“A lovely birthday treat”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked a spa package as a birthday present and we were not disappointed. The hotel, spa and grounds are beautiful, with a very peaceful ambience.
The Moroccan themed spa was luxurious with a hydrotherapy pool, outdoor hot tub, Laconium, steam room, sauna and Ice fountain.
The customer service, in all areas, lunch, dinner and breakfast were excellent.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a relaxing break. It gets a very definite 5 stars from me!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H-Jane B

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights after our wedding. We booked it via a package website so weren't 100% sure what to expect after having mixed results in the past, but we were completely amazed. The room was gorgeous, as stunningly decorated as the rest of the hotel. We had dinner as part of the package and were surprised at how good it was; beautifully presented but still delicious and filling. Breakfast was just as good with an excellent selection. The spa was luxurious as were the treatments we had. With good service as well we couldn't have asked for anything more and were very sorry to leave!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank BeccaH_30
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

DearBeccaH_30

Firstly congratulations on you marriage , we were so glad to be part of your celebrations.
I was delighted to see that we exceeded your expectations.

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars, I do hope that you will come and
visit us again soon,

Kind regards,

Sakis

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having read some of the not so favourable reviews on Trip Advisor, we were a bit worried about our stay, well let me say we had a wonderfully relaxing stay here.

On arrival we were greeted with charming reception staff who swiftly checked us in and showed us around, there is a lovely relaxed vibe about the hotel and nothing was too much trouble. We had room 5 which was close to reception, it was ideal for donning robes and walking downstairs to the spa, and had lots of character and was very in keeping with the hotel.

The spa was really lovely, and whilst it's not the largest pool area, we simply loved the sauna's steam room and ice machine, and the way it was all set up in a circular shape with dimmed lights. Despite being quite busy on a saturday the sauna and steam rooms were never full. We found it got a bit quieter after five, so worth bearing in mind, and we got up sunday morning before breakfast and pretty much had the spa facilities to ourselves.

Wonderfully tasty dinner, excellent bar staff and restaurant staff, swift service with drinks, and bar nuts which were lovely. Our bottle of champers which was included in our package was chilled ready for us before dinner. The meal was delicious, the pork belly in particular and the 'strawberry soup' my husband raved about! You have a great chef!

Lovely lounge to chill out in before and after dinner, and overall a lovely ambience throughout in the evening.

Spa treatments were lovely and of good quality. No hard selling on the products although staff available to hand if you had any questions.

This hotel was immaculate, the bedroom was spotless, as was the spa.

Only criticisms is the bed was a bit bouncy - I personally prefer a firm bed

In addition, the room was a bit noisy. We were close to reception and whilst there was no wedding that night, due to the proximity to reception and also the fact that the hotel is a more intimite size you could hear guests in the lobby and going in and out the back door (which banged, perhaps this could be addressed) onto the terrace to smoke. This is inevitable and understandable but should be something that you should bear in mind when booking if you are a light sleeper. We probably would still opt for the same room if we returned as it has such a lovely view of the gardens and was convenient when popping to the spa.

Breakfast was of very good quality, organic/locally sourced products, and all very nicely presented, and a great range of fruit, and yogurts and cereals. Cooked breakfast was delicious and the additional maple pancakes I requested were lovely

Overall very impressed and shall definitely return here…it's quirky, cosy, and romantic and very british. I keep leaving the Christmas brochure on the side as a hint to my husband, I'm sure that would be a lovely atmosphere!

Oh and remember to take Trip Advisor with a pinch of salt, there was a guest book in reception packed with wonderful comments

We also combined a visit to Stourhead prior to our arrival at the hotel, I'd recommend it, it was a great combination to a romantic weekend!

2  Thank Anna K

Dear Annak,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.
I have passed your comments back to the chef and spa departments
customer satisfaction is very important to us and we were delighted that
you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
Thank you for pointing out that Trip Advisor is just an opinion,thankfully we
manage to please the majority of our guests .
I am so glad that you found Stourhead it is a very romantic National Trust House that
is conveniently situated near by ,we recommend a visit to all our guests

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Pros:
- friendly staff that will do anything for you
- waiters that are very attentive
- garden lodge is huge!
- spa feels very luxurious
- spa staff properly trained and offered good advice
- good dinner
- excellent choice for breakfast
- high quality ingredients
- everywhere was clean

Cons -
- spa robes only come in a size medium, so nothing for larger people!
- not enough space around pool if busy
- bed very uncomfortable, bowed in different places. Could do with a new mattress pronto!
- changing area very small

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Jessica6311,

Thank you for your feedback.Customer service is paramount to us and I was delighted to
see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry that you were not offered a large robe , we do have some in the spa but we tend to use the medium as standard and give out large on request, I apologise that this was not brought to your attention.

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were torn by this hotel - so much potential, and the communal areas are nice, however the style is a mixture of shabby chic/antique however trying to be upper class. It was definitely shabby, but not chic. The setting and the grounds were lovely but let down by the room.

In addition, we had dinner on the Saturday night, service was slow and lacked personality. I had to send back my starter as it was cold. The menu also lacked imagination.

I really don't like giving a poor review, however it just wasn't worth the money, and we even had a last minute deal.

1  Thank SMatthews1983
BannatyneCH, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear S matthews1983,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.
Each one of our rooms is individually decorated and there is usually
something to suit everyone.Had we known you were not happy with your room we
would have tried to find something more suitable for you.

We have a continuous refurbishment programme in place and the vast majority of our guest love the look and feel of Charlton House.
Feel free to contact me directly should you wish to come back.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have recently returned from this hotel after a one night break from the children following our wedding. As most parents will appreciate, anytime away from the children is difficult to organise and much anticipated, as our 'first night' this anticipation and our expectations were much higher. Unfortunately these were not met and we were left feeling disappointed.

We paid to stay in a Superior room, sumptuous picture of four poster beds on the hotels website had enticed us into parting with £200 for B&B accommodation. The room itself was a converted conference room, with a fold down wall bed, my special request to ensure we had the four poster bed completely ignored. A broken projection screen hung down, which my husband stored away with more care than those responsible for ensuring the rooms readiness for guests. There were a number of maintenance issues in relation to the decor, notable blown plaster around the large bath tub, which gave the appearance of dirtiness.

The spa facilities were acceptable, but again there were maintenance issues, the pool area and plastic for dividing the inside and outside pools was dirty with a built up substance, the edges of the pool area needed a good bleaching. Other guests of the spa had left plastic cups of water all around the pool and the staff responsible for removing the wet towels from this area completely ignored this - would it really have been so difficult to pick them up - I felt like doing it myself.

The spa treatment we had was very nice with no pressure for onward sales - but I think the hotel might be missing a trick here, had we been told of late availability we may well have booked further treatments prior to our departure, but they weren't bothered so nor were we.

The bar service was acceptable but lacked attentiveness, with so few guests I'd really expect my glass to stay topped up. Dinner was similar, we were sat on top of another couple, with no feeling of privacy despite the restaurant being empty. The service was fine, so was the food - but fine wasn't really good enough.

Overall the hotel was nice, the decoration and presentation of the facilities were in keeping with a historical building and gave the impression of a romantic destination, the maintenance and service let it down for us. If this hotel came up on 'Groupon' and was a bargain I would revisit, but I certainly would not recommend it for special occasions due to the lack of attentiveness which just made is feel not quite special enough.

5  Thank ESC14
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I booked a two night stay to combine our wedding anniversary and attending a nearby wedding. Charlton House did not disappoint. The hotel was completely relaxing and we did treat ourselves to some spa treatments which were very enjoyable. The food was lovely, I had baked haddock as a main and it looked beautiful on the plate. Tasted good too. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only negatives are the drink prices were slightly high for spirits and on occasion the service was a bit slow, but overall very enjoyable and I would do it again.

Dear VikkiB,

Thank you for awarding us five stars and for taking the time to post a review.

Customer Satisfaction is very important to us at Charlton House and I was delighted to
see that you had a relaxing stay.

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon ,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepton Mallet
The Bath Priory
#11 of 34 in Bath
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!