“Be careful when you pay for treatments!”

Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Charlton House
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went to The Spa at Charlton House on a Saturday, we had a lovely day but there were some issues which ruined it.

We were left waiting when we arrived with no idea of what we were supposed to be doing. Eventually when we were approached, we were only provided with one locker between three of us and we had to exchange the robes as they had no cords.
Each time we asked for anything there was a delay due to the disorganisation of the reception staff.

When I went for my treatment (which was fantastic, by the way) I was left waiting a further 15 minutes while reception dealt with other things. Whilst lunch was delicious we were brought the wrong order, which had to be sent back.

Finally and most importantly, they have an online booking system which does not take payment in advance but appears to (it takes all of your details). The staff confirmed my treatment had already been paid for (as I had assumed) only to be abruptly awaken by a phone call on the following Sunday morning. I explained that I would have to check my online bank statements to confirm and call back, I noted at the time that my friend had also been accused of not paying even though she was in possession of a voucher, so I just wanted to check.

Once confirming online that the payment hadn't already been taken, I called back to a very smug receptionist (saying sarcastically "so what did you find?"), she then took payment over the 'phone. I explained that I didn't appreciate their approach and in particular, the accusation of theft (given that they had held my card details all day for the drinks tab), however the response was far from apologetic

Go to Charlton House spa if you like poor service and an early wake up call the next day!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Poor choice of food and quality was lacking. But Deluxe room is stunning, grounds are very peaceful and spa facility is amazingly good. Treatment organisation also quite poor as we couldn't get what we booked as they made a mistake with previous client so had to re-do their treatment. In turn didn't get whole out, only about 40minutes.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I mostly enjoyed my spa and thestaff were very friendly. I found the jets in the hydrotherapy pool very fierce, which was good but you need hand holds to stop yourself from floating away. This tended to neutralise your relaxation as you have to brace yourself. There was a lot of scum from the chlorine in the hot pool which was worrying...at least I hope it was from the chlorine. The steps in there havevery sharp edges..so beware when climbing out. The sandstone edges to the hydrotherapy pool are disintegrating leaving you with a handful of grit when you are hanging on! otherwise the jets are extremely efficient at loosening off hard muscles. Loved the steam room and the thoughtful addition of skin creams as well as the ice machine for a rub down.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We were in the area again and just popped in for a drink. This is a great place to go and say or just have dinner, lunch or just to pop in for a drink. The staff are always great and the hotel is wonderful. Looking forward to coming back soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Fantastic day at Charlton House, a very warm welcome from the Spa staff. The Spa itself is very clean and lovely atmosphere. The treatments were amazing, very good value and the girls are lovely and friendly, my massage was the best I have ever had. We were able to wander around the lounge and grounds in our robes and were able to eat on the terrace, amazing two course sunday lunch for £18.95. Fab day and will definitely return!