“20th anniversary”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Bath, United Kingdom
“20th anniversary”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had our anniversary here. Everything was wonderful. The service from arrival, the spa and restaurant was all excellent.
The hotel is lovely, beautiful gardens. The restaurant and some public areas are getting a bit tired.
The food was disappointing actually. Really lacking in flavour. There wasn't much on the menu that appealed to me. The fish were haddock and salmon which anyone can have at home. They add an £8 supplement to the steak which I thought was excessive. The wines were reasonably priced.
They made the effort to make us a lovely 'Happy Anniversary' plate for our dessert though which was a nice surprise.
I'm still giving it five stars because we had a very memorable time and will return for sure. I hope the menu will be more inspiring next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa V
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Teresa V
Many thanks for your great review. We also appreciate your feedback in relation to the food which was not to your liking. Feel free to contact me in future directly if you like to visit again and we shall do our utmost to accommodate your requirements.

Sakis Dinas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Food lacked choice and quality. Hotel was beautiful and grounds very peaceful. Deluxe room was stunning. Spa was nice, however didn't get treatment we booked as they made a mistake with previous client so had to re-do treatment, we only got 40 minutes, didn't get full hour booked. Staff very friendly in hotel, not so much in spa.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank The_A-train-24
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have been here before so as we was passing we had to stop to have a look around and have drinks. Once again the place is great and the staff are wonderful. We cant wait to stay next time. It was a short visit but its always nice to come here. Try it

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scott j
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear scott j

Many thanks for your great feedback. we look forward to your next visit.

Wheathampstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for one night for my boyfriends birthday present - could afford more than that! With the booking we got dinner in the restaurant, a few treatments each, spa access even after checking out and breakfast the next morning.

When we arrived to check in, we were told that we had been upgraded which was a lovely surprise, especially as it was for a birthday present. When we were taken into the room it was like nothing I had ever seen before. We had been upgraded free of charge to a room designed by Duncan Bannatyne himself - Duncan's Den. It was heaven! The bath was as big as my bedroom at home and had 2 huge shower heads so we could both shower at once. I urge people to look at the pictures online of this room as it was so luxurious! We loved it and didn't want to leave.

The spa treatments were lovely and the staff in the spa were really friendly which added a nice touch. The spa itself was also great - quite small but had everything you need and the outside hot tub was perfect as it was cold outside at the time.

The food both in the evening and at breakfast time was exceptional.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Charlotte W
Dear Charlotte W

thank you so much for this fantastic review. It was our pleasure to look after you as our guests and we look forward to your next visit.

Pershore
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay, but could wish that there was not such a long walk from the disabled bedroom to the main rooms. The bedroom was well fitted, and had a mezzanine with a single bed so one could travel with a carer. Therre was small terrace too - badly in need of sweeping. It took some time to learn how to work the light switches, but we managed in the end. The curtains were far from light-proof.

The food is reasonably good, but service in the restaurant ws sometimes very slow. The staff were helpful, and the manager coped admirably with my husband who was stressed after a long time in the car - and what he hoped was a bar turned out to be the spa, much to his disappointment.

Theh decor is eccentric - but comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear yraveller1

Many thanks for your review. We have taken on board your comments for improvement.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It actually saddens me to write this review, as I have enjoyed staying at Charlton House many times with my boyfriend and it had become a kind of special place for us to escape and enjoy some chill-out time together. However, the last couple of times we visited the hotel, our stay has been tainted by rude staff. In fact, it really just comes down to one very unpleasant waitress. To be fair, the rest of the staff are normally polite and attentive. This one waitress, however, has been consistently rude and makes you feel like you are inconveniencing her by simply turning up for breakfast. We were actually 'told off' for accidentally sitting at a table that was not quite ready. She then proceeded to give us the cold shoulder for the rest of the service and simply ignored us when we wanted to place our orders. She begrudgingly handed us toast about 45 minutes after we asked for it and failed to mention that the blueberry pancakes (that I have come to love and seriously look forward to every visit) did not have any blueberries in them, as the chef couldn't find any. I don't know if she was being funny or plain brash, but either way, it would have been courteous for her to have mentioned this at the time of ordering. I would have picked something else and got my full money's worth - it's not a cheap hotel and therefore you do not expect a cheap service. It's a shame that the actions of one person can ruin the whole experience. We will not be returning any time soon.

Room Tip: Despite my negative comments regarding the service at this hotel, we have stayed in lots of differen...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Zoe-PK

Many thanks for your feedback and I was very sorry to hear that one member of staff spoilt your experience with us. I was unable to guess who you are referring to so please feel free to give me a call if you have a minute and want to discuss further.
I hope that this experience will not deter you from returning to Charlton House. Please let me know when you do so in order for me to take personal care of your requirements.

Best wishes

Essex
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had a really relaxing 2 night stay in the South Wing room. The bed and bath in the room were both very romantic and further enhanced our stay! The evening meal, breakfast and Afternoon tea were all very nice, not spectacular but certainly of a high standard. The staff were all friendly and my full body massage very good indeed. We used the spa a few times and the outdoor hot tub was particularly enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice relaxing treat in Somerset.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Wookey Hole Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Apsley House Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!