“Dinner very dsappointing!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
London, United Kingdom
“Dinner very dsappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Didn't stay but visited with friends for a wedding anniversary dinner - very disappointed. The Dining room was cold and a bit dark and the atmosphere lifeless and gloomy, somehow. My husband and I had soup for starters, the portions were a bit on the small side and lukewarm too. My main course was chicken casserole which was very plain, tasteless and amateurish - like something I would put together quickly at home on a busy school evening! It didn't come with any extra vegetables. The staff were friendly but not polished and they forgot our wine order. Pricey and a let-down. Could have done better myself at home.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
12 Thank sibby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

I booked a hotel and spa package as a birthday treat for my girlfriend and was very impressed with all aspects of the hotel and spa. Brownie points for me :-).
We found the hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful, at every turn eager to please. The lounge rooms and restuarant were very well decorated and furnished, with great tatse and comfort. The areas were inviting and the atmosphere always calm, but never too quiet.
The room we stayed in had a great balance between modern fixings (like the light switches and flat screen TV), whilst the decor kept it inkeeping with the feel of the rest of the house. Our room opened up through double doors onto our very own patio area in the gardens, which we could also look out to from the bed.
We both had treatments in the spa which were very relaxing, every element was in place for the right atmosphere and the staff made us feel so at ease. The spa facilities were plentiful and not crowded, and we particularly enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi.
We ate dinner and lunch in the restaurant and could only give our compliments to the chef and waiting staff. The selection of food was superb, we tried the venison and a steak and both were delicious, cooked to perfection!
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who will listen!! Well done Charlton House Hotel...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Owner at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 1 October 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay as I know how hard our staff work to accommodate our guests. Please let me know when you return and I will do what I can to facilitate an upgrade for you.
Duncan Bannatyne OBE, D.Sc. DBA
Chairman of the Bannatyne Group
Colsterworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Just been to Bannatynes for my partners works do. I know I shouldn't complain as it was free but I need to mention the lack off food.

To start with I plumped for the terrine of pork. It arrived on a massive plate with a couple pieces of garnish and nothing else. The terrine itself was tasty but 2 mouthfuls and it was gone.

My main was lamp hotpot. No joke it arrived in a very small desert bowl with 2 stale pieces of bread. The guy next to me had an onion tart for his main and that's literally all he got, a tart the size of a jam jar lid. We sat wating for the vegetables to turn up.....we had a long wait as they never arrived.

I had the cheese board which was average, it was actually bigger than my starter and main put together

I wouldn't recommend this place for a function whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
27 Thank FletcherBravo
, Owner at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Dear Fletcherbravo

You are quite right you should not complain when you are given a meal for free and it is not honest of you to comment on the value when you did not even know what the meal cost.

Your review is dishonest and insulting. It is also clear you do not appreciate a fine dining experience. You did not start with terrine, you were served a 5 course meal which consisted of, canapés followed by Terrine, individual lamb hot pot, cheeseboard, petit fours and coffee. The main course was served with vegetables inside the dish and sliced potato across the top. Whilst the main course wasn’t huge, it was part of a 5 course meal.

You had a variety of choice for your free meal, which was cooked by our award winning chef.

Canapés consisted
Mini Yorkshire, rare roast beef & horseradish
Tempura of prawns and sweet chilli
Welsh rarebit
Smoked blinis with crème fraiche
Potted shrimp
Confit of duck cruton

Starter
Cream of potato soup with white truffle oil
Pork & bacon terrine, Cumberland sauce
Dressed crab
Goats curd, pickled wild mushroom

Main
Honey glazed bacon belly, red cabbage, creamy mash potato and piccalilli
Hot pot of lamb
Fillet of brill, Creamed leeks, garlic mushrooms, butter sauce
Roast onion & thyme tart

Dessert
Eton mess, seasonal fruit
Hot dark chocolate tar, malt ice cream hazelnut praline
Sticky toffee pudding, clotted cream/vanilla ice cream
Selection of cheese, chutney & biscuits

Coffee & petit fours

If you felt the above was not enough to choose from or that a 5 course meal is not enough for you to eat, you could have ordered a selection of vegetables from our main menu. The bill excluding drinks for 53 people was £1712.50 which makes it £32.30 per head, in all you had a great choice of food at a very good rate.

The Directors who paid for the meal expressed their happiness with the meal and thanked my staff. To say there were no vegetables when the vegetables were served with the meal, shows that trip advisor reviews, are not reviews which can be trusted.

Duncan Bannatyne OBE, D.Sc. DBA
Chairman of the Bannatyne Group
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Just amazing, went for a cheap girly get away (well relatively!); got upgraded to the most beautiful set of rooms ever. Lovely treatments, grounds, food, service and spa facilities. Would definitely return - generally fantastic!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

The Charlton House is a lovely hotel.

The room was very good, though not exceptional and reflected value for money. The real value here is in the facilities and in particular; the first class service in the bar and restaurant.

The spa is superb with excellent facilities and a great opportunity to relax during your stay. If you are like me and enjoy your food and drink you will be impressed with the choice, service and welcoming atmostphere in the lounge and restaurant. Good menu, knowledgeable, attentive staff and excellent food.

It was refreshing to see such an extensive drinks menu, with an array of rums, vodka's and whiskeys enough to suit every palate. I would certainly recommend trying out one of the cocktails they have to offer.

Overall, an enjoyable stay and I'm sure to return in the future. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

As a Yorkshire man, I do think that you get what you pay for in life, well my recent stay at Bannatyne’s I’m pleased to say makes my saying not so true. I thought that the value for money at this hotel was excellent. I usually stay in Hilton & Marriott hotels through my travels in the UK, however I’m certainly going to stay here when I’m next visiting my team.

I arrived quite late and it was nice that the receptionist, who I’m sorry, but I forget her name took the time to ask me how my journey was from Yorkshire and it was not the best, but I was made to feel welcome. I noticed that there was the odd person in the bar so I joined them after I’d checked in to my room, which was clean and what I would have expected.

When I was in the bar, and this is where the ‘but’ comes in, I thought the barman was a little too focussed on upgrading that glass of wine to a large one, to be fair he was a nice guy, and we had a nice chat at the bar, he was a Man U Fan, which does not surprise me as they’re all over the place! J I suppose he was just doing his job. I wish all my sales people were as focussed as him on up selling.

Breakfast the following morning was what I’ve come to expect from hotels on a morning, and it was lovely, the restaurant is really nice, I wish I’d have had more time to eat breakfast in the morning, the sausages looked lovely, not swimming in grease as is usually the case in hotels I’ve stayed in.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Keith B
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

We recently married at Charlton House. It had just been taken over by Duncan Bannatyne and a hand picked team of magnificent staff who bent over backwards to make our wedding perfect. Bryony the events manager, had taken to heart all my requests, and she went beyond the call of duty to make sure everything was exactly as we'd requested. Our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to, nice to hear: and they all commented on the place, the food - the food got a lot of mentions, the ambiance - even the weather was perfect... AND all our spa treatments were skilled which got us in the mood...for the biggest day of ours lives... Charlton House has changed ownership but retained its character of unpretentious luxury, and eclectic style. I'm so grateful. The new management are correcting all the things that had started to slide. I've been coming to Charlton House for several years and was longing for it to be bought by someone who would preserve what I loved about it, whilst enhancing it if possible by injecting some cash and fresh thinking. This has happened, and I've heard a whisper that they have lots of new plans in store to keep adding to the experience. Charlton House is now incredibly good value, making it an even more enjoyable experience if you like value for money, which I do. I've long had a penchant for relaxing in luxury spa hotels as I work hard and relish time being looked after. I never want to leave this hotel. Their cream tea's are superb, wines, choice of furnishings, restaurants, wines - lovely house champagne, the loungers on the lawns, the design of the spa, everything. It feels like my country house home I just happen to share with some other people. Personal yet unfussy...perfect. Just writing this is making me want to go there now! I definitely recommend it if you want to relax and recharge body and soul.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!