“A lot of thought has gone into the options, and these really work”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
“A lot of thought has gone into the options, and these really work”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

As a couple we were part of Wedding Party (our first time at this hotel)
Lucky to have the garden lodge, which is self contained and separate, but still within the calming and well managed gardens, this facility was first class. A truly peaceful and relaxing hotel.
All the staff seemed to enjoy their work, and were pleased to help. Drinks are overpriced, is my only criticism

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This was the second time I've visited Charlton House. The heavenly bliss package was perfect for my sister and I (two busy mums) needing some R&R. It was a perfect break and we couldn't fault the hotel or service. We were far to busy relaxing and enjoying ourselves to notice water marks or torn curtains as mentioned in other reviews!! We shall definitely be back. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just stopped for one night B&B and dined out so can't comment on the food but the menu looked good. I checked in quickly and then immediately left to go out to dinner.On returning I had a nightcap with other guests who had attended the same dinner...engrossed in conversation I didn;t really "take in " my surroundings. Once in my room I slept well in a very comfortable bed...crisp linen, soft towels etc etc. Only in the light of day did I notice how unloved the room and bathroom were....tired and tatty. Where window latches had been moved or replaced the old screw holes were left unfilled and unpainted...in the bathroom, the shower over the bath had no hook to hang the shower head on...the taps on the basin didn;t match the ones in the bath...on the positive side there was plenty of hot water at good pressure despite being in the eaves of the building.

Breakfast buffet was good. Excellent choice of cereals, good tea and delicious cooked breakfast served by a quiet and efficient waitress in the spacious restaurant.

Again, looking around the public areas, while checking out, one could help but notice the well worn furniture, slightly tatty paintwork and overall lack of maintenance.

One can imagine that the building was once a grand private residence that had been passed from generation to generation and that death duties had prevented the family from being able to properly maintain it. Now it is in corporate hands and the owners need to carefully examine the condition of their beautiful asset. They urgently need to find the funds or at the very least put in place a programme of renovation to bring the wonderful building up to the standard it deserves.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank zeebigcheese
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I arrange a Classic Car Break every year for a large group of friends . Forty-four of us stayed for two nights in May this year and we couldn't fault the hotel, staff or food. The rooms were all lovely, each one very different. The staff were without fail polite and helpful. The food is of excellent quality and the menus inventive. The cost of bar drinks is a little steep but the wine list is typical of this quality hotel.
This was our seventh year and the best one yet.
Well done to Sakis and all of his staff for making our stay memorable. Not one of our friends had a single complaint and several intend to return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Not exactly what you can expect for a Spa hotel, prices are not equated with the service, the food is good but you can find better places for less money and better service. The hotel is gorgeous but unfortunately there is no sense of attention to detail and personal touch. We would definitely explore other options before picking this again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
York, England
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Charlton House Hotel, and found it a strange experience: nothing to do with the welcome, the service or the atmosphere; or the large room and bathroom, the well laid out public rooms, or the dining. We found that we were disappointed by the realisation that the hotel had been bought by Bannatyne Group from the folk who owned the Mulberry brand, and had appeared to have done *nothing* about the refurbishment of any of the decor that had been done by them all those years previously. The marketing chat had made it all sound pretty smart. So although the Spa may or may not have been wonderful, or the lawn loungers very relaxing, I couldn't help but notice that the curtains in the Spa were torn and falling off their rails; the same in our bathroom! Paintwork was worn from successive cleaners doing their bit; window cills in the conservatory were water stained and ring marked; ceiling paper coming down and lights not working in bathroom. Lots of brown-wood furniture from assorted salesrooms might have seemed "romantic"; but the fabrics on the many mis-matched chairs and seating around the sitting room were grubby and threadbare! *shabby*. Not chic. at all. So my expectations were definitely *not* fulfilled.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank posie1
Bath
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We have just had a fantastic Wedding at Charlton House and would thoroughly recommend the venue to other couples looking for the perfect setting.

We took the venue exclusively which worked brilliantly for us on the day. We were blessed with glorious weather which meant our guests could enjoy the excellent picturesque grounds as well as roam throughout the splendid rooms inside. Having the venue to ourselves definitely added to the occasion as it felt like our own private house for the day. We were also able to offer out all of the rooms to our guests which was lovely when seeing them all at breakfast the following morning!.

The ceremony took place in the Orangery which is a fabulous room that comfortably holds 70-80 guests. There is a lovely courtyard outside which our guests were able to use before and after the ceremony.

The staff were fantastic throughout. Carla the Event Manager at Carlton House was very accommodating, answering any queries by email quickly and ensuring an evening appointment at the venue was never any trouble. We chose only had two meetings in the run up to the wedding but we were still confident Carla knew what we wanted.

The food tasting was fab, the Chef was so adaptable. We were happy for him to try out his lollipop canapés on us, he catered for me as a coeliac with no issue. The food on the day was equally as delicious.

On the day Carla was calm, far more than I was! And reminded me this wasn't just 'an event' for me, it was my wedding day, so I should stop dressing the rooms and go and get ready and leave her to work through my list!!

She was surprised my husband was still not dressed for the wedding half an hour before and gently gave him a nudge to get ready!

Everything went without a hitch and we could relax into the day.

When Carla left for the evening I was equally as calm to be handed over into Julian's capable hands. Everyone loved him and the food service ran smoothly as did the flow of wine!

When we moved on to the evening festivities all the staff were brilliant and adapted to all the ages of our guests, especially those that stayed up into the early hours of the morning!

We had a lovely day and can take away so many great memories. I originally wanted to get married at Babington House but didn't have an open cheque book! Charlton House was far better value for money and much more relaxed without the pretentious that sometimes creeps in at Babington.

We will definitely be returning to Charlton House in the future to stay and enjoy the venue again as husband and wife!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Apsley House Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!