“Much better than some of the reviews on this site” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bowlish House

Bowlish House
Ranked #4 of 37 Shepton Mallet B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire
“Much better than some of the reviews on this site”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

I was a bit apprehensive about staying at this hotel after reading the reviews on this site, however upon check in my mind had been changed. I travelled with my boyfriend and friends, we upgraded to a kingsize room, however the smaller rooms up in the loft were more than adequate. Our room was clean with a well stocked mini-bar, and the service we recieved from staff was high. Nothing seemed like too much of a job, even taking our photos for Halloween.
There isn't much to do in the local area, we were advised to head down to Wells on the Friday evening but the ' city ' was dead. Lucky we were there for a big event on the Saturday!
I really enjoyed my stay at Bowlish House, if i was ever back in the area I would most definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

My husband and I booked a weekend in August for our friends wedding. My husband rang them about a week or two before the trip to let them know we would be arriving late as we were flying in from Dublin to Bristol airport that evening and they said that was fine. We decided to ring on the Friday just to remind them once more that we would be arriving late but they had absolutely no record of our booking! Despite the fact that we rang them the week before to say we would be arriving late ! We were due to go to the Dublin airport in 2 hours time for the wedding and we had no accommodation !After numerous phonecalls to the tourist board and other B & Bs, we managed to get a last minute reservation at The Swan Hotel in Wells instead, which was lovely. We were really well looked after. So If you're thinking about going to Bowlish House, I'd give it a miss if I were you. We could have been stranded in the middle of nowhere at 10 O' clock at night for the weekend if we hadnt rang a THIRD time to make sure everything was ok.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JillianMorkan
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I read the other reviews of this hotel prior to booking and expected a much higher quality of hotel. We were the only people staying and it felt like the Marie Celeste. The dining room for breakfast was dingy and deathly quiet until the vacuuming started. We weren't offered a cooked breakfast the first day and the 'continental' breakfast consisted of cereal, toast and some 'fizzy' yoghurt. The cooked breakfast the following day was good however. The service was friendly, but slightly distant. The plumbing was bad and the decor weird. I felt it was completely over priced and not really being run with a sense of conviction.

• Stayed July 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank donspeake
challenger08
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Booked late for a business trip and had to arrive late Sunday night. The hotel is normally closed Sunday evenings, but the person who took my booking said that there was no problem, they would make sure someone was there to let me in - and they did! Great welcome - no trouble whatsoever and very helpful. I was the only resident that night - never had that before - but I was made to feel very welcome and not at all as though I as putting them out in any way.
The hotel itself is very old and full of character, and consequently rather rambling and creaky inside. It was certainly clean, and my room was enormous, with a very comfortable four-poster bed, two easy chairs, good desk for work, great wardrobe and nice TV with freeview. Bathroom was very disappointing - very, very clean, but old and a bit of a curious design, and a sinl that I had to hold the plug open with to avoid filling the sink! It had a poor shower too. I have found this in many of the old hotels I have stayed at, so Bowlish isn't an exception. The floors in the bedroom were creaky in the extreme - everywhere I walked was noisy - fortunately I didn't hear a thing from elsewhere in the building, but was very aware of the noise created as I arrived so late!
Prices were very fair indeed - the mini-bar had some nice european lager and I didn't have to pay the earth for it.
Breakfast was fantastic - freshly cooked to order, served with good quality coffee. That was the only meal I took there - shame as Bowlish seems to market itself as a restaraunt with rooms, rather than a hotel, and the restaraunt looked attractive.

Check out was very easy, no problems.
I was able to work comfortably, sleep extremely well and then be fed well in the morning. Overall a very welcoming environment with staff who couldn't do enough for me. The scoring was hard - apart from the creaky floors and disappointing bathroom, my stay was enjoyable!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

Stayed here many times 2003 -2005, as well as using the hotel facilities we regularly brought friends and family to the restaurant.

We have since moved to the area so have no need to stay here but continue to visit the restaurant (when time and finances allow) and are so happy that we have decided to have our honeymoon there!!

The food is that best thing about Bowlish House. Welcoming reception is the 2nd best thing, and really cant think of the worst thing.. other than the bill when you check out!!

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Nowt
  • Stayed August 2003, travelled with family
Epsom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2007

What can I say - my partner and I stayed at Bowlish House for a weekend away from London. We were lucky to get a room and may I say thank goodness. The reception area looks like it has lovingly been restored with a front desk to boot! The welcome was friendly and check-in was a doddle. We were showed to our room and were pleasantly suprised especially after reading the review from 2006 by HMAX.
Dinner was one of the best I have had for years and the service was outstanding.
I would highly recommend this restaurant with rooms but book early to avoid disappointment!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Wasn't there long enough!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

Stayed for 2 nights in 2 rooms on 2nd floor. This is a beautiful building...from the outside!!! The entrance hall is pleasant, as is the lounge area however the rest of the place can be described as shabby at best and farcical at worst. The dining area has peeling paint, where the celing needs re-doing, and duct tape holding together the carpet in places. The bedrooms were large but were completely unreasonable for the price, they have painted roughly over the ceiling tiles, the carpet is old and worn, the wallpaper peeling and where they have tried to give it a bit of fresh paint the paintwork is patchy and paint has been splashed on beams, ceiling, the handles falling off the cupboard etc.. Both bedrooms had tiny windows, so very little natural light, the beds were really awful, in both rooms the double beds were like hammocks, which made sleeping very difficult as you were continually rolling into the middle. The bathrooms were the most farcical..one had an orange basin, beige bath & toilet- a toilet barely fixed to the wall and noisy plumbing and horrible old carpet- and bits of ply wood holding the shower curtain to the ceiling. The other bathroom although decorated better, had massive plumbing problems, the toilet literally did not flush- the toilet off the entrance hall had to be used instead, 2 flights down! The shower/bath also took an age to drain, which in itself doesnt sound like a problem but when having a shower the soap/shampoo woud sit on the top,rather than draining away- then when eventually empty and the next person uses the shower it is really slippery and dangerous- the plumbing problems were complained about but the management were not interested. At £80 a night it is ridiculous and I would warn people against wasting their money here. It seems that they are trying to get away with charging high prices in order to save up for their renovation works! it should be shut until it has been properly sorted out and is fit for people to stay in...in its current state it should be £30 a night per room....then people would have the appropriate expectation! it is no longer a wonder to me why this was the only place available over bank holiday weekend!

• Liked — the look from the outside
  • Disliked — pretty much everything inside!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
#6 of 37 in Shepton Mallet
Longbridge House
Longbridge House
#5 of 37 in Shepton Mallet

Been to Bowlish House? Share your experiences!