“Perfect spa break”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
“Perfect spa break”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Came with my Mum for an overnight spa break. Staff were incredibly helpful - couldn't have done more to help; food was surprisingly good; rooms were elegant and comfortable; spa was lovely. Overall a really relaxing, fabulous place to spend a few days. Highly recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear IsobelLondon,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.
I was delighted to see that had such a relaxing break.
I have passed you comments on to the chef and he was very
pleased that you enjoyed your food so much.

I hope you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
LONDON
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here twice recently, once before and once after the Easter break as we found it a great stopping point to break up our journey from London to Cornwall.

Hotel itself is very clean, decorated beautifully and the grounds very well maintained and looked after. We stayed in the Garden Lodge and then the Orchard View. Both rooms were faultless. The hotel was very accommodating as we were staying with our 16mth daughter. Dominee in particular was of huge assistance in arranging flowers/birthday cake/treatments for my partner upon arrival, she is a credit to the hotel ( as was Alex on reception) and was extremely helpful in arranging everything for me.

The staff are all very friendly, however Charlton House is run on minimum staff numbers and at times this showed. Restaurant served great food and had great children's meals. We had a small issue in the time waiting for our lunch however this was dealt with by Dominee very swiftly and professionally.

Would recommend (particularly if you have young children) and will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Judithchalmers09,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed both of your visits and we certainly look forward
to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.
All the staff at Charlton House send you our best wishes for you new arrival ,

Sakis Dinas
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My boyfriend and I were on a "Babymoon" tour, and this was the hotel which we were most unsure of what to expect.

We were so pleased with what we found here. We received a warm welcome from Beni who gave us a tour of the ground floor, including spa, and personally took us to our room. All of the bedrooms have their own individual identities and names, which we thought was a lovely touch.

We stayed in the Secret Garden room, which was at the end of a corridor and had it's own small balcony overlooking the gardens. The room has been decorated in an eclectic cottage style, with the most amazing packing case desk/fridge and beautiful stripped roof beams. The room was quiet and comfortable, and I would gladly have spent longer here.

We sampled the spa area (unfortunately I didn't have time for a treatment, which would have been a treat), and the pool with outside area, and large Jacuzzi, are both very relaxing. There is also a small area with steam rooms and massaging showers. I have stayed at several spas previously and this was as good as any I have seen.

Having seen the impressively decorated lower floor of the hotel, and liking the look of the décor, being at once luxurious but relaxed, and exactly what we wanted from this holiday; we decided to eat in the restaurant rather than going outside the grounds for dinner.

We weren't disappointed. The menu was competitively priced and each course was well thought out and impressively prepared. The room itself is a large conservatory overlooking the gardens and has been fitted in such a way that it is light and airy in the daytime, and intimate and cosy in the evening. We felt comfortable and well looked after. My boyfriend received the wrong dessert, but this was swiftly rectified by the efficient and friendly waiting staff. The drinks were not expensive, considering that this is a luxurious spa hotel.

On awaking, we took advantage of the spa area again, which was a refreshing start, followed by another impressive meal in the conservatory, this time a breakfast with a lot of choice, local produce and the same high standard of service.

We had only one more night away after this, and I wish that we had known Charlton House was so good, as we may well have stayed another night rather than moving on. Of the five nights we spent across Devon and Somerset this Easter, this was by far our favourite and we would come back in a heartbeat.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break, there were a couple of families with younger children and so I can see that they are family-friendly but the hotel is also good for young couples such as ourselves, older couples and I would also come back with female friends as a spa break.

All in all, a wonderful night's stay.

2 Thank nativenewyorker2014
Dear nativenewyorker2,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.

I was delighted to see that you had such a wonderful time with us.
I have passed your comments on to the team and they were delighted.

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

What a lovely hotel and what a great experience from the moment we stepped foot in the hotel. My mum and I were waited on hand and foot for the whole of our spa break to celebrate her birthday. The staff were all so helpful and friendly and were happy to answer any questions we had about the local area. The spa was beautiful and the treatments were brilliant, very relaxing. The food and service in the restaurant was fantastic and the pancakes at breakfast were delicious. The room was lovely, comfy beds, great bath and big TV. I stayed here 3 weeks ago and have just booked to go back with my boyfriend on Friday night - i would recommend this hotel to anyone. It really has something special about it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear ClaireRom87,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.

I was delighted that we could help you celebrate your Mums birthday.
Customer service is paramount to us at Charlton House and I have passed you comments
on to the team,

We look forward to welcoming you and your boyfriend at the weekend,

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as a romantic and relaxing break away - we were not disappointed!

The hotel itself is beautiful and our room, the garden lodge, was excellent. Thanks for the upgrade! It was decorated in keeping with the style of the hotel but with modern touches.

The spa, decorated with a Moroccan feel, was relaxing and had everything you could want. The outside area with the jacuzzi and heated pool were lovely in the warm weather. Our package included a massage which was really relaxing.

The evening meal was beautifully presented and a real treat to have something a bit special! Breakfast in the morning was delicious with a huge choice. Drinks and snacks in the hotel were priced as you would expect in a hotel of this standard.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing and indulgent break. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear LAway1,

Thank you for awarding us five stars.

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am very grateful for your feedback,thank you so much for taking the time to post
such a wonderful review,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We travelled to this hotel to celebrate our anniversary. Our room was beautiful (The Coach Room) and made up for the fact that we had to go outside to get to the spa. The facilities were very good, and created a relaxing atmosphere. The food at dinner was of very good quality, and the staff were friendly despite us turning up at 9pm. A couple of things let it down though - our toilet didn't flush properly and the shower temperature would drastically change in seconds - just the basic things you expect to work. The spa also got very busy on Sunday which spoilt the relaxing atmosphere a little bit.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have just returned from a lovely night at Charlton House on the couples' spa package for my birthday. We were upgraded to the fantastic Duncan's Den for free, which was absolutely amazing. We loved the huge flat screen and blu ray collection and the massive bath tub with twin monsoon showers for starters. Probably not to everyone's taste but was a lovely surprise - thank you. Service was exemplary throughout our stay. The spa is cosy but facilities are excellent, especially the jacuzzi outside. Really enjoyed a pre-dinner drink in the lounge with Leon, the very helpful and friendly member of staff who attended to our every need. Dinner was really tasty too, and couldn't help but add dessert to our two-course dinner (inc. in spa package) and it was worth every penny. Would definitely recommend. Thank you Charlton House team, too many good staff to name all individually.

Room Tip: Duncan's Den has the wow factor for sure, great facilities. Not in keeping with the style of the...