“O.K. But Not Amazing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
London, United Kingdom
“O.K. But Not Amazing”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Not exactly what you can expect for a Spa hotel, prices are not equated with the service, the food is good but you can find better places for less money and better service. The hotel is gorgeous but unfortunately there is no sense of attention to detail and personal touch. We would definitely explore other options before picking this again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
York, England
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Charlton House Hotel, and found it a strange experience: nothing to do with the welcome, the service or the atmosphere; or the large room and bathroom, the well laid out public rooms, or the dining. We found that we were disappointed by the realisation that the hotel had been bought by Bannatyne Group from the folk who owned the Mulberry brand, and had appeared to have done *nothing* about the refurbishment of any of the decor that had been done by them all those years previously. The marketing chat had made it all sound pretty smart. So although the Spa may or may not have been wonderful, or the lawn loungers very relaxing, I couldn't help but notice that the curtains in the Spa were torn and falling off their rails; the same in our bathroom! Paintwork was worn from successive cleaners doing their bit; window cills in the conservatory were water stained and ring marked; ceiling paper coming down and lights not working in bathroom. Lots of brown-wood furniture from assorted salesrooms might have seemed "romantic"; but the fabrics on the many mis-matched chairs and seating around the sitting room were grubby and threadbare! *shabby*. Not chic. at all. So my expectations were definitely *not* fulfilled.

1 Thank posie1
Bath
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We have just had a fantastic Wedding at Charlton House and would thoroughly recommend the venue to other couples looking for the perfect setting.

We took the venue exclusively which worked brilliantly for us on the day. We were blessed with glorious weather which meant our guests could enjoy the excellent picturesque grounds as well as roam throughout the splendid rooms inside. Having the venue to ourselves definitely added to the occasion as it felt like our own private house for the day. We were also able to offer out all of the rooms to our guests which was lovely when seeing them all at breakfast the following morning!.

The ceremony took place in the Orangery which is a fabulous room that comfortably holds 70-80 guests. There is a lovely courtyard outside which our guests were able to use before and after the ceremony.

The staff were fantastic throughout. Carla the Event Manager at Carlton House was very accommodating, answering any queries by email quickly and ensuring an evening appointment at the venue was never any trouble. We chose only had two meetings in the run up to the wedding but we were still confident Carla knew what we wanted.

The food tasting was fab, the Chef was so adaptable. We were happy for him to try out his lollipop canapés on us, he catered for me as a coeliac with no issue. The food on the day was equally as delicious.

On the day Carla was calm, far more than I was! And reminded me this wasn't just 'an event' for me, it was my wedding day, so I should stop dressing the rooms and go and get ready and leave her to work through my list!!

She was surprised my husband was still not dressed for the wedding half an hour before and gently gave him a nudge to get ready!

Everything went without a hitch and we could relax into the day.

When Carla left for the evening I was equally as calm to be handed over into Julian's capable hands. Everyone loved him and the food service ran smoothly as did the flow of wine!

When we moved on to the evening festivities all the staff were brilliant and adapted to all the ages of our guests, especially those that stayed up into the early hours of the morning!

We had a lovely day and can take away so many great memories. I originally wanted to get married at Babington House but didn't have an open cheque book! Charlton House was far better value for money and much more relaxed without the pretentious that sometimes creeps in at Babington.

We will definitely be returning to Charlton House in the future to stay and enjoy the venue again as husband and wife!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank BathTcw
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The Charlton is a gorgeous spot with a lovely spa, nice gardens. Every room I've stayed in - varying from the huge rooms with enormous bathrooms with standalone bath tubs to "The Small Double - has been beautifully decorated and unique.

If I were looking for a base to explore this part of the West Country with a partner I would definitely consider the Charlton, although whether you'd ever leave the hotel is questionable(!)

The only downside to the hotel is that staff presence can be lacking. While this is probably a benefit to those lost in their SO's eyes, it can be frustrating if you're just looking for some assistance.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this Spa Break as a surprise for my wife's 30th and we stayed over on the Saturday night (10th May). Our room was not ready but that's not a problem as we were early so had a drink and they stored our things while we went off to have a Swedish back massage and scalp massage. Now although these are advertised as 30 mins and 15 mins, we didn't get the full time which was slightly disappointing because you do pay a lot for them. The lady giving the massage was very good and as most Brits do, I didn't say anything because we had a good chat while she was massaging me and I was actually happy for it to finish when it did as it felt like she'd done enough. 30 mins rubbing a back is a lot! However I do feel that something should be said as others might kick up a fuss if they weren't happy. I was back out with 10 minutes still left to go before it should have ended. My wife also.

I'd booked a deluxe room and we stayed in room 2 - Adam and Eve. Great spacious room with seats too, bathroom fine and a lovely view of the freshly mown gardens. No issues here. Room had a safe, fridge, kettle etc. Bed was massive too and comfortable.

The Spa is not the biggest but it was also not the busiest so it didn't matter. Nice array of steam and sauna rooms and the hydropool is warm and relaxing. The hot tub outside is a must! Very very relaxing!

Dinner was really good. I'm more of a pub lunch type person - steak, chips, peas but you won't find that here which forced my hand to try some other things I wouldn't normally look at. I couldn't understand half the words on the menu :) But chose rabbit for starter, duck for main and a chocolate dessert. My wife had Octopus for starters which I tried too (yay me) and monkfish for main with a sponge type dessert. All plates were cleaned free of food but if you've got a big stomach, fill up with wine instead as the portions aren't massive. Enough for us though.

Waiters were very pleasant, in fact all staff were. Dinner was made extra special with them bringing out my wifes dessert with a personalised happy 30th birthday message written in chocolate sauce. This was excellent and got me some browny points :)

Breakfast the next day was fine, again, I love a MASSIVE full english usually but you got 2 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg (however you like them), black pudding, small half a tomato, flat mushroom and toast. I swapped the black pud for an extra sausage no problem and it was all very tasty. This was enough to keep me going too.

All in all it was a great weekend and although we had full use of the spa the next day, we headed off to have a look around the local towns instead.

Room Tip: Adam and Eve - Room 2 - Deluxe room was fine. Single glazed windows but it was quiet.
1 Thank Darren G
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We visited last night and used the spa facilities today... The place itself is fab and well maintained in a shabby chic style. We had an excellent meal last night, however I would say that the waiter was a little rude when we asked to be moved to a table in the conservatory area rather than one of the tables that was in a dark corner. The spa is very nice but well equipped with very nice staff, good treatments but the changing rooms and lockers are inadequate for how many people are using the spa- basically theres bags and belongings are all over the floor. Apart from that a nice stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank KittyHP
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a spa break on a spaseekers deal and it was fantastic. The hotel is lovely- small but that doesn't take away from it.

Our room was comfortable, large and had everything we needed. I had read some reviews about rooms at the front of the hotel being noisy from the road but we had no problems with this at all. It was prefectly peaceful. Our room was just across from the spa, which was ideal. The spa was, again, small, but relaxing and of good quality. The staff at the spa perhaps could have been a bit more friendly when answering a couple of questions (like where things were!) but when we had the actual treatments, they were friendly and professional, and we had a lovely facial (for me) and massage (for him).

Our deal came with a two course dinner, and we couldn't resist a third. The food was fantastic. Beautifully presented and flavoured. The desserts are particularly amazing!

Overall, I'd recommend it here and I would definitely go back. Could have quite happily stayed there another night.

Room Tip: Room 19 is ideally situated by the spa.
1 Thank Kate D
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Apsley House Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!