the morning. Overall, we had relaxing time but it was let down by poor organisation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for a one night spa break during February half term. The experience was everything we could have hoped for. We can never usually find anywhere quiet as we have to go away during school holidays. But with just the 28 rooms at Charlton House, you get just the right balance of plenty of places to find your own quiet corner but another guests around to ensure there was a buzz around the place. Spa and treatments were really pleasant. We stayed in Sharpham, nothing opulent but really cosy and nice view across the grounds. We had no qualms at all about the food and service. Just the right amount, great quality and waiting staff always on hand and attentive without being overbearing. Our holiday policy is never go back to the same place but this place has us tempted to break the rule.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear ChrisC,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.
Customer Service is very important to us at so I
was very pleased to see that you had such an "idyllic " Spa Break,

I am glad that you are considering breaking your no return policy
as we would be delighted to welcome you back to Charlton House,

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Went for a night away with the girlfriend on valentines day and it couldn't of been better, just wished we'd stayed for 2 nights!

The spa was amazing and despite being small, far from busy! The rooms were great as was the food. Only thing I would point out, we went to the local area for lunch - wouldn't bother the local town is a ghost town!

Dear 428 Ben,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.
I was glad to see that you and your girlfriend had such a lovely stay
with us and I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

First impressions of this place are really positive - I received a warm friendly welcome at reception (every member of staff I spoke to was delightful) and after a swift check in was shown to my room.

At first glace it was a spectacular room with a very large bathroom.

Look beneath the surface though and all isn't quite so rosy. The lighting in the room is controlled by control panels dotted around the room, I particular liked the 'night' mode which turned a few lights on at a low level for finding your way to the bathroom. The control panels near the bed had buttons to control the bedside lights but these buttons did nothing as the bedside lights were just plugged into a normal plug socket and not the specific lighting socket. It would only take 5 minutes at most to put the correct plug on the lamp so I don't get why it wasn't done.

In the ceiling near to the door out onto the patio I noticed a cut out which appeared to house a projector screen. To the right of the patio door there was a switch which did nothing, I thought it might have been a switch to lower the projector screen or perhaps a patio light. No idea though as it didn't work.

In a cubby hole next to the door was a bunch of electronics with labels that mentioned a projector and ceiling speakers so it seems my guess about the projector screen was right. I couldn't see a projector anywhere though and the interior of the cubby hole was extremely dusty.

The bathroom was really nice, a great size and well appointed with 2 big shower heads and a big metal bath. It wasn't without fault though, with just 1 of the shower heads running at full power the shower enclosure quickly filled up with water and had I not turned the water down very low the bathroom would have flooded. The toiletries smelt nice but the bottles were small and made of very rigid plastic so it was almost impossible to get anything out of them. I gave up and used the toiletries that I had brought with me.

A gripe I have with most hotels is a lack of plug sockets near the desk. This place was no exception. There was a double socket which already had a lamp and fridge plugged in so I had to unplug them both to be able to charge my laptop and mobile phone. Internet access was very, very good.

The TV and DVD player were hidden behind a wooden door and it was a bit disappointing to find a dirt cheap Tesco own brand DVD player. The cupboard the TV and DVD player were house in was quite shallow so the DVD player moved and unplugged itself from the TV every time the door was closed.

My room was hot, incredibly hot. I eventually found the control for one of the radiators which helped but I ended up having to leave the patio door ajar during the night.

Breakfast was good, the food was really good quality but I found the portion quite meagre.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Apsley House Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!