“So could have been better..........very disappointing”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Well I wasn't going to write a review until I had the benefit of doubt from the Hotel replying to my letter giving constructive criticism but as I've heard nothing from the hotel since our stay in August I'm writing this.

We booked a weekend away for our 25th Wedding Anniversary 3 nights over the bank holiday weekend. We were very disappointed with the attention to detail with this hotel it isn't large but feel they could be more personal. As it was a special occasion I was expecting someone to acknowledge this but no. So basically our TV didn't work and despite numerous visits (very annoying) it was not repaired. Why wasn't it checked before we arrived? Early breakfast 20 mins before waking us up and then only one breakfast arriving the next day??? Left in lounge waiting for lunch and then being told they'd sold out of various items, toiletries in room disappointing no body lotion run out of toilet roll? Bed not changed lack of privacy in room...............then to be overcharged on check out. Sorry Mr Bannatyne this hotel is rapidly going down instead of up. No I wouldn't go back or recommend and having not had a reply or a follow up from the hotel the whole experience has left a bad taste..............oh and just 2 scallops each for a starter???? Come on........

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hayley.gibbs
antonysmith, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

Good morning Mrs Gibbs

I am sorry to see your review on Tripadvisor as I have not received your letter. I reply to all letters good and bad and would have done so instantly.

We strive to give that personal service that you mention and on other trip advisor comments it does seem to be a running theme that we achieve that. I did indeed speak to you on departure and both of you confirmed that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

All rooms are checked prior to arrival and we discovered no issues at that time. We discussed the problem with your TV in detail and apologised for the inconveninece this caused. Unfortunately your room has required brand new wiring from the external aerial and nothing could be resolved on the day.

With regards to breakfast I have to strongly disagree with your comments. The first day you ticked the wrong allocated time to which you agree when pointed out. On the second day you only requested breakfast for 1 which was delivered.

Your lunch booking was altered to 2pm by your husband and again you apologised as you thought it was 1.30pm. Your bedding was also not changed in the afternoon as you were in the room and therefore our Housekeeping team didnt want to enter at that time.

Our starter of scallops included 2 Queen Scallops, Fresh Oyster with an Orange & Fennel Salad.

I welcome constructive criticism and am sorry that your letter was not replied to. We need to hear all opinions so that we can strive to improve our levels of service.

Yours sincerely
Geoff Green
Operations Manager
Bannatyne Hotel Group

Reviewed 29 September 2010

Didn't stay but visited with friends for a wedding anniversary dinner - very disappointed. The Dining room was cold and a bit dark and the atmosphere lifeless and gloomy, somehow. My husband and I had soup for starters, the portions were a bit on the small side and lukewarm too. My main course was chicken casserole which was very plain, tasteless and amateurish - like something I would put together quickly at home on a busy school evening! It didn't come with any extra vegetables. The staff were friendly but not polished and they forgot our wine order. Pricey and a let-down. Could have done better myself at home.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
12  Thank sibby
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I booked a hotel and spa package as a birthday treat for my girlfriend and was very impressed with all aspects of the hotel and spa. Brownie points for me :-).
We found the hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful, at every turn eager to please. The lounge rooms and restuarant were very well decorated and furnished, with great tatse and comfort. The areas were inviting and the atmosphere always calm, but never too quiet.
The room we stayed in had a great balance between modern fixings (like the light switches and flat screen TV), whilst the decor kept it inkeeping with the feel of the rest of the house. Our room opened up through double doors onto our very own patio area in the gardens, which we could also look out to from the bed.
We both had treatments in the spa which were very relaxing, every element was in place for the right atmosphere and the staff made us feel so at ease. The spa facilities were plentiful and not crowded, and we particularly enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi.
We ate dinner and lunch in the restaurant and could only give our compliments to the chef and waiting staff. The selection of food was superb, we tried the venison and a steak and both were delicious, cooked to perfection!
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who will listen!! Well done Charlton House Hotel...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 1 October 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay as I know how hard our staff work to accommodate our guests. Please let me know when you return and I will do what I can to facilitate an upgrade for you.
Duncan Bannatyne OBE, D.Sc. DBA
Chairman of the Bannatyne Group

Reviewed 25 September 2010

Just been to Bannatynes for my partners works do. I know I shouldn't complain as it was free but I need to mention the lack off food.

To start with I plumped for the terrine of pork. It arrived on a massive plate with a couple pieces of garnish and nothing else. The terrine itself was tasty but 2 mouthfuls and it was gone.

My main was lamp hotpot. No joke it arrived in a very small desert bowl with 2 stale pieces of bread. The guy next to me had an onion tart for his main and that's literally all he got, a tart the size of a jam jar lid. We sat wating for the vegetables to turn up.....we had a long wait as they never arrived.

I had the cheese board which was average, it was actually bigger than my starter and main put together

I wouldn't recommend this place for a function whatsoever.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
27  Thank FletcherBravo
Management response:Responded 28 September 2010

Dear Fletcherbravo

You are quite right you should not complain when you are given a meal for free and it is not honest of you to comment on the value when you did not even know what the meal cost.

Your review is dishonest and insulting. It is also clear you do not appreciate a fine dining experience. You did not start with terrine, you were served a 5 course meal which consisted of, canapés followed by Terrine, individual lamb hot pot, cheeseboard, petit fours and coffee. The main course was served with vegetables inside the dish and sliced potato across the top. Whilst the main course wasn’t huge, it was part of a 5 course meal.

You had a variety of choice for your free meal, which was cooked by our award winning chef.

Canapés consisted
Mini Yorkshire, rare roast beef & horseradish
Tempura of prawns and sweet chilli
Welsh rarebit
Smoked blinis with crème fraiche
Potted shrimp
Confit of duck cruton

Starter
Cream of potato soup with white truffle oil
Pork & bacon terrine, Cumberland sauce
Dressed crab
Goats curd, pickled wild mushroom

Main
Honey glazed bacon belly, red cabbage, creamy mash potato and piccalilli
Hot pot of lamb
Fillet of brill, Creamed leeks, garlic mushrooms, butter sauce
Roast onion & thyme tart

Dessert
Eton mess, seasonal fruit
Hot dark chocolate tar, malt ice cream hazelnut praline
Sticky toffee pudding, clotted cream/vanilla ice cream
Selection of cheese, chutney & biscuits

Coffee & petit fours

If you felt the above was not enough to choose from or that a 5 course meal is not enough for you to eat, you could have ordered a selection of vegetables from our main menu. The bill excluding drinks for 53 people was £1712.50 which makes it £32.30 per head, in all you had a great choice of food at a very good rate.

The Directors who paid for the meal expressed their happiness with the meal and thanked my staff. To say there were no vegetables when the vegetables were served with the meal, shows that trip advisor reviews, are not reviews which can be trusted.

Duncan Bannatyne OBE, D.Sc. DBA
Chairman of the Bannatyne Group

Reviewed 15 September 2010

Just amazing, went for a cheap girly get away (well relatively!); got upgraded to the most beautiful set of rooms ever. Lovely treatments, grounds, food, service and spa facilities. Would definitely return - generally fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The Charlton House is a lovely hotel.

The room was very good, though not exceptional and reflected value for money. The real value here is in the facilities and in particular; the first class service in the bar and restaurant.

The spa is superb with excellent facilities and a great opportunity to relax during your stay. If you are like me and enjoy your food and drink you will be impressed with the choice, service and welcoming atmostphere in the lounge and restaurant. Good menu, knowledgeable, attentive staff and excellent food.

It was refreshing to see such an extensive drinks menu, with an array of rums, vodka's and whiskeys enough to suit every palate. I would certainly recommend trying out one of the cocktails they have to offer.

Overall, an enjoyable stay and I'm sure to return in the future. Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2010

As a Yorkshire man, I do think that you get what you pay for in life, well my recent stay at Bannatyne’s I’m pleased to say makes my saying not so true. I thought that the value for money at this hotel was excellent. I usually stay in Hilton & Marriott hotels through my travels in the UK, however I’m certainly going to stay here when I’m next visiting my team.

I arrived quite late and it was nice that the receptionist, who I’m sorry, but I forget her name took the time to ask me how my journey was from Yorkshire and it was not the best, but I was made to feel welcome. I noticed that there was the odd person in the bar so I joined them after I’d checked in to my room, which was clean and what I would have expected.

When I was in the bar, and this is where the ‘but’ comes in, I thought the barman was a little too focussed on upgrading that glass of wine to a large one, to be fair he was a nice guy, and we had a nice chat at the bar, he was a Man U Fan, which does not surprise me as they’re all over the place! J I suppose he was just doing his job. I wish all my sales people were as focussed as him on up selling.

Breakfast the following morning was what I’ve come to expect from hotels on a morning, and it was lovely, the restaurant is really nice, I wish I’d have had more time to eat breakfast in the morning, the sausages looked lovely, not swimming in grease as is usually the case in hotels I’ve stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
The Bath Priory
#12 of 34 in Bath
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!