“A romantic night away!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Darlington, United Kingdom
“A romantic night away!”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Dear trip advsior, my wife and I stayed down at Charlton House a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to treat ourselves to somewhere nice to stay for our anniversary (away from the kids!). We had read about this hotel and thought it was worth a try as we did not want to be in a busy town and fancied somewhere with spa facilities. It was a long drive from the North of the country but well worth it.
From the minute we arrived we were well looked after by the receptioist and were shown to our room, which was an exectutive double on the first floor. This was perfectly adequate and had a lovely view of the manicured gardens and loungers. Unfortunately, the weather was not nice enough to enjoy them (that's one thing you can't bank on). Anyway, we made our way to the beautiful spa where we were able to use the hydro pool and steam sauna as well as the outside jacuzzi!!
The food quality was excellent and the ambience made for a wonderful night. We did have quite a wait between food courses, but that was not a problem and there is nothing worse than being rushed in and out of a restaurant. We both had the beef which was lovely and was washed down nicely with a lovely bottle of Barolo. (we needed to order another glass to go with the cheese board which we picked for desert!).
After a good night sleep, we were able to enjoy newspapers with breakfast (paoched eggs were spot on) before our long journey home.
We thoroughly enjoyed our mini break, but really wished we had booked in for 2 nights to make the journey worthwhile. My wife was wishing she had time to book in for a treatment as well as the spa facility was great. No real complaints. Great hotel and overall very good value.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
antonysmith, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Good afternoon Johndarlo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Charlton House is a wonderful place to escape and unwind and no matter the weather our guests always manage to slow life down and enjoy the surroundings. The Spa is something we are very proud of with a host of treatments available.

I hope to see you for a 2 night break very soon.

Best wishes

Bannatyne's Charlton House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Glastonbury
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I too was a member of the group that visited Charlton House in September which apparently was made up of one Mr Chad who complained about a lack of vegetables. Personally, I enjoyed the evening. The ambience was lovely and overall l found the experience enjoyable.

What I do find disappointing, however was the management's response. Mr Bannatyne has unfortunately thrown all his teddies out of his pram in his reply. I was brought up to treat the customer as king, irrespective of how much they paid and to accept cirticism as an opportunity to further improve service.

• Stayed September 2010
7 Thank Mikelima48
antonysmith, Managing Director at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Dear Mikelima48

Your comments are very much appreciated and I am glad to note your enjoyment on the evening - ambience and experience

Our response made by management on a previous review was our view and facts of the evening, and also based on us reviewing the package that was booked for your party for that evening, to which we believed, is of good value and accordingly fully support our dedicated and hard working kitchen and serving teams

We hope you return to hopefully once again enjoy the actual experience, as you have done, which at the end of the day is what we strive to achieve.

Nigel Armstrong
Managing Director
Bannatyne Group
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

After being reccomended to vist The Charlton we had a few days off and decided we'd go. First impression was"it looks exactly like it did on the tin" so speak. Dan the receptionist (what a great guy made you feel special and welcome) introduced himself with a warm handshake and made us feel at ease straight away. We were told all about the spa, dinner, history of the hotel, the local area Dan oozed enthusiasum and charm for such a young man.
The room was a deluxe double with a stunning bathroom, it was beautiful. The actual hotel is made for relaxation and comfort.
we booked treatments in the spa and then went off to change for dinner. Service was excellent and friendly, they couldn't do enough for us.
the food was 5 star excellent, my husband had steak both nights and in his own words was excellent. I chose side dishes for starters and the accomodated my every whim. The whole stay was excellent, the food was excellent and the staff, manager, bar staff, spa staff everyone we came into contact with was more than happy to do what ever to make our stay special, and it was
Thanks very much Charlton House we'll be back and will reccomend you to everyone and anyone.
thanks again

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
antonysmith, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Good morning Mrs Hearn

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Dan, our receptionist is a true asset to the Hotel and Charlton House is all about making our guest feel relaxed the minute they arrive.

I am very proud of the food and staff and its great when the team are recognised for their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back to Charlton house in the near future.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

A relaxed comfortable atmosphere with impressive surroundings; agreeable food well presented; the halibut at dinner was particularly good; although there was a distinct lack of bottled water; adequate service; although conservatory dining requires a deal more attention than conventional surroundings. Breakfast saw an over abundance of toast; requested or otherwise; fresh or not; one of our party did not get the tomato sauce and the black pudding was rather impenetrable; but having said this reasonable prices; and a good nights sleep made this stay a suitable venue for all concerned. There is also the spa offering a wide range of treatments.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Journeyman27
Good morning Journeyman27

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to Charlton House. We pride ourselves on using the finest ingredients for dinner and I appreciate your comments on the wonderful surrounding at the hotel.

We have addressed the issues you raised about breakfast and I am sure you will note these changes on your next visit.

You must visit the Spa on your next stay with us.We offer an incredible range of treatments and have just installed a brand new outdoor Jacuzzi.

I look forward to seeing you next time at the Hotel.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Stayed for a couple of days for a business event organised by their events manager. Had a brilliant time and used their outdoor spa pool which was a brilliant place to meet other guests and chat about the days activities. Also has a great new treatment whilst floating in water! To top it all the food was outstanding.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Good morning mthornhill6

Thank you for your comments. im glad you like the new Floatation Bed in the Spa, its an incredible experience.

Your comments about the food is gathering support and I'm delighted with the food that Duncan Mckay, our Executive Chef and his team are offering.

We look forward to seeing you back at Charlton House.

Bannatyne hotel Group
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

A recent vitriolic review in the Daily Telegraph contrasted so violently with recent recommendations from others (and my own previous experience) that I decided to try for myself and I took my mother for a what turned out to be a very enjoyable lunch.

The friendly staff and lovely surroundings have always made this a pleasant place to visit and this occasion was no exception. After being welcomed in the stylish but confortable sitting area, we were able to order at our leisure with an excellently chilled bottle of Pinot Grigio. When the table was ready, we moved to the dining room, which is in a bright and warm conservatory with views over the garden.

My mother started with a goat's cheese salad and I took the warm salad of duck breast, which were both were nicely presented and delicious. We both followed with pigeon breast, which was cooked to pink perfection and sat on an unusual and very tasty risotto made with pearl barley. The meal was nicely rounded off with an excellent double espresso.

All in all, the meal was excellent value at only £11.95 each for the two courses, especially considering the lovely surroundings and the friendly attentive staff. I look forward to coming here again and cannot understand the negative review. My only conclusion is that either the reviewer (I do not recall his name) mistook the name of the venue or he bears a violent grudge against someone at Bannatyne's?

• Stayed October 2010
Good Morning Tim186370

It was good to have you and your mother here for lunch. I really appreciate your comments about the food and staff.

We were hurt by the comments in The Daily Telegraph and felt them a little unjust bearing in mind the vist took place some time ago. However, having read similar reviews of top London restaurants by the same reviewer we are in good company.

Bannatyne's Charlton House wants to deliver the finest food and the best service but not at an over inflated price. So if it means that we are slammed for offering a quality value for money menu, then I am happy to take that firmly on the chin.

I hope to see you back at Charlton house very soon.

oxford
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I guess trip advisor provides an opportunity for every paying guest to turn into Alex Pollizi. I tend not to go looking for trouble and I am pleased to say at Charlton House I did not find any. I get upset if I turn on a light and remain in darkness or turn the tap and receive a dribble of water both of which happened to me at the Royal Crescent in bath, 4 days earlier, for which I paid 3 times as much. I found Dan to be extremely welcoming. He instantly put us at ease as he ran through the “house rules” which are basically: relax, do as you please and let us know if there is absolutely anything we can do for you. He turned out to be knowledgeable about the local area and genuinely “bothered” about us having a good time. I did not notice any dirt anywhere but I did notice an outstanding eclectic collection of very high quality comfy chairs and sofas arranged thoughtfully around old leather chests or chunky oak low tables perfect for the fabulous afternoon tea or a pre dinner drink. If you took the trouble you may have noticed there was a seat for every guest in the house, a bonus for long winter afternoons. I am really surprised by the comments made about dinner. We thought our meal was first class, I mean really first class. Compliments to the chef were heard around the room and it represented really good value. The drinks prices are extremely reasonable and comparable to high street bars. I detect a hint of the pretentious old school “it isn’t Mulberry any more so it isn’t any good. The spa was relaxing warm and comfortable although perhaps a little small if the hotel was to be full. In summary I like a place staffed by “real people” offering good quality service, in a relaxing environment, run for real people. Believe me I understand quality and I am fed up being ripped off by 5 star hotels. I really like this place and we will be going back. You should to. p.s. can't wait to go in the summer and make use of all the comfy garden furniture

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Clivem

Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review of your visit with us.

Our house rules are exactly as you describe them. Relax , enjoy and let us know if there is anything we can do to help. There is a wonderful ambiance at the Hotel and we do not want a return to old school formality.

This is a place to unwind, enjoy the fabulous Spa and eat some great food prepared by our team. We want to offer the 5 star service but still want you to feel that you have received good value for money.

I know the team are looking forward to welcoming you back to Charlton House very soon.

Best wishes
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Holbrook House Hotel
Holbrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wincanton

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!