“Disappointing...”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It actually saddens me to write this review, as I have enjoyed staying at Charlton House many times with my boyfriend and it had become a kind of special place for us to escape and enjoy some chill-out time together. However, the last couple of times we visited the hotel, our stay has been tainted by rude staff. In fact, it really just comes down to one very unpleasant waitress. To be fair, the rest of the staff are normally polite and attentive. This one waitress, however, has been consistently rude and makes you feel like you are inconveniencing her by simply turning up for breakfast. We were actually 'told off' for accidentally sitting at a table that was not quite ready. She then proceeded to give us the cold shoulder for the rest of the service and simply ignored us when we wanted to place our orders. She begrudgingly handed us toast about 45 minutes after we asked for it and failed to mention that the blueberry pancakes (that I have come to love and seriously look forward to every visit) did not have any blueberries in them, as the chef couldn't find any. I don't know if she was being funny or plain brash, but either way, it would have been courteous for her to have mentioned this at the time of ordering. I would have picked something else and got my full money's worth - it's not a cheap hotel and therefore you do not expect a cheap service. It's a shame that the actions of one person can ruin the whole experience. We will not be returning any time soon.

Room Tip: Despite my negative comments regarding the service at this hotel, we have stayed in lots of differen...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Zoe-PK

Many thanks for your feedback and I was very sorry to hear that one member of staff spoilt your experience with us. I was unable to guess who you are referring to so please feel free to give me a call if you have a minute and want to discuss further.
I hope that this experience will not deter you from returning to Charlton House. Please let me know when you do so in order for me to take personal care of your requirements.

Best wishes

Sakis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My partner and I had a really relaxing 2 night stay in the South Wing room. The bed and bath in the room were both very romantic and further enhanced our stay! The evening meal, breakfast and Afternoon tea were all very nice, not spectacular but certainly of a high standard. The staff were all friendly and my full body massage very good indeed. We used the spa a few times and the outdoor hot tub was particularly enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice relaxing treat in Somerset.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the lovely Charlton House Hotel. The hotel and grounds are lovely. The public rooms are beautifully furnished with antiques. The staff are friendly and attentive. Breakfast was served in the large conservatory and was very good.

Our beautiful bedroom was large with a fireplace and several windows. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower. The TV could have been larger or positioned closer to the bed.

We hope to return to the hotel for a longer stay to fully enjoy the facilities!

Room Tip: Our bedroom was called 'Tudor Animals'. The name is taken from the Mulberry fabric used for...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear HelloKittyTravelPro

It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you to Charlton House recently and thank you so much for all your kind feedback.

We are really looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

With kind regards.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We recently stayed in the gorgeous suite for our wedding anniversary. We had an amazing time unwinding in the gardens on the insanely comfortable loungers (we have since been trawling the internet for one to buy for ourselves)! This was followed by even more relaxation in the steam room, sauna and hydrotherapy pool with water jets pummelling out all of those knots we never realised we had! Our evening was spent enjoying champagne on our private terrace before dinner in the conservatory overlooking the stunning surroundings. The staff were ever so friendly, we felt really spoilt. The bed was so comfy and large that we hardly realised we were sharing it! It was a real treat and we'd like to thank everyone at Charlton House for making our anniversary so special. We will most definitely be back soon!

Dear Adam C

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post a review. We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay at Charlton House for your wedding anniversary and really appreciate all your kind comments.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

With very best wishes.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Charlton House for just one night earlier this month and found it quite bipolar! Some elements were great and some were distinctly average.

The staff were all really friendly and the building and grounds were lovely - especially in the sunny weather. The breakfast was also really tasty (if a tad on the small side) and served really quickly. Our room (Cranmore) was spacious and had a nice patio area - no doubt we'd have spent more time out there, had we stayed longer.

One of the main downsides was that the spa was a bit tired, some things were broken and it just seemed a bit grubby. That said, the indoor/outdoor pool is a nice feature.
Probably the worst thing about our stay...and definitely a case of the little things matter...was the afternoon tea. The bread used for the sandwiches was nothing short of stale and they were pretty bland and uninteresting. The bath buns were also dry and overcooked. Not ideal considering it was £39 for two (including the random £1 Bannatyne charitable donation). I'm sure some people will think this is picky, but afternoon tea is kind of our thing!

After this disappointment I was so relieved I'd booked a local restaurant for dinner, rather than eating in the hotel. If you do stay at Charlton House try Blostins in Shepton Mallet, it's a lovely restaurant.

Considering its premium price tag, I couldn't bring myself to rate Charlton House anything other than average.

4  Thank R1chR

Dear R1chR

Thank you so much for taking the time to post feedback following your recent visit to Charlton House.

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much indeed for all your kind comments, they are much appreciated. I'm sorry that the afternoon tea was not to your liking and I am grateful that you have taken the time to advise me of your dissatisfaction. Our Spa is extremely popular and I am a little surprised by your comments but we will look into them and do our utmost to improve.

I very much hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

With kind regards.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

A lovely, creaking old house with delightful rooms full of character. The rooms, I feel, are the highlight. The house is a brilliant old building and the rooms - although very well decorated - keep that oldy-wordly charming feel. They have a restaurant and a bar area where you can eat. I only had a quick burger and chips in the bar and extremely impressed with so that is a good sign for the quality of food in the restaurant..... I did not have breakfast or visit the spa. My only problem was the wifi was a bit dodgy and it took ages to check out because the woman "had never checked anyone out before". Oh, and the room was extremely hot.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Overnight stay in Deluxe room with spa treatment, dinner and breakfast. Sounded wonderful upon booking as advertised as a Mulberry Hotel which indeed it once was owned, however I felt it did not live up to expectations. Difference of opinion about our room which was very large and overlooked the front of the Hotel (named Parterre), the decor felt quite depressing to me, the bathroom lights didn't work and the four poster bed left me sleeping with one eye open waiting for the ghost of christmas past to appear. My husband however, liked the room and felt it was quirky - I think I prefer traditional/classy style with a more luxurious modern feel. Spa treatments (elemis facial & full body massage) were excellent and very relaxing. Hydrotherapy pool/sauna etc decorated nicely and nice outside area with Jacuzzi but as it was small certain times got very busy and this was the only downside. Dinner was very tasty with good menu choice although small portions and on the expensive side. Breakfast better cold buffet and hot food made to order. Garden areas/terrace furnished with good quality furniture with a few day beds on the lawn. All in all there was a very relaxing atmosphere and the location is well placed for shopping (the mulberry factory shop/Kilver shops just around the corner) and visiting historical towns such as Wells, Glastonbury and Street. Parking available in the grounds of the hotel.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms near the spa have a patio garden which lead directly onto the jacuzzi/spa area - with f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
dominee w, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear cocomidglam,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to see that you found the spa treatments "excellent"
and that you found the food "tasty" .
I was very sorry that the room was not to your liking .
We have 28 rooms at Charlton House each one individual and "quirky"
Customer satisfaction is of great importance to us and had we know of your discomfort we would have offered you another room straight away,
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon and as you recommended you could try one of our spa bedrooms in the newer wing?

Kind regards,

7 mi away
Wookey Hole Hotel
Wookey Hole Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!