“Out of the ordinary”
Review of Bowlish House

Bowlish House
Ranked #6 of 36 Shepton Mallet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Fantastic hosts and an unusual but great place to stay. Very clean and comfortable with huge rooms and a warm and welcoming atmosphere. If you are looking for a unique place to say then this is it! Olde world charm and comfort

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The old house is full of quirky corners, sloping floors and added on bits. But the rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the food excellent, both dinner, cooked to order, and breakfast

This is all due to the friendly Welsh couple who run the place and to whom nothing is too much trouble. It is rare these days to find a Hotel or B&B breakfast at which you are not expected to serve yourself from a buffet. Not so at Bowlish, Everything is offered exactly as you would like it with a smile and a suggestion to enhance your stay.

We chose to stay here almost by sticking a pin in Somerset, but feel that we got a lucky break.

Worth a stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

When I go to a hotel, it's not just the look of the place that is important, it's the soul and the character, it's the service and helpfulness that we experience on our trip.

The couple that own the hotel do absolutely everything they can to ensure that you are comfortable and they are especially good and understanding with children. Always talking and communicating with them, rather than just ignoring them and the lady in particular did everything in her power to make myself and my boys feel welcomed and catered for.

They even coped with my milk and gluten-free diet, by making the muesli with apple juice and the eggs with no butter and so on, with no face pulling or making me feel like a pain but slickly, smoothly and professionally.

On the day that we went, the doors opened out onto their beautiful garden, with the sun streaming in through the dining room windows, it was such a pleasant stay and will always be a fond memory for me.

The couple were lovely to talk to and were really interested about why we were staying, which was to check out schools for the boys, as we are opening a new coffee shop, with personality on the High Street, the lady clapped her hands together and said, 'That is just what is needed.'

Really lovely stay, really lovely couple. The hotel and the couple are full of character and charm.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 694karenm
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We're just about to check out after a one night stay here at the start of our holiday. Really wish we were staying longer! The house itself has loads of character (yes, the walls/ceilings/floors are not straight, it isn't just your eyes!) but that adds to its charm. The real bonus were the couple who run it who are brilliant. Such friendly people are rare! We'll definitely be coming back and this will make a great base for visiting the area.

Room Tip: Room 5 was good, but generally I doubt you could find a bad room, the area is so quiet.
1  Thank JimmyJim1980
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We booked BB&EM after noting the 4 star Tripadviser rating and carefully reading the reviews shown. However we were really gutted on arrival, having traveled for 2 hours and played a round of golf nearby, to be told there was no cook and that our booked diner taken by the owner (to celebrate my wife's 65th birthday) was not to be. Apparently there was no cook, and the owner's husband at reception was absolutely unable to advise of any alternative place to eat, the owner not being around. This hotel seemed rather faded to us, we had Room 1 which was clean with a comfortable bed but the floor creaked, as did others in adjacent rooms, however the cooked breakfast was reasonable. I am afraid we have no plans to visit again

2  Thank Thomas J
Reviewed 24 June 2013

after staying for one night after moving from an awful hotel we enjoyed the Bowlish House hotel

The couple who we assume run the establishment were very kind and fell over themselves to make your stay enjoyable .

It feels like a quaint Georgian house --maybe not a chateau -but they make you feel at home

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed at Bowlish House for one night. I was travelling on business. I arrived after a long journey on Sunday (9th June) about 9.30 pm. I immediately felt relaxed and received a very warm welcome. Chef prepared a cooked meal and a lovely desert (naughty but nice). My room was impressive lots of space and a walk in separate wardrobe, in addittion to a contemporary bathroom.

The free Wifi was great and enabled me to catch up on work in my room. Although my stay was short I will not forget the Bowlish and highly recommend it.

Keep up the good work Chris and Val

The Thatched Cottage Inn
The Thatched Cottage Inn
#15 of 36 in Shepton Mallet
The Old Stables Bed & Breakfast

Been to Bowlish House? Share your experiences!