“Beautiful Hotel, Amazing food!”

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Monmouthshire
“Beautiful Hotel, Amazing food!”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed at Charlton House for our Wedding Anniversary, I have to say, just the drive up to this Hotel is lovely, and the decor is like a Stately Home.
Our room was perfect, immaculate and the bed was so comfortable...
We had a few drinks in the Courtyard first, which is very pretty and lovely views, the sun was shining to, which was great especially for October.
After a few drinks, we then had our meal, now I am not a big foodie really, but the menu is extensive and varied and I didnt know what to choose..in the end I had the fish..great choice, my husband had the steak...which he said was one of the best he'd had.
The staff are very attentive and professional to the max, I felt like I was in a 5 Star Hotel in London...
All in all, I would highly recommend this Hotel, especially if you were looking for wedding venues, we had a great place for ours....but if we had seen this first we would have changed our minds...
Thank you to all the staff at Charlton House...we cant wait to come back for our 2nd Anniversary!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
antonysmith, Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 24 November 2010
Dear MissDaizee, thank you for choosing Bannatyne's Charlton House Spa Hotel for your wedding anniversary. We are really pleased that you have used and enjoyed many of the facilities at the hotel. I have shared this with the team and we look forward to seeing you on your next anniversary. Kind Regards, John Price, Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My wife and I visited to celebrate our anniversary and were welcomed and treated fantastically throughout our stay. The room was beautifully appointed and we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel and grounds unaware that the best was to come! The food! It was truly exceptional ( and we are foodies ) We did not leave the hotel during our stay and cant wait to return...bravo!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon028X
Dear Simon028X, I have already passed on your recent stay with the team at the hotel. We have a very stable kitchen team and the quality of consistent food is excellent. I am pleased you have appreciated this along with the other aspects of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Kind Regards, John Price, Operations Manager.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We had our wedding at CH on the 3rd October; it really was better than we could have hoped for. The food, service, hotel, staff & the whole experience was truely amazing, we had such a special day.

We booked CH on an exclusive basis and Bryony the events manager needs a special mention because she was absoultly fantastic at organising the whole day from start to finish, CH have a real star in Bryony. We want to say a huge thank you to everyone at CH for making our day so special.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
antonysmith, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Welcome back both and thank you for taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

It was a fantastic day and one that all of us enjoyed being a part of. Charlton House is a wonderful setting for a wedding and it was a day that we will look back on a highlight of 2010.

We look forward to welcoming you back same time next year for the anniversary.

Best wishes
Geoff Green and all of the staff
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My partner and I are looking for wedding venues and so we choose a weekend away here on that basis. I have to say we weren't disappointed. We had a truly wonderful weekend, topped off by good weather. Our room was so comfortable it put coming home to shame. I think the most marvellous part of the weekend was the food. We had contemplated wandering into Shepton Mallet one evening but after our fantastic food on Friday night we changed our minds. The steak was simply to die for. We weren't disappointed by breakfast and were almost clock watching waiting for the next meal time to arrive.
I have to say this hotel is truly a gem in the West Country and we will definitely be back and I have to say we are seriously considering our holding our wedding here. The grounds are beautiful and I can just imagine myself sipping some champagne having my photos taken by the fountain.
The service received by the staff is second to none and every need was catered for. The hotel spa is also an added extra, whilst I didn't have any treatments this time, I will be booking some on my next visit - can't wait!

1 Thank monica058
Good afternoon Monica058

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It was an absolute pleasure to you have you and your partner stay with and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

Our steaks are prepared by the Aberfoyle butcher and Chef is very passionate about them, so its good for me to able to pass on this kind of feedback.

We have a very new team here that is growing day by day and I know that we would love to host your wedding. I will keep the champagne on ice and the diary ready for your next vist.

Kind regards

Bannatyne's Charlton House
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Dear trip advsior, my wife and I stayed down at Charlton House a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to treat ourselves to somewhere nice to stay for our anniversary (away from the kids!). We had read about this hotel and thought it was worth a try as we did not want to be in a busy town and fancied somewhere with spa facilities. It was a long drive from the North of the country but well worth it.
From the minute we arrived we were well looked after by the receptioist and were shown to our room, which was an exectutive double on the first floor. This was perfectly adequate and had a lovely view of the manicured gardens and loungers. Unfortunately, the weather was not nice enough to enjoy them (that's one thing you can't bank on). Anyway, we made our way to the beautiful spa where we were able to use the hydro pool and steam sauna as well as the outside jacuzzi!!
The food quality was excellent and the ambience made for a wonderful night. We did have quite a wait between food courses, but that was not a problem and there is nothing worse than being rushed in and out of a restaurant. We both had the beef which was lovely and was washed down nicely with a lovely bottle of Barolo. (we needed to order another glass to go with the cheese board which we picked for desert!).
After a good night sleep, we were able to enjoy newspapers with breakfast (paoched eggs were spot on) before our long journey home.
We thoroughly enjoyed our mini break, but really wished we had booked in for 2 nights to make the journey worthwhile. My wife was wishing she had time to book in for a treatment as well as the spa facility was great. No real complaints. Great hotel and overall very good value.

Good afternoon Johndarlo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Charlton House is a wonderful place to escape and unwind and no matter the weather our guests always manage to slow life down and enjoy the surroundings. The Spa is something we are very proud of with a host of treatments available.

I hope to see you for a 2 night break very soon.

Best wishes

Bannatyne's Charlton House
Glastonbury
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I too was a member of the group that visited Charlton House in September which apparently was made up of one Mr Chad who complained about a lack of vegetables. Personally, I enjoyed the evening. The ambience was lovely and overall l found the experience enjoyable.

What I do find disappointing, however was the management's response. Mr Bannatyne has unfortunately thrown all his teddies out of his pram in his reply. I was brought up to treat the customer as king, irrespective of how much they paid and to accept cirticism as an opportunity to further improve service.

• Stayed September 2010
7 Thank Mikelima48
antonysmith, Managing Director at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Dear Mikelima48

Your comments are very much appreciated and I am glad to note your enjoyment on the evening - ambience and experience

Our response made by management on a previous review was our view and facts of the evening, and also based on us reviewing the package that was booked for your party for that evening, to which we believed, is of good value and accordingly fully support our dedicated and hard working kitchen and serving teams

We hope you return to hopefully once again enjoy the actual experience, as you have done, which at the end of the day is what we strive to achieve.

Nigel Armstrong
Managing Director
Bannatyne Group
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

After being reccomended to vist The Charlton we had a few days off and decided we'd go. First impression was"it looks exactly like it did on the tin" so speak. Dan the receptionist (what a great guy made you feel special and welcome) introduced himself with a warm handshake and made us feel at ease straight away. We were told all about the spa, dinner, history of the hotel, the local area Dan oozed enthusiasum and charm for such a young man.
The room was a deluxe double with a stunning bathroom, it was beautiful. The actual hotel is made for relaxation and comfort.
we booked treatments in the spa and then went off to change for dinner. Service was excellent and friendly, they couldn't do enough for us.
the food was 5 star excellent, my husband had steak both nights and in his own words was excellent. I chose side dishes for starters and the accomodated my every whim. The whole stay was excellent, the food was excellent and the staff, manager, bar staff, spa staff everyone we came into contact with was more than happy to do what ever to make our stay special, and it was
Thanks very much Charlton House we'll be back and will reccomend you to everyone and anyone.
thanks again

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
antonysmith, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Good morning Mrs Hearn

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Dan, our receptionist is a true asset to the Hotel and Charlton House is all about making our guest feel relaxed the minute they arrive.

I am very proud of the food and staff and its great when the team are recognised for their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back to Charlton house in the near future.

Kind regards
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Apsley House Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!